Integrate with iOS Health

Hi there,

I'm really excited about Apple's announcement of the Health App in iOS 8 to be release this fall.  I'm looking forward to seeing a product announcement by Fitbit for a successor to the recalled Fitbit Force, and I'm really hoping to hear some exciting news about Fitbits intigration with Apple's new Health App to be released alongside iOS 8 this fall.  

This is a huge oportunity to make your devices even smarter and more integrated - Please support these APIs!  Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

4,966 Comments
Mikeybob
First Steps

I started having second thoughts about Fitbit and their judgement since I bought my devices in November, 2011 here in the UK.  For over a year, they told us the UK food database would be available in a couple of weeks. It never materialised. They finally told everyone to use myFitnessPal. (Lazy)

Now I find that while everyone else is moving to HealthKit, FitBit is going to hold my weight, steps, stairs, and fat% data hostage in their own app so nothing else can use it. You aren't that lazy and ill informed are you? Yes you are.

It's almost like you want to fail. See, I've already avoided your app because you told me to use myFitnessPal. I had no reason to use it. There was nothing there for me to use.  By avoiding HealthKit, you've now made my devices as useless as your app. I have no reason to use them.

I'll be putting my 2 fitbits and Aria Scale on ebay this afternoon.

Good luck with all that "avoiding what the market place expects" attitude you have.  I think you'll find the marketplace avoids you.

Mike

PS: You should have at least put up a fight with the Apple Watch.  Running away 5 months before it comes out makes you cowards.

Peshko
First Steps

I think you guys should start listening to your customers and stop serving corporate interests. At the end of the day we, the consumers, pay your salaries. My wife got her Fitbit on a raffle and beside the step counting it is full of bugs. I was considering Fitbit one, but since I read the "gready" response from Fitbit, I completely scratch it from the list. It is their right to choose direction, it is my right to choose someone else's product!

John-E
First Steps

Another vote for Health integration. With all of the fitness data accumulated over time, it only seems natural to embrace Apple's attempt at consolidating data from different sources so that the user has a single place to store and share their health data with their health practitioner and others as they see fit. There is no down side to playing nicely in the sandbox. Choosing not to implement this feature into the iOS app makes it seem that you are not looking out for your customers' best interests and are instead choosing to put your own in front of theirs. You will likely get a substantial migration of users away from this app in favor of ones that do integrate with Health. I have been waiting patiently for the update and was very dismayed to find out that Fitbit had deliberately chosen not to include compatibility with this platform. I really hope you change your mind, or I will use a different app in order to get that functionality.

michael89014
First Steps

Like many of the other people here, I'm hopeful Fitbit realizes the mistake of not working with Apple's Healthkit. I still have my Force (no issues with it), and I like the information I give it, but that information is mine, and I want it shared with Healthkit. I bought the Force to track MY health, not provide that information to Fitbit to make money if I want it back.

I'll patiently wait for Apple Watch to appear, and if it can track what my Force does now - I'll consider returning the Force and getting the Apple Watch - that's a no-brainer considering all of the other things that the Apple Watch will also do. Actually, I'll consider ANY other product that provides the intregration with HealthKit.

I sincerely hope you change your thinking on this, otherwise the Fitbit will be gone, and from all indications here, not just from my wrist.

Tcsmth56
Jogger

Does anyone know how often HealthVault and Fit Bit sync? Is it once a day, or constantly? i recently linked the two, and nothing appears on healthvault that I have on Fitbit.

bsalvato
Jogger

I think Fitbit messed up big time on this one.  Integration with HealthKit was what I was waiting for the most when iOS8 came out.  Now I don't get it?  It really does make you think about finding a new device that will do what you need it to do to get the most out of your money. Hello Apple Watch!

Doug_G
First Steps

Sync or swim.  If no fitbit integration by the time iWatch comes out - I'm swimming to iWatch.  I want the data exchange across several of my health apps because there's none that's good at everything (including Fitbit)

xfm
First Steps

Fitbit's decision not to support Apple HealthKit will mean that my wife and I will both be shopping for a new fitness band. While very pleased with our fitbit Flexes, we have both gotten new iPhone 6's and to not be able to use our Flexes with HealthKit is a deal-breaker. Sorry, fitbit. Bad, bad business decision I think you will ultimately regret.

Havenocents
Base Runner

When I first started using wearables I used the Nike Fuelband.  It provided me with the motivation to stay active, but unfortunately it was not a good product from a reliability standpoint.  Nike replaced it 4 times in one year, and their website was always down so you could never sync when you needed to do so. I managed to wear out two treadmills with that Nike, so I decided to go to an elliptical machine.

The Fitbit One was the perfect device for me.  Although I loved the convenience of wearing something on my wrist, I knew that a clip-on device would have a better chance of tracking my steps on the elliptical.  I loved the fitbit one.  It only tracked about 80% of my steps on the machine, but that was better than the 10% with the on the wrist Nike.  I got the added benefit of sleep tracking, and their website was rarely down.

After June's WWDC conference I couldn't wait to be able to put all of my health information into one place.  Since I was diabetic, I had information scattered into three programs, and it was driving me nuts.  Sometime I would enter things in one or two programs, and not in all of them so I really could not get an accurate picture of my health, nor could my doctor.  My Doctor's office uses MYCHART which will take advantage of the apple health program.

Like an idiot, I just assumed fitbit would be the first to integrate with the program since they were specifically mentioned as a partner during the WWDC address.  When they finally came out and said they were "watching it as it matures" I knew fitbit was not the company I thought it was.

So I immediately bought a withings pulse because they have promised to support healthkit.  With every tragedy comes a silver lining.  To my surprise I now have a device that can be worn like a Flex, or like the One.  I now have a device that accurately reflects ALL of my steps on the elliptical.  I now have a device that gives me more information about my sleep, and in a few days I will have a device that supports healthkit.

Thank you Fitbit!  You allowed me to open my eyes.

sgroscup
Stepping Up

Add my voice to the long list of Very disapointed cutomers that want access to my data via health kit.  I have many devices that include the Flex and Aria scale, BP monitor, that I want to have all the data in one central location with out having to rekey. 

wskydog
Jogger

Bad Fitbit Force, no replacement, no to HealthKit. Time to abondon Fitbit. I like a lot of things about it, but this "it's not your data" attitude is not what Fitbit needs. I know it takes time away from other features/fixes, but it has been 15 months!!! Come on Fitbit, you should be able to spare a couple of engineers to make HealthKit use an option.

GolfClub
First Steps

Just deleted the Fitbit app.

nokin
First Steps

I had stopped using fitbit a while ago, but thought the Health app would be a good opportunity to start using it again.... Obviously Fitbit was going to integrate with the Health app... Right? 

Wrong... guess I'll throw my fitbit back into the junk drawer. I think Fitbit is making a mistake (and is afraid).  

Ahorodny08
First Steps
Well since they don't have any plans to integrate, i don't have any plans to reccomend, or upgrade to another fitbit. Withings looks like a good option....
RocRaRa
First Steps

I find your decision not to integrate in with Health Kit sincerely disappointing. I have been wearing a Force since it came out and love it. I have also purchased the Aria scale. It has motivated me to exercise more then I ever have before. I was also planning to purchase Fitbit devices for my wife and daughter this coming holiday season. We also all own iPhones and have started to use Healthkit not just for exercise monitoring but health stats like blood pressure and heart rate. Instead of going to multiple apps to track my info I'd like to be able to see all of it in one place. So needless to say, unless Fitbit integrates with healthkit soon, I will be moving on to Jawbone.

Thaddeus
First Steps

Hey look, it's another company that I've supported and reccomended to friends with enthusiasm telling me they no longer want my money. 

Guess what, I know that user comments are never heard as loudly as corporate spokes-holes say they are, but listen to you. Pity, with the holidays coming up, I had plans to make some fitbit related purchases for friends and family. That plan has now changed. 

You might want to have a look at other products that announce "We have no plans to support (iPhone or related thing) and see how relevant they are now. Free advice.

lxcid
First Steps

As an Apple fan, no HealthKit integration is a deal breaker. Will definitely not consider to buy any fitbit products in the future if no integration takes place soon.

scottjl
First Steps

well this is pretty short-sighted. i'm happy with my fitbit unit for now, but when it comes time for replacement, without healthkit support, you won't be on the short list.

mshoo1
First Steps

Do not understand your decision not to embrace Healthkit integration given your historical support for open APIs.  If you want to be the central hub for patient generated health data, earn that position by creating a best in class user experience that drives customers to your website/app rather than Healthkit and/or your competitors.  Do not try to maintain your market position by simply refusing to play ball with Healthkit. 

No Healthkit integration = no future Fitbit purchases for me.  The unfortunate Force recall and your strategy re: Healthkit integration is making it easy for customers to migrate to your competitors.  Looks like I will be buying a Withings scale and an Apple Watch. 

Karell
Base Runner
The Apple community has been an extremely strong supporter of Fitbit, since the *very* early days. I first heard of Fitbit on an Apple-centric podcast and I was immediately excited about it. I pre-ordered the original Fitbit device, and when it stopped working (after several years) I excitedly bought a Fitbit One. Bluetooth syncing and stair-climbing? YES!! I've also been an early adopter of iPhone, as you would probably guess … but I find the M7 chip to be drastically under-counting my steps. I've tested my Fitbits several times and they're *extremely* accurate for me. I'll gladly keep purchasing Fitbit devices for their accuracy, but all my other apps insist on using the pathetically low step-counts from the M7 chip instead. I'd much prefer they had accurate data, especially if this data will be shared with healthcare providers in future. My point is this: The Apple community has always believed in you … we've supported & promoted you since day one. PLEASE don't abandon us!!
MarkG76
Base Runner

For all the people who are saying that Fitbit is trying to lock down user data and sell premium services, here is an IFTTT recipe (by Fitbit!) that sends your daily data to a Google spreadsheet https://ifttt.com/recipes/173925-add-your-fitbit-daily-activity-summaries-to-a-google-spreadsheet
More recipies here https://ifttt.com/p/fitbit/shared 

BrianInHouston
First Steps

Why would you not include this functionality directly when you provide it indirectly? I use MyFitnessPal and the data from my fitbit is passed through the app. Cut out the middle man and integrate directly. Everyone knows the Apple Watch is coming and it will also help with tracking information. I plan on continuing to use my fitbit alongside with the Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and gather as much data as I can. Fitbit, you have a leg up in that you provide a wonderful web interface, historical tracking and most of all the community! This looks like you are afraid of what Apple has pushed out when you should be embracing it and playing off your strengths.

mjr469p
First Steps

I've been a premium user on Fitbit since 2011. I have used multiple devices. The decision not to integrate with Apple is very disappointing. I have turned off my auto renew, and will not rejoin the premium. While the Apple watch offering is expensive, other fitness trackers are not-and many of them already have integration that Fitbit should have developed before now. I will be moving to another device-not because of any dislike with Fitbit, but because of their lack of vision. Sorry I bought the scale now as well......

WobmlingFree
Premium User
First Steps

I believe that is a very shortsighted view to take. I love your products and have been using them for years however I have other devices from other manufacturere (e.g. Withings, Garmin and Mio) and I want all the data in the same place. I will purchase devices as my needs dictate however they must be able to share data and with the launch of Healthkit it makes sense to keep it all there.

Simply put, if you won't fit into Healthkit then I can assure you that I will not consider any more of your 'new and exciting' products when they launch. Sorry about that.

mgcurry
First Steps

as an aria scale customer please suppoert healthkit, i use an aria scale and a jawbone up and want a central dashboard and not jawbones or fitbit's (jawbone syncs)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.