Integrate with iOS Health

Hi there,

I'm really excited about Apple's announcement of the Health App in iOS 8 to be release this fall.  I'm looking forward to seeing a product announcement by Fitbit for a successor to the recalled Fitbit Force, and I'm really hoping to hear some exciting news about Fitbits intigration with Apple's new Health App to be released alongside iOS 8 this fall.  

This is a huge oportunity to make your devices even smarter and more integrated - Please support these APIs!  Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

4,966 Comments
Bluejay
Runner
Now that phones track so much, I'll stick with what have until it breaks, then see what is available. Unrealated to fitbit, their are less responsive industries. I'm sick of having to change my glucose meter every year on my insuraces whim and none of that being compatible with anything else.

by GoOutside 3 hours ago

Fitbit has responded to twitter concerns with this:

"We haven’t integrated with HealthKit, but are interested to see where it goes and how it may impact people’s health."

Can you please post a link to this, I have been unable to find it, would love to read this "Official statement"

zoidberg
First Steps

Fitbit will be losing my business soon if they don't open up to Healthkit.

Wickety
First Steps

Please integrate the Fitbit with iOS Health App.  With the release of the the new iPhone 6 and 6+, more than 10 Million phones have sold.  The new iOS update is available for all iPhones from 4s, 5, 5c and 5s.  It would be great to have these be able to talk to each other.  I love my fitbit flex and would greatly appreciate the integration.

BlazeEBlake
Recovery Runner

Integration into HealthKit would be great! You guys should go for it, maybe in time for the release of the new band? Just saying.....

simon82
Premium User
Jogger

Its beyond any comment,

you just lost a customer fitbit!!

APPLE shut up and take my money for the Watch!!!

zips
First Steps

Bad business decision if not to merge with the Health app. This will be the future of home fitness/health evaluation and motivation. Like anything when it first starts (ex. the car) it does not start out exactly perfect, nor will it be. Its the companies that go into the unknown and grow with it become great. Companies that stand to the side because they are great already (Blackberry) fall because they didn't continue to innovate/take that risk. Please merge with the health app.

ShawnRamsey
Jogger

I think it is a serious mistake in not integrating with healthkit and Google fit.  Hopefully, they will wake up and address this, before they become irrelevant.  

go_robot_go
First Steps

Camelothosting:

The quote in question, "We haven’t integrated with HealthKit, but are interested to see where it goes and how it may impact people’s health.", can also be found on Fitbit's Facebook page.  Please read comments under their post from September 30, 2014, "Follow these 6 steps & feel better in the morning."  I find it funny that there are other comments from Fitbit directing people back to this forum thread.

There are some interesting takeaways from Fitbit's Facebook page, if you read back through their posts:

1) lots of health-related articles, very few product-related articles

2) The majority of comments on the articles are people asking about HealthKit integration or the Force successor

3) Official responses to HealthKit and Force questions are evasive and vague.

I'm afraid that this has also put me in the boat with others who want to continue on with Fitbit, but who are growing impatient with the complete lack of info about HealthKit plans, and who would rather buy a different company's fitness tracker than sit around and wait.

Havenocents
Base Runner

Here is the link from twitter fitbit support saying they will not support healthkit at this time.

https://twitter.com/FitbitSupport/status/517576571453202433

thanx for the link,  Im still confused as to why 1/2 their folks "DKS" 1/4 say not done and the rest say its submitted,  looks like I am apple watch bound when it comes out ( was going to get it anyway )

Havenocents
Base Runner

It is really sad that their whole organization seems to be without a clue.  I will be making a change also.  Until Apple can give battery life figures I will not commit to buying the appleWatch.  If you have to charge it daily, I will find an alternative.

tomandandy
Base Runner

Would like to see integration with IOS Health App.

Dkev26
Jogger

While I don't know if AppleWatch is a product I can commit to yet, I will say that Fitbit's seeming lack of interest in integrating with Healthkit or other health managment programs is really causing me to look around at other device options.  Don't get me wrong - my Ultra got me started and my Flex has been great (though I've had to replace failed units three times in two years).  But, since the Force, there's been nothing new on hardware, and seemingly no advancement in the software or integration side of things. I'm finding myself more and more tempted by other devices, but I hold off in hopes of hearing something - anything - from FitBit about their future plans.  Don't know how much longer I can hold off, as more tempting devices hit the market which integrate bettter with my lifestyle.

knkni
Powerwalker

I am in agreement with many users here. I remember signing up in 2009, before FitBit was even released, how exciting it was to see photos of prototypes, testing, even the package design ideas. It was a lot fun to see the Fitbit being born. As soon as orders were available I was right there ready to get mine. 

That is gone now, and after I turned in my Force, I have been left with wondering what is next. No blogs, or photos of new fitbits coming down the pipe. I was excited to see healthkit and looked for my Fitbit One to integrate, but alas we are here having to tally enough votes to make it worthwhile for developers to put it up on their pending list in SW development. 

I have a strong dedication to Fitbit, because I was never passionate to see a product come to fuition, until Fitbit, but even I see the limits approaching.  Smiley Frustrated Vote Submitted!

masc
Stepping Up

Please also for Fitbit Aria. Thanks.

Alessio
Jogger

I think that we should start to spam the social sphere with the advice to not buy any Fitbit device because the lack of integration with Healtkit.

I'm very disappointed 😞

khakha
First Steps

Yes, can we have an integration with Apple's Healthkit please. It would be best if Fitbit ecosystem and Apple's Health can aggregate the data in one place. 

go_robot_go
First Steps

I'm also leaning towards dumping my Fitbit One and Aria for a competitor's products.  I'm leaning towards either the Jawbone UP24 or Garmin Vivofit.

There may be a possible way around Fitbit's limitations, though. You can link Fitbit devices to MyFitnessPal, and My FitnessPal works with HealthKit.  They don't currently support importing anything other than dietary data into Health, but perhaps it would be possible for them to start sharing activity and weight data as well.  Might be worth all of us pestering MyFitnessPal until that gets done, if we're not getting any traction with Fitbit directly.

Rairhard
First Steps
Integration of the Fitbit and iPhone 6 health application would make so much better the experience for Fitbit users, and it would increase the members because the information displayed on the health app help you see a bigger picture on your overall stats. Please Fitbit make it happen soon!!!
jeremyj
Keeping Pace

Dear Fitbit

I am a programmer, let me know if you need help with Healthkit integration...

Not so loyal fitbit user.

simon82
Premium User
Jogger

Garmin Vivosmart looks even better than Vivofit;)

KimVol
First Steps

Extremely disappointed in the lack of communication of this request and like others look around for other trackers that are more Health compatible. 

Not communicating or clearly communicating is the death of a good product, you can become irrelavant on short notice if that is the path you choose. Don't let that happen when you have such a large following.

Stop focussing on overpriced wristbands and focus on your core business, tracking and making it possible to follow the track on different platforms.

impatient early adopter

Havenocents
Base Runner

Garmin has had some pretty bad reviews on the internet.  I have a set rule on buying anything.  I add the 5 and 4 star reviews and divide it by the 1 and 2 star reviews.  If it doesn't at least have a 5-1 ratio I will not buy the product.  Garmin has less than 3-1. No dice for me.

The fitbit one has almost a 9-1 ratio.

msupreme2284
Keeping Pace

Please consider healthkit support for your iOS application.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.