Kinetic self charge fitbits

My idea is that the fitbits should be kinetic. Fitbit is all about being active, if you have to take your Fitbit off all the time to charge your activity tracker will be stop start. If the Fitbit charged with your movement and activness you would never have to take it off. With the technology that is in watches now this is defiantly possible. 

Moderator Edit: Updated label

35 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Repost from my Help Forum topic but:

So here's a great design idea for Fitbit: Design a Flex module or wristband that uses the kinetic energy you generate to charge the Flex. This would elimiinate the need to charge the device at all - if it goes flat it means you're not moving enough (or dead). :smileyvery-happy:

Combine this type of green tech with a OLED display like the Force has, and I'll gladly buy the new wristband.

Here's SEIKO's watches that use kinetic energy to recharge:

http://www.seikowatches.com/world/technology/kinetic/index.html

Let me know when you want someone to beta test this!

LissaW
First Steps
I support and agree, it would be better if it charges with kinetic energy as this is what we do.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Will be very awesome Cat Happy

MartinWalker666
First Steps

Just thinking it might be a nice to have kinetic charging on the devices, so you don't have to take them off... In a similar way to kinetic watches... The more you move the better the charge...

Thoughts?

TobiasF
Strider

would be great if energy can be generated from movement as some Seiko watches do so for years, not sure if such motion generator can produce enough to power up a flex but it's a cool idea to think you never need to charge your flex again as it produced energy by itself .... big marketing plus!

PalmyDays
Recovery Runner

I have seen a few comment on these topics but I would consider the best option would be to combine all 3.

I have a manual job that varies quite a lot from painting to joinery, gardening to buildting & quite a few other tasks. The Fitbit Charge that I have just recieved obviously cannot cope with that sort of activity.

One thing I have noted is that not all walkers swing their arms, when working I am often carrying things so neither do I! However the one thing all walkers do is move their legs so a belt clip or ankle device might be good but when I am at work I wear boots also when fell walking so an ankle device would not be suitable then.

Like many I swim too & would like to record my activity on the go as it were but that is not possible currently due to the effects upon my device, also whilst working & exercising my perspiration can perhaps be an issue (?).

Finally we come to that awkward question of charging the device, I'm not sure about everyone else but I can never really plan my week so well that I can configure some time sufficient to charge my device or even to tell when it will need recharged.

So much to think about when all we really want to do is get on, exercise & lose some weight.

Hope the comments & ideas are helpful.

Regards,

Dave.

NadiaH
First Steps

My friend has a watch that doesn't use a battery in the way that most do. The battery is charged by movement.  If the watch is taken off and unused the watch will die.  I think this would be a fantastic idea for the fitbit!!! If the fitbit could charge itself as you are walking, moving, whatevering.  My biggest complaint is that it always seems to be dead but if you could incorperate this technology into the fitbit that way it will esentally never die, I for one would be happy, even if that means a slight increase in size. .  I also feel that it would be a huge leg up on the competition. 

pavelca
First Steps

Excellent idea. I for one would accept a slightly large/heavier device if it was self-charging

CyberSam
Jogger

Awesome Idea!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's like magic Heart

TabbyCat02
Jogger

Love it!!!

Vbnoah
First Steps
A definite necessity. I kept thinking solar as I am outside a lot, however I love the kinetic idea also.
Turisas
Keeping Pace
maybe it would be more useful to use a light charging technology like citizen does with their watches. it will be lighter than a kinetic converter mechanics and it would be possible to calibrate solar cell to visible light spectrum to catch artificial light too.
helicopter1955
First Steps
I also thought that they should be solar charged. It's a simple process. I've had and was using a solar watch for years until I bought the Surge. It never went dead. Took a licking and kept on ticking.
MCEnterprise
First Steps
Movement to charge and or solar would be great. I have a watch that is charged by sun and can be in the dark for 6 months before it needs to be re-charged. Of course it doesn't have functions like Fitbit lol. And I know there are watches that charge by movement. I hate having to take off the Fitbit to charge it, that seems to be when I have the met movement at home. Or I'll try to charge it in the vehicle when I'm driving, but that never seems to be long enough.
Xgymdude
Jogger
I think that kinetic would be marginally better than solar power for a few reasons. Although being a slightly heavier option, it would not only charge through regular daily activity but also during sleep (personally, I fidget) and during the fitness regime for which that trackers are used. I also have a solar watch which is titanium and very lightweight, this may also be an option to make the tracker lighter.
BekaS
First Steps

I HATE having to take my Fitbit off to charge it! Have it run on kinetic energy so I don't have to! My movement powers the fitbit!

Moderator edit: added labels 

JennyJenn
Base Runner

I LOVE this idea! I don't know how the technology works, but maybe a hybrid between kinetic movement and solar power would work to keep the devices not so bulky or heavy. Some company is going to do this - think of the brilliant marketing they could do! A fitness device designed to motivate you to move - that you charge by moving!

I hope FitBit will be that company!

(I also don't like removing my FitBit to charge it.)

Jomard19
Jogger
This is a fantastic idea! I hate to take my Charge HR FITBIT off. I've been wearing it to bed, so I can monitor my sleep.
Of course, I can just charge it every few nights. That'll work.
Cuebea
First Steps

I remember my father having a watch that was self winding? With motion? Wouldn't it be great if Fitbit could come up with a design that charged itself by motion? Because isn't that what is all about moving ?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That be splendiferous @Cuebea

The idea has been suggested previously here, feel free to add your vote / comment:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Kinetic-self-charge-fitbits/idi-p/1331794

Cuebea
First Steps
I agree....kinetic charging just makes sense.
midkiffdn
First Steps
Yes! Love this idea! It doesn't make sense to take it off to charge it all the time when it's a activity tracking watch.
Jomard19
Jogger
Fantastic idea!
YorkshireTyke
Walker
I have a dive watch that i have used everyday for the past 13years that has a PV cell in the display. If Pulsar could do this back then why dont fitbit do it now as current PV cells are far more efctive with a higher current per sq in
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.