Kayak app on Versa series

Is there any plans to create a kayak app on the New Ionic. It would be great to record paddle strokes as well as your heart rate and GPS route. I have had a surge for a while now but not being able to use it for my sport is a bit of a downside that has made me consider other watches. But with the ionic being useable on the water is a game changer for me. Please think about it. Not everyone's gym is indoors. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

99 Comments
ccwalburn
First Steps

I just want to add another vote to be able to track kayaking on my Fitbit!

bradh099
First Steps

Hi just got a Fitbit and wanted to track my kayaking. I use a great app on my iPhone called Paddlelogger and was hoping here would be something similar or a Fitbit version of it. Very concerned by the comments above and am now considering purchasing a different device

rceskavich
Recovery Runner

I have been using the Running shortcut.  It helps a bit with tracking route, distance and a general pace but not ideal.  Seems people have been waiting a very long time for some developer to come up with this exercise shortcut.  I am not counting on that happening anytime soon.  If it is an important feature to you I recommend go with another device.

alicat88
Recovery Runner

I just bought a versa because I thought I could add the app shown on the developer page that show one called kayaktrak.  Well now I see I can't because it doesn't actually exist.  I kayak at least once a week during the spring and summer and will be going on a charity 7.5 mile kayak trip in about 6 weeks.  I hope this comes to life before then but honestly I'm not holding my breathe.

Crackers58
First Steps
No don’t hold your breath I have been asking for this for the best part of 2 years.

Cheers
Col Cracknell
Sent from my iPad
SavannaGail
First Steps

I would also love a kayak exercise feature! Please consider this!

Lindseymarie123
First Steps

Would love for a kayaking to be tracked with GPS capabilities!!

Kilt
Recovery Runner

Summer is coming...sure would be great if a friendly neighborhood fitbit moderator had some kind of update for us, right?

Crackers58
First Steps
Don’t hold your breath waiting for a moderator or anyone else from Fitbit to respond to this thread. I have not had a single official response from any developers or Fitbit since I created this thread well over 12 months ago. I am over it and don’t use my Fitbit anymore and won’t be buying another Fitbit product anytime soon.

Cheers
Col Cracknell
Sent from my iPad
Codyman
Jogger
I totally agree - enough time has gone by without a word from Fitbit. One can hope someone from Fitbit will respond.

Sandy Smith
Kilt
Recovery Runner

For what it is worth, I just went to the Ionic app store, and it looks like an independent developer created a Kayaking app as of May 1.

alicat88
Recovery Runner

Yeah I found the app about a week and a half ago.  I didnt want to say anything about the app until I used it.  I used it for the first time on 5/4/2019 and it works okay.  I was on a 7.5 mile paddle trip for charity and the app actually stopped working two times while on the 7.5 trip.  and when i say stopped working i mean it paused in tracking the data it never actually shut down.  It does cost $2 USD but to me thats not bad.  It does say if you delete the app you can get a code to get the app back at no additional cost.  It also gives you a free 6 hour trial but I waited to long to try that.  I dont however like that once you finish your "trip" and view the logged data you cant go back in a view it at a later date.  but its still new and maybe the developer is working on that or could add that feature in a future update.  anyway thats my thoughts on the app.  hope this helps yall.

alicat88
Recovery Runner

oh and the app has GPS tracking.  with my versa it track it by my phones GPS i believe because it did tell me how many miles i traveled.

Kilt
Recovery Runner

Thanks, @alicat88, good call and great review!  

That's a bummer that it doesn't allow you to go back and check out previous trips (like how we can go back and view fitbit mapped runs in a browser).  That's one of the best parts--reliving a fun trip.

I'm going to stay optimistic here and hope that fitbit programmers see the value of a native kayak exercise feature, and that they go ahead and create a free software update for all us Ionic and Versa users.

dbrewer7
Jogger

I would love to upgrade my Fitbit, but refuse because tracking my paddling isn't an option. I see it's been requested for many years. Too bad.

Ringsman
First Steps
Hey alicat88,
Using my Fitbit Ionic synced with an old iPhone 5s I have been able to use
the biking window to track progress of my rows (or kayaking) with speed
over distance, heart rate and map out where I've been which is saved as the
their data program normally would. I think it would do the same with the
hiking or running windows, any off them which include GPS tracking. The
resulting maps show up on a map of the lake I use to row. And it has been
quite accurate showing a very long narrow loop when I return a few yards
closer to shore than I went out.
Th only thing which would make it a better rowing or kayaking or canoeing
app would be if they could use the motion sensors in the watch which
automatically turn on the face of the watch to indicate stroke rates.
Ringsman
Disksuite
Jogger

Please add kayak and canoe tracking under the excercise tab 

Canadienna
First Steps

We really need a dedicated paddling shortcut for this app. 

There is already a suggestion thread open with lots of unhappy folks but it's been locked for some reason, making it impossible for me to add my voice to the masses who can't believe 5 years later we still have no kayaking option.

None of the other exercise shortcuts track paddling accurately. What is the point of buying a premium fitbit if you don't improve after so many years.

Thanks, 

TinaLaVie
First Steps

I really would love to be able to track my kayaking around the lake! Please consider adding this. 

Gbutto
First Steps

I bought a waterproof Versa so that I could use it while kayaking. Please

at least respond with how many people would have to “like” or

request this app for it actually move to a developer 

Codyman
Jogger
Hi, Maxim has developed a kayaking app. It is now available on the Versa. I have tried it a couple of times but it does not appear to work very well keeping the data. There was a not saying that coordination was occurring with Fitbit together the 2 to work better. Cost is $2.

Sandy Smith
Makule_Strong
First Steps
Yes please
Disksuite
Jogger
Yes! Kayak app please ! Think about the explosion in the sheer number of
kayaks, the app is in high demand

Gene Loriot
Codyman
Jogger
Hillymum
Recovery Runner

Adding another vote for a kayaking/paddling/rowing app!! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.