Integrate with iOS Health

Hi there,

I'm really excited about Apple's announcement of the Health App in iOS 8 to be release this fall.  I'm looking forward to seeing a product announcement by Fitbit for a successor to the recalled Fitbit Force, and I'm really hoping to hear some exciting news about Fitbits intigration with Apple's new Health App to be released alongside iOS 8 this fall.  

This is a huge oportunity to make your devices even smarter and more integrated - Please support these APIs!  Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

4,966 Comments
Bluejay
Runner

erodriguez87

Has hit the nail on the head. Open honest communication is vital.

Take for example Trackr. The have a new product coming out with early backers on Indiegogo. They post pictures of prototypes and changes. People don't fear giving them money because of the open honest communication.

Fitbit needs to talk to us. Remember that we once liked their products, mostly will still like them if we are not kept in the dark.

Mattyfit2014
Jogger
Poor decision fitbit to not integrate with the apples health app, I think you have now made the minds up of many potentially new customers with the iPhone to go with the competition and loyal customers alike to start doing the same. I hope you reverse your decision in the coming days!
Jarrod
Jogger

Fitbit too, likes to live dangerously. So instead, you are fine with integration with HealthVault by Microsoft?

Fiddlesticks
Stepping Up

So disappointed by this. If it's not integrated by Christmas I'll switch to another tracker, probably put it on my Xmas list! All my other health data is in the health app now, except Fitbit. I either have to copy info across manually each day which is horribly tiresome, or I'm missing the most vital piece of the puzzle - my activity throughout the day!

If you actually do consider integrating, I would mainly want to see steps, calories and sleep info written from Fitbit to health kit.

swoolley
First Steps

Your decision to not support HealthKit is bewildering, shortsighted, and a sure sign that you don't plan on being in business for much longer. 

Any idea on how much I can get for my Fitbit Flex on eBay? My guess is almost nothing.

Good luck and good riddance!

dtalksall
Tempo Runner

Thoughts on the Misfit Shine as a Fitbit One replacement? 

Bluejay
Runner

If you intergrate the thing I want most is importing health kit blood glucose, blood presure, body temperature numbers.

HermanMG
Jogger

I'm upset over this news but it's not the end of the world @zapleahy and I know I'll catch hell for this but all @zapleahy said was that the company was still looking into things but hasn't shut the door on anything. Sure would a better response than a PR spin be better? Yes but companies bigger than Fitbi do this all the time, hell politications do it as well. My point is, if you must leave then do so quietly. And yes I was the one asking for other apps but I realized who cares, Fitbit is still good enough for me, if they intergrate then they do, if not, oh well. It's not the end of the world. Mini rant done.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Wow! Allison, unbelievable, you could not be more condescending if you tried.

BlazeEBlake
Recovery Runner

@HermanMG  The thing is, as many have said before, fitbit has thus far been a great company with some of the best devices out there. But, none of their products are cheap and if I'm going to throw down my money I want my purchase to have as many of the features I want as possible. No HealthKit integration isn't a deal breaker, but piled onto feeling ignored, carelessly pacified, and being presented with no positive change or new devices almost a year after the recall of what was arguably one of their best devices feels like enough. Just saying.

And as far as people leaving quickly, I feel like there are hold outs with one foot out the door because they're still holding out hope that they will actually be heard (after all of this) and things will change for the better. And they have evey right to go about it that way.

HermanMG
Jogger

@BlazeEBlake I totally understand the frustration that many have expressed in this and many other threads, I was mostly being selfish and focusing on my feeling on this but I get what you mean with everything that you posted.

I also edited quickly and changed it to quietly but I realized that I'm complaining loudly as well, in a sense.                               

magiic
Jogger

I want to see all my calories in and out feed into HealthKit. I use two other apps to track my exercises and I would like to see all the data in one place.

jvsanchez
First Steps

That's pretty disappointing. I bought a fitbit a few months ago to help me get back into shape, and I really like it. But I don't understand why you would limit the experience on iOS. For the money I spent, I'd like to get the maximum amount of usefulness out of my product, and that includes healthkit integration. 

Here's hoping for integration, otherwise I'll be moving on to a different tracker in the near future. 

Mattatarian
Stepping Up
"Under Consideration"? After 42 pages on this thread alone, what on Earth is there to consider if you want to stay relevant, keep your customers, and add new ones? It's not hard at all and its pretty obvious what everyone wants: we just want our Fitbit data to be shared with HealthKit.
BlazeEBlake
Recovery Runner

@HermanMG  I understand. We're all frustrated in our own way here.

Alacaeriel
Walker

Right... So it took almost 2 months, a thousand comments, and 600+ votes to get this into "under consideration"? 

Yes, I'm whinging loudly. I am a customer and a supporter of this company. I want my Aria scale to integrate, showing my weight and body fat percentage. I want me step count and sleep monitoring to be visible. 

the fact that you, @Amanda, are still asking for what we want added? How about you read or mark the ones you have read so we can see what you have noted down, too? Otherwise, we will continue to wonder if it was only moved to "under consideration" to calm us all down. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not good enough guys - you are part of the health ecosystem here, not the whole solution.  If you try to monopolise the data you are gathering you will lose market to people who are willing to play nicely with others.

AAnderson10
Recovery Runner

If this helps any Fitbit person that is still wondering what we want to see in an Apple Health integration, here is what I had envisioned when Health was announced in June. 

I have a few few different apps to track health data, some of which integrate with Fitbit, some of which don't simply because of what those apps do. What I envisioned is to have Fitbit, along with all of these other apps, all sync data with Health so I could walk into my doctor's office for my yearly check up and say, "here are all of my stats - my daily activity, calories in/out, weight, etc." without having to log into Fitbit, Waterlogged, and all of the other apps and wasting time when I need a bigger picture that includes, but isn't limited to, fitness and weight. 

Personally, integrating with Health wouldnt navigate me away from the Fitbit app completely. I like Fitbit's app for what it does, but if this is a company that wants to promote health and wellness, why not want to be a part of a bigger picture?

Bluejay
Runner

Just in case it got lost in the noise.

What I want to do with Health integration.

I want ot log my food with MFP, my cardio with DigiFit, water with WaterLogged and my activity with Fitbit. Which I do now. I view all the data in the fitbit app. I like the app.

But with health integration, I could see my blood sugar there. Sure I could log it in fit bit now, on the website not the app (I don't use the websites for much). But I don't manually log my blood sugar. I'm dysgraphic and dyslexic every time I read and then right something down there is great chance for human error. I use apps and meter that sync to my phone. Once those apps are in Health I'll be a happy camper.

Bluejay
Runner

In fact one of the flaws of MFP's app is that you can't really see a per meal carbs number. They focus on the daily value. So I log me food on MFP, then look at the entry on Fitbit and have to write that into my glucose app. Which is huge bother.

BDew
First Steps

I would like the app to tie to HealthKit also.  Thanks!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

FYI withings app now has HealthKit integration 

jklinck
Premium User
Jogger
Yes!! I am anxious to have you integrate the Fitbit app with the Apple HealthKit. I have to manually transfer data over now and it is actual nuisance
BVonRoth
First Steps

Why is it so friggin hard for the data that is collected by the fitbit app to be available in the health app? i do not carry my phone with me and want my steps to be recognised from my fitbit, not only that, i want all data collected by my fitbit flex to be available in Health!

Either intergrate with health, or offer a buy back scheme for the devices, you have pissed off a great many people with your BS statement of "We do not currently have plans to integrate with HealthKit"

smarten up!

robert01001
First Steps

How on earth could you believe it's a good idea not to support HealthKit!? This is absurd. Good thing my new iPhone will track steps and stairs because my Fitbit One is going down the toilet at this news...

Thanks for a fun 3 years and good luck!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.