Longer Screen Time for Charge Trackers

I purchased my charge 3 after seeing it would have a Screen Time out Option.  It shipped without one.  Moderator Kate says it’s not available at this time.  The manual is now being changed to reflect that.

I really, really want/need that option.  It was the reason I chose the Charge.  That and my 50’s year old eyes.  The current screen only stays on for 3-4 seconds.  That is a very short amount of time.  I have to repeated tap the screen to read a text that comes in.  IF we are going to have the ability to get notifications, we need the ability to read them.

Please Fitbit, give us the option that was originally in the manual to change the screen time out.  The Versa has it, so I know it can be done.

Moderator edit: Title

1,090 Comments
mx490
Recovery Runner
Screen timeout is horrible. Apparently it doesn’t matter how many people complain. It was easier to delete it from manual than offer it in an update.

Sent from my iPhone
ndm20
First Steps

Need extended screen time please!

Honeyryder82
First Steps

I bought this thinking it had the option to keep the screen on. Disappointed now that I have opened it and used it 😞 Please, please provide the option! 

UpATree
First Steps

I cannot understand the rationale to force the timeout at all. It cannot be difficult to allow us to have always on, or to change the length of time the display will stay lit for. This feature shouldn't take your team more than a single day to find the variable in code, change it, and add the option to menus. I would take a 2 day battery life hit to have always on, it should be really nice with the OLED display. Easiest bang for your buck feature to add.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I totally agree.  The screen time out is much longer on the ionic. This is ridiculous and frustrating.   How are you even supposed to read the info in that short of time?!

kostax
Base Runner

A similar feature suggestion thread exists. Can moderators merge them and the upvotes? @LizFitbit

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Screen-Timeout-Option-for-Charge-3/idi-p/3000626

It seems like this feature was initially included in the design of the Charge 3 but they removed it Cat Sad

Capture2.PNG

kostax
Base Runner

Please bring this removed feature back to the Charge 3 (there's a screenshot in these forums that clearly shows it was initially included). Would love to have it back and under consideration @KateFitbit @MarreFitbit 

Capture2.PNG

Bob_Goiaba
First Steps

I just bought the Charge 3 today and after setup my first thought was "wow, i really need to set the screen time longer." It didn't even cross my mind that it wouldn't be possible. Really disappointing. Please, do us a favor and implement it in an update ASAP.

dfar
First Steps

I'm a cyclist and purchased the Charge3 so that I can monitor my heart rate-esp. while climbing hills aggressively. Not only does the screen time-out too fast for me to be able to see it, the HR function is too small and in bicycle mode, it changes screens, so I cannot keep the HR function on. 

Please at least give us the option to keep the screen on longer.

Deanh69
Recovery Runner

100% users need the option to keep screen on at all times, the 3-4 seconds you get is insufficient time for anyone, in fact I can’t belive this product was even launched with such a short timescale and especially because the “twitch of the wrist” to get the brief snapshot rarely works

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I was looking for this setting since 10 minutes... it's a basic which has to be added !

RF68
Jogger

After reading all these posts and the robotic responses of the Fitbit "people", I've decided not to upgrade from my charge 2 to the Charge 3 and won't be purchasing any for my family for Xmas as planned. It's amazing that they think canned responses equal customer service. Just follow the threads about changing start end times on android dating back 4 years; it's almost comical

JvdMaarel
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit This is obviously a feature that is really wanted. Can't Fitbit shed some light on the reasons why this is implemented the way it is (screen being shown only 4 seconds and not configurable by user) and if there are any real plans to do anything about it.

Any response would be appreciated.

I do hope the extreme long battery life (which I really, really like) isn't the only reason why this issue isn't being dealt with. I assume most users would get setting a longer display time will decrease battery life. Warn them if you think it is necessary.

cescholl2s
First Steps

I have been using Fitbit products for 3 years now. As I have recently begun doing clinical rotations I find it tedious to continue to flick my wrist or try to tap it when taking a pulse or respiration rates. I currently have a charge 2, but would definitely upgrade to charge 3 if I could adjust the screen time to at least 60 seconds! 

Nitasha521
First Steps

Part of reason i wanted a charg3 was to help me time my Patient’s heart rate.  However the short screen time makes that impossible.  If this is not fixed, i may need to return my brand new charge3

Allons-y
Stepping Up

I voted for this a while ago, but upon further use, I support this more and more and decided to comment. By the time my eyes (which are going through a...change) focus, the screen times out. Guess what! As soon as the screen comes back on I have to refocus...and....wait for it...it times out again. Now I have to have my finger ready to stab at the screen to get it to stay on just to see the time. Seriously. I can only imagine how ridiculous I look jabbing and cursing at my glorified watch that can't even do it's basic job. Even 6 seconds would be nice (but 8 to 10 would be more desirable). I could focus, read the time, and maybe even my steps!  Say what!?!? That's just crazy talk. But I see above that someone has indicated that the screen time out was originally intended to be customizable. I cannot fathom why Fitbit opted to remove that feature. I couldn't possibly care less about "smart watch" features. I have most of that turned off (the last thing I want to do is extend the electronic leash to my wrist). But what stats and time I do have, I'd actually like to process after focusing--lol. Did Fitbit get antsy and release this before it was ready?

mx490
Recovery Runner

It’s amazing how many people have complained about screen timeout yet nothing was done about it. I talked to Fitbit directly right after getting the Charge 3 when it was released and was told to make my voice heard on this forum and if enough people complained it would be changed. Well I see that hasn’t happened and it can’t be that difficult that it takes a month to update. Should’ve just returned it like I wanted to do. Very disappointed. 

Lycissa
First Steps

Just received my Fitbit Charge 3, and setting it up. While playing around with it, I was annoyed with the short screen time. Played around with the settings and finally resorted to googling the issue and discovered that there was no option to adjust it. Very disappointed.

I have it setup to be able to get text messages notifications and seems like it would be severely annoying to have the screen turn off while reading a long message.

Am adding my thoughts here in the hope that this feature will be added in the future.

ddolan
First Steps

Even a 3 level [s/m/l] selection for how long msgs are on the screen would be helpful.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Hi,

Due to many missing essential feature like screen delay, power off, over tracking, and customization, I've returned the charge 3.

The app isn't GPDR-compliant: it only sync with location activated ans gather too much data .

If someone could create another post it would be nice: I will delete my accourt.
Twomasc
Base Runner

Reading the screen while running is hard - more time please..

peaceH2K
First Steps

Please, please make it longer. I may have to return without! I am a nursing student and I have to see the clock face for at least 30 seconds to take vitals. 60 seconds would be better. 

You would be opening up option to purchase for many medical students as long as it keeps the second hand on the analog clock face and the face stays on for longer. 

Thanks! 

macklee
Jogger

(Sorry) duplicate post - thought the post was deleted.

macklee
Jogger

(Duplicate post)

macklee
Jogger

(Duplicate post)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.