Integrate with concept2 PM5 indoor rowing

I think fitbit should integrate with the concept2 PM5 indoor rowing machine computer. They have an open API I believe, and would be able to provide a ton of great data.
This way, fitbit users could track their indoor rowing in depth along with other works and would not have to manually enter the data.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

9 Comments
SiouxsieQ
First Steps

Adding my fervent "yes" vote to Rubix1932's request that Fitbit integrate with Concept2 PM5 indoor rowing machine computer. Those of us who erg are burning a lot of calories and logging thousands of meters without getting credit for it.

@Rubix1932 wrote:
I think fitbit should integrate with the concept2 PM5 indoor rowing machine computer. They have an open API I believe, and would be able to provide a ton of great data.
This way, fitbit users could track their indoor rowing in depth along with other works and would not have to manually enter the data.

jaydubs
First Steps

I recently bought Fitbit Blaze and Concept2 indoor rower.  Disappointed that all the information gathered on rowers PM5 computer can not be intergreted with Blaze.  With the investment of the rower, this will be my primary cardiovascular workout.  

KahnTeam
First Steps

I agree wholeheartedly that Fitbit and the Concept2 PM5 should be integrated to have the erg data gathered by the Fitbit app. I have a Blaze and I would like the heart monitor information part of my PM5 workout, and I would like to have an exercise option on my Blaze that is labeled "Rowing". I had assumed that the integration would have been via the iPhone apps...

Susan_new
First Steps

I echo all the comments about having a way of automatically recording rowing activity on my Concept 2.

Thanks!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I can’t tell about possible future plans for this integration on our side, but I still wanted to highlight the fact that many integrations are done by the 3rd party application, service or product like this one. Even if we don’t do it ourselves, concept2 developers would be able to integrate with us by using our Web API. It gives the opportunities to read and write many user data (with their permission) . I suggest you contact them also to request this feature. I looked at their website and they don't have any API, but they have a SDK, so my guess is that a 3rd party software developer would also be able to do the integration and add your concept2 PM5 workout to Fitbit.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Dear community members, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit! We’d encourage you to make your suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly! Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

dalePrybylo
First Steps

Yojana, thanks, this may be good for 3rd party vendors to develop interfaces, and it was needed.  However, there should be a basic movement data that is distinct to a rowing motion that the accelerometer can detect, along with heartrate to indicate stress; this should be calculable to a basic steps/run/activity/calorie burn/etc.  This topic has been discussed for so long, I do not understand why something that seems rather simple to be done.  Maybe my choice of a charge 3 was wrong.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Dear community members, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit! We’d encourage you to make your suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly! Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.