Longer Screen Time for Charge Trackers

I purchased my charge 3 after seeing it would have a Screen Time out Option.  It shipped without one.  Moderator Kate says it’s not available at this time.  The manual is now being changed to reflect that.

I really, really want/need that option.  It was the reason I chose the Charge.  That and my 50’s year old eyes.  The current screen only stays on for 3-4 seconds.  That is a very short amount of time.  I have to repeated tap the screen to read a text that comes in.  IF we are going to have the ability to get notifications, we need the ability to read them.

Please Fitbit, give us the option that was originally in the manual to change the screen time out.  The Versa has it, so I know it can be done.

Moderator edit: Title

1,090 Comments
MrPuma
Runner

Definitely worth to add it. The Versa has this option and the Charge 3 should have it too. 3 seconds is way too short to check and analyze your heartrate for example

AbsoluteBurn
Recovery Runner

This is important as it is currently degrading the user experience significantly.

Enprevo
Recovery Runner

Definitively agree with that. It's something incredible there's no option.....

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I purchased my charge 3 after seeing it would have a Screen Time out Option.  It shipped without one.  Moderator Kate says it’s not available at this time.  The manual is now being changed to reflect that.

I really, really want/need that option.  It was the reason I chose the Charge.  That and my 50’s year old eyes.  The current screen only stays on for 3-4 seconds.  That is a very short amount of time.  I have to repeated tap the screen to read a text that comes in.  IF we are going to have the ability to get notifications, we need the ability to read them.

Please Fitbit, give us the option that was originally in the manual to change the screen time out.  The Versa has it, so I know it can be done.

ShelWad
Jogger

Agree with all of the above.  Switched over from a Garmin Vivosmart HR and so far not liking certain features such as the short screen time out and no date option.  Wish I would have done more research.  Definitely hope that this can be improved.

hondomc
Jogger

I would prefer #8.

YairS
Jogger

My brain does not process anything in 3-4 seconds let alone a watch face.  Please add setting.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Incredible. Just got a FBC 3 for my birthday. TO SEE MY HR WHILE EXCERCISING. But no. Bummer. 

Please make that option available quickly: screen remains on while on excercise. 

4pinkstarsAK
First Steps

This is my first fitness tracker and I chose the Charge 3 because of the water resistant to 50 meters feature. But I, like other users, barely have time to read the 3 stats on the screen before it goes black again. Please, please, please add a feature to increase the time this stays "awake"!

Hschell13
Jogger

I bought this with the idea that I can choose how long the screen stayed on for as I am a nursing student and need that option for counting pulse and respiration rates! Very disappointed it doesnt have this function. Please update it to do so

Ssmith900
First Steps

The whole reason I upgraded to a charge was to have a clock that I can see the time and the unit is not very responsive to touch or twist. I want to enable an always on display. This should be an easy programming fix to let users choose how long the face stays on either 5 sec, 30 sec, 1 min , or always on or something like that. If battery is a concern then add a clock face that I can select with a minimal clock face to preserve battery.

1sthedgiemom
Jogger

I think this is a wonderful idea.  I'm often so busy at work, that by the time I can actually get to see what the notification was,it has already disappeared and I have to hit it again and often again just to get a glimpse of what it said.

GrahamM8
First Steps

I bought this to check my heart rate regularly.

The Garmin Vivosmart 4 had a good timeout selection of options, and had a better wrist movement activation.

the down side was that the display was too small for me to read.

So I switched to this new Fitbit version 3.

The HR is a much better display but the wrist shake activation and timeout are quite poor.

Trying to activate by wrist flicking is inconsistent and looks ridiculous and comical when in company.

Melmor11
First Steps

Please do not remove the Screen Time out option from the manual, just add it to the next update for the Charge 3.

JojoNL
Jogger

Please make the time before the screen gets black again adjustable. 2-3 seconds is way too short to read the messages, temperature etcetera on the screen!!

Hhmmmm
First Steps

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this an option! Maybe even give people the option for the shorter time (3-4 sec) or a longer time (10 or 30 sec) would be so nice. That would give people the option to save battery life or use it for better clock use.

rnrnrn
Stepping Up

In most cases I don't need this dramatically but it would come in handy from time to time. Best would be not to change this to a longer time for all but to code it within options (on the app only as well, if possible within the Charge 3 settings) of how long the display should stay on. I also agree that I can live with shorter battery life and this setting available.

vemerce
Base Runner

The ability to customize the timeout period would be ideal, but if Fitbit isn't going to give us that, the timeout period should be extended. Right now it appears that tapping the screen or pressing the button makes it come on for 4 seconds and turning your wrist to look at the time makes it come on for 2 seconds. I would say that tapping the screen or pressing the button should make it stay on for 6-8 seconds (because it was a deliberate interaction) and turning your wrist should make it come on for 3-4 seconds. Sometimes 2 seconds isn't enough to glance at the time if your arms are full (or if you're in the bed and it lights up and makes you want to look at it) then you end up turning your arm several times (looking like an idiot) to make it come back on. lol... So yeah, I would prefer the ability to set my timeout period, or at least have the defaults be a bit longer.

NoMoreFat
Recovery Runner

The short screen time is driving me nuts! My charge 2 lasted much longer. And the lettering is pretty faint too. I started with the Charge HR three years ago, then later got the Charge 2. Both were easier to read and had a longer screen time.

mahmoudokel
First Steps

I Support, It is so important and needed 

aula7208
First Steps

Even as a young person I can't always read the screen in time, especially not with messages/notifications.  I am very disappointed this feature doesn't exist, ESPECIALLY when it was promised.

RedBeardNP
First Steps

Totally agree with everyone else.

I am an NP and having second hand clocks seems pointless if I can't actually watch those seconds tick by. Would like to have it for patient assessments.

Should be an easy software fix!

NikolausZeta
Jogger

I have purchased charge 3 and I’m very satisfied with the exercise tracking functions. But with the screen beeing on only for e few seconds there is no sense to use it as a stop watch or as a watch during my work. I have for example to count the heart rate of my patients during examination, it’s impossible. There should be an option to prolong the screen time temporarily. Thanks.

JamieD333
Jogger

I agree - we need that option!  It is not long enough - especially considering the font is SO SMALL!

D_mentia
First Steps

I agree, nurses (and others) need an extended screen time feature. It would seem to be in Fitbits best interest to accommodate this simple request considering these particular users promote health and wellness throughout the general community. Further, to be all inclusive, 3-4 seconds is not a functional amount of time for many potential users. Battery life is not an issue if the feature was customizable and an accepted consequence acknowledged by the user. 

ldp
Stepping Up

Not only is it an impractically short time, but is an accessibility issue for persons with cognitive disabilities that require more time to comprehend information in a written format.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.