Make FitBit Device Code Open Source!

There are so many feature requests, and a lot of them can't be added because of time or not enough people to help write it. So why not make the device code open source? It would make it so that so many developers could help add features, "apps", and many other cool things to all the prouducts. Just look at Google, most of their programs are open source and look how much they have done! So why not make the device code open source? What harm could it do? How hard would it be? People could make the devices more secure, better, and more awesome. I'm guessing the code is C, Assembly, or some other very basic language, and im guessing multiple FitBit owners that are programmers could help. If the code goes on GitHub it would be easier to help instead of putting the code somewhere else like apple (This isn't a big part of my feature request, but it would be helpful), so many people could just go write a feature for the prouduct they have and then FitBit could be even better! This is how i believe the Open Source system should work:

1. post each device as a seperate project on GitHub or some other git-related website
  2. have people submit features through Pull Requests
  3. if it is safe, let users test their own code, or just test it like you do before normal updates
  4. send the update out to everyone! (you may also want to have a Developer update channel so people can help test features)

and by doing something like this, people could help and take some work off of the developers.

So lets make FitBit open source! It would be amazing!

4 Comments
Slyborg
Keeping Pace

So I can program the features I want and make them available for everyone to use.

It's the future.

Nuff said.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Slyborg wrote:

So I can program the features I want and make them available for everyone to use.

It's the future.

Nuff said.

really ?

are you able to code in C language for :

Silicon Labs EFM32 Giant Gecko (ARM Cortex-M3) EFM32GG395F1024 ?

Slyborg
Keeping Pace

Sure, from home or you fly me there ? 😛

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.