Live Elevation Data (including changes during run/walk) on Fitbit device

The Surge has this super-fancy barometric altimeter, as well as GPS. This feature is only available on the most top-end navigation devices, yet we don't have access to elevation data. Let's see it!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

134 Comments
Danawilhelm
First Steps
Can you please add a feature to track the elevation change while you are tracking a running or walking activity and update calories burned.
branning
Base Runner

No, I have been able to access the GPS-based elevation data just fine. The barimetric altimeter is what I'm talking about. It should still be available even if you're not collecting GPS data.

acousticbiker
Jogger
Agreed - there should be a way of just seeing the current altitude on the Surge itself (very important for those of us that do training in the mountains)
branning
Base Runner

@RickyFitbit the original intent of the feature request was to display the elevation on the Surge itself live in the field during the activity, regardless whether the source was the GPS or barimetric data. This feature doesn't exist, please remove the existing feature tag, or I can make another feature request for the same feature.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RickyFitbit
Cross-Country Runner

Thanks for clarifying @branning ! I've changed the status of this request to Reviewed by Moderator. I'll go ahead and forward this request as well.

smarth
First Steps
It would be nice to be able to see current elevation on display (expressed in ft. or meters). It would also be nice to be able to see one's total elevation gain in the tracks section of the app and not just on the log on the tracker immediately after an activity.
Kodera99
Runner

i need live altitude data displayed on the surge for hiking in the mountains. 

thx

I90hiker
Stepping Up

I too am very disappointed the live eleation gain/loss is not displayed while on the hike. Waiting to synch after the fact is not helpful on the mountain trails. Please work on this for a future update.

Kyle_B
First Steps

The charge and other devices already have an altimeter to track your stairs each day. I do a lot of climbing, biking, skiing, hiking, etc. so I think it would be really kool if I could see my current elevation on my fitbit. I have not looked into the exact altimeter hardware fitbit is using internally, but I would assume as long as the hardware is capable the code would not be that exstensive to complete this task. Just an idea Smiley Very Happy

venak
Recovery Runner
It would be extremely useful to be able to access elevation via surge, hopefully can be done with firmware update. Maybe a short term fix is to offer a way to connect via Bluetooth to app that gives current elevation info.
MikeF
10K Racer

I guess a relative elevation measure wouldn't be too hard to implement (standard pressure altitude). The hard thing would be to explain to the user community what Pressure altitude actually means and why it changes over time while the user is standing in one place.

venak
Recovery Runner
Mike, Thanks for the reply. Ideal would be a reading of current elevation on surge. Second best would be to sync phone and be able to see current altitude. One can use the elevation reading to progress/validate trip. Here is a feature of a GPS/Altimeter watch I found... Enjoy high-sensitivity GPS positioning with automatic calibrating altimeter, barometer and 3-axis compass I don't know what the effort is behind callibration. Just throwing out ideas/questions...
venak
Recovery Runner
The thing is when I am out hiking or backcountry skiing I rarely just go up, the floors climbed is kind of useless other than for an "atta boy" kinda feeling. It is important in some cases to know my current elevation - for example when skiing I may know there was buried frost that create heightened avalanche conditions starting at a certain altitude. When hiking I may know a certain pass is at a given altitude when following a ridge line. I can also track how far I have descended and make assessments based on conditions and remaining distance to route choices. Bottom line, in the outdoors, elevation is a key piece of information... We have the technology, whether by using the GPS or Altimeter in the surge. It should be implemented via the device or at least as a way to sync up data and see that current info in a smart phone. In reviewing altimeter watches, for them to work accurately you have to set calibrate them based on a known elevation that day... You can use your home's elevation or calibrate at a trailhead. I could see this being confusing to users and it makes sense to keep it off the default watch displays, but it would be nice to integrate that option somewhere.
papatwo
First Steps

I echo others.  Please strongly consider equipping the Fitbit Surge with an altimeter that accurately reads elevation change during a walk/hike/flight.  Showing the number of floors climbed is not enough information for me.  When I climb 300 ft on a hike, I want the heart rate monitoring Surge to also accurately show the 300 feet elevation increase.

Martin_Dahl
Jogger

This feature would also be useful in rock climbing where stairs are not counted.

Missis
First Steps

I'm hiking in the mountains. I would LOVE to be able to see a graph showing my "ups and down" during the hike. As fun as it is to see "stairs climbed" a graph would be very helpful too.

Pretty please? Like really soon?

btw, I love, love love my surge.

Michael
5K Racer

@Missis If you use the GPS function of the Surge to track your Hike you would get an elevation graph in addition to your map that would show the ups and downs...

Missis
First Steps

Hi Michel.

Thank you for helping me. I didn't know. Out of habit, I've just used the "track exercise" in the app on my phone. I'll try the hike-function on my surge next time.

Missis

rpost
Premium User
Jogger

By any change are you working on an update that will allow the Surge to display realtime Elevation stats while working out?   I do a lot of trail running and hiking, I'd love to see what the altitude is mid-workout.  

Seeing how much elevation i got after a workout is cool but knowing that i have 800 feet of a 2000 foot climb left to go (mid workout) would be fantastic.  

LeChamp
Premium User
Jogger

Yes, it would be very useful to have an altimeter reading for hike/bike/ski in the mountains.

matlu
First Steps

Yes Elevation gain is a basic feature that for some reason is not available on the Surge. With my old Fitbit Force I could see the number of floors gained during a hike so no execuse to not have this feature implemented on the Surge.

marklee
First Steps

Live altitude would be great for Hiking, Cycling, Running, etc. I live in the west and almost every trail involves a good climb! It would be nice to see live altitude as one of displays that can be swiped in. Even gps altitude, which sometimes is not accurate, would be useful. Blending it with the altimeter wouid be even better.

KeithG
Premium User
First Steps

For those of us who do hiking and climbing in alpine areas, altitude is one of the most important factors.

It would be really useful to have the current altiude displayable on the normal scroll screen (battery saving for multi day expeditions) or at least on the hiking activity tracker screen.

Cheers

puregto
Jogger

Michael

I do not see such a graph on my data. I use the gps function on both hiking and biking.

any help would be appreciated

KevinMc
First Steps

Would be good to track altitude on walks and bike rides, and to use this to detail how much ascent and descent has been completed in each activity.  I have a Surge device but this would be useful across the range.

Regards

Moderator edit: labels and subject for clarity.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.