Longer Screen Time for Charge Trackers

I purchased my charge 3 after seeing it would have a Screen Time out Option.  It shipped without one.  Moderator Kate says it’s not available at this time.  The manual is now being changed to reflect that.

I really, really want/need that option.  It was the reason I chose the Charge.  That and my 50’s year old eyes.  The current screen only stays on for 3-4 seconds.  That is a very short amount of time.  I have to repeated tap the screen to read a text that comes in.  IF we are going to have the ability to get notifications, we need the ability to read them.

Please Fitbit, give us the option that was originally in the manual to change the screen time out.  The Versa has it, so I know it can be done.

Moderator edit: Title

1,090 Comments
dmhnp2015
Jogger

Dear Creators,

You know that many of the people who buy your Fitbits with a second hand are people in the medical field.  We use your Fitbits not only as motivators for our good health, due to the stress we deal with daily, but we use them as actual watches.  I bought my Fitbit Charge 3 because it offered a second hand.  I liked it sleek design verses the larger Blaze and Versa.  I timed the watch face and it only stays on for 4 seconds. Every other features stays on until I change it.  It's hardly enough time to see what time it is let alone attempting to use the second hand to count someone's pulse.  (No, creators we do not want to use the timer to count someone's pulse!)

Creators, nurses and nurse practitioners are over one million strong in the United States alone and many of them are going to Apple because they listen to us. I am new to Fitbit and I have read numberous, numberous blogs in your own Fitbit Community from nurses asking about what products have second hands and their frustration about the watch app.  LISTEN!!!!! (Remember nurses are one million strong, not to mention the MAs, PAs, and MDs that use your products.)  Every other feature on the Charge 3 stays open until I close it.....why not the watch?

Sincerely,

Dawne M. 

Moderator edit: Removed personal information - Updated subject for clarity.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @dmhnp2015! This is a very nice suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback too. Keen to hear what others think?

Craig-D_K
Jogger

I'd like to see the clock timeout user configurable number of seconds with a disclaimer that keeping it on for longer periods may reduce battery life.

Maybe even have 2 options:

Movement based timeout (User might want 5 to 10 seconds for just a little extra time to read)

"Double Tap" display timeout (User might want 60 seconds for pulse check, also an option for "Stay on until back pressed")

mx490
Recovery Runner

I agree. Please make that an option!!!

Atillman
First Steps

I need the screen to stay lit longer than 3-4 seconds to take my patients heart rate utilizing the second hand on the clock! Others are also wanting this option. Please extend time in an update.  

JvdMaarel
Recovery Runner

Same here. Display time is too short now. 

I understand it will effect battery life to some degree. 

TDinh
First Steps

This is must have setting. Removing it from the manual is not a solution. I'd rather have shorter battery life than the 3 second screen on time.

dgarrig
First Steps

I agree, removing it from the manual is not a solution when we were really asking for more time. A longer time is a must. It really wouldn’t effect battery life that much considering I have to tap and re tap the screen over and over to catch my time and heart rate already anyway. It might honestly use less battery if it would just stay lit in the amount needed instead of re-lighting over and over. I am very disappointed with this feature and I’m actively not recommending the product because of this.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner and commenters, thanks for your suggestion. It would really encourage users to use the this options. It might become in a very popular request, so watch this space for updates.

StatsProf
Recovery Runner

This feature request will help older people use the Charge 3 more easily.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

YES, I think there should be more options for this feature.  Just as I think there should be much better Clock face options.  

Fitbit, please use any of my ideas!!!

Charge-3--clock-ideas.jpgCharge 3 clock face 3.png

Robnj
First Steps

The screen time out setting is A MUST HAVE OPTION .The current default time is ridiculously short .

JoanneDes
Base Runner

Love, love LOVE your watch faces. 

natesnj
First Steps

I completely agree with this suggestion. I just bought the Charge 3 - it's my first fitbit. I'm a Registered Nurse in Canada and bought it with the hopes I could use it as a watch with a second counter for assessing heart rates, resp rates etc. 

Please add this feature in. It would significantly enhance the functionality of this device for the many health care professionals who own one. 

Nick

I want to have an option to keep the display on for for an entire workout. It is pretty much worthless if you are dying to use the stopwatch during your workout.

Not pleased with Fitbit’s face watches, display time options, and workout out features . 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Can't use the display during workout or at all even with only 2-3 secs display on. It is just not enough time when you are exercising or do other stuff...this needs to be an option to adjust yourself (2, 3, 6, 10, 30 seconds, always on etc.).

The other thing is the time: I am in Europe and need the so called "Military time" option!! Can't believe that 2018 this is not standard:-(

magnoliawhisky
Recovery Runner
No kidding. Who was the person that even made this decision?! Not meaning to be rude, but there are three items on my screen to observe, and I am unable to do that in three seconds. I have to keep twisting my wrist and a fellow gym member said it looked a bit ridiculous. Please change this soon, Fitbit or I will have to send back my Charge 3.
Canedje
Base Runner

I agree. The current time is to short for reading

Lol. It’s like someone who never worked out in their life made this decision. Anyone who ever worked out and used a timer would obviously know that flipping your wrist during certain exercises is not always possible. Please fix
Sent from my iPhone
sheilab3
Runner

Yes please either increase the time the screen displays for all  or make it a option to increase to various times of your choice.

You can’t really read the screen before it blacks out.

JennEmb
Jogger

I 100% agree this feature is a must have with an update. I need to look at my watch when with patients and I would prefer to use my Fitbit. This should be easy to do as a setting. Most other fitness devices offer it. 

This was the same issue with the charge 2. I don’t understand how hard it is to update this option. Maybe Fitbit needs to hire new programmers.

Sent from my iPhone
shwiftychunk
Jogger

This is a great request. Seeing messages on the charge 3 is pointless if you don't have enough time to read them. If I have to constantly tap my fitbit to read a message I will just get my phone out rather than bother ever looking at the fitbit (which makes the message functionality for the charge 3 completely useless).

mimichic
Recovery Runner

I can’t believe this passed testing. This short screen timeout makes the device unusable. If not fixed soon, mine is going back. The clocks are harder to read than the Charge 2 and with the screen timeout, it’s impossible. I don’t know why these ineffective changes were made. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.