Microphone integration & Voice Commands (Alexa, Siri etc)

Use case scenarios. Microphone will enable voice activation of commands for notifying user of sensor information via speech response. Microphone will enable voice recording for later upload to Fitbit app and this your Fitbit account for recording things like additions to food and or water consumption. Weight recording as well for those who don't have the aria scale.  This may require Siri like AI do know what the user is actually trying to indicate.  Thank you. Other use case scenarios welcomed. Please vote for suggestion. 

Moderator edit: label & title

60 Comments
Truefreedom
Base Runner
Multiple microphones or single, not sure what would be required to discern the required person speaking .. Anyhow microphones these days, are very small and made for tiny spaces. Arrays of mica are used for determining among other parameters, where the voice is coming from as well as filtering out noise.

Ken
alpenglo
Recovery Runner

My current smartwatch, a Pebble 2, includes a microphone that I use regularly to reply to texts, emails, and to set reminders.  Surely this simple functionality can be implemented in a Fitbit...no AI required!

alpenglo
Recovery Runner

My Pebble 2 is a Kickstarter project for Pete's sake!  No AI but plenty of voice functionality.  Come on, Fitbit!

alpenglo
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue, I'm pretty sure there is room for a microphone in any smartwatch...my Pebble 2 includes a microphone and heart rate sensor (and accelerometers & magnetometer) and is smaller than any Fitbit smartwatch.  It sounds like you are not really a smartwatch user.  Response to notifications is a fairly critical function and, sadly, neither the Iconic or new Versa comes close to replacing the notification functionality of my Pebble 2.  Yes, I know the fitness functions are far better, but it's the smartwatch functionality that I use all day.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

But the current line of Fitbit activity tracker a are all ready released, a mic will not be added until the releases of the next model. At that point the Fitbit app will need to be midifyied .

Shlahbam
First Steps

I would like to see a future watch with voice response capabilities. I need to be able to respond to a text message with a voice reply right from my watch.  Also the option to turn off the touch screen and be able to use physical buttons would be greatly appreciated for those times when the watch is wet.  Touch screens and water don't always work. I am not even convinced that a touch screen is necessary on a watch.  Physical buttons with a working crown would be great. 

Shlahbam
First Steps

I would like to see a future watch with voice response capabilities. I need to be able to respond to a text message with a voice reply right from my watch.  Also the option to turn off the touch screen and be able to use physical buttons would be greatly appreciated for those times when the watch is wet.  Touch screens and water don't always work. I am not even convinced that a touch screen is necessary on a watch.  Physical buttons with a working crown would be great. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I was thrilled to hear when you announced what was basically a Pebble successor, I thought finally that your acquisition of Pebble was bearing fruit. But you left out the single most important feature of the Pebble Time, the ability to voice dictate text messages and e-mails. 

I would happily and eagerly get a Versa if this option was available. I don't even need a heart rate monitor, just step counting and voice recognition and the ability to archive/delete e-mails when I'm notified. 

It's not a big ask for such basic smartwatch functionality. At the moment the Versa is barely a smartwatch and more of an extended notification display for your phone. Please consider releasing another version with these features. 

lovemypebble
Jogger

I and my family make great steady use of the microphone to be able to reply to text/slack messages.   Many times a phone is not reachable or is too hard to use and seeing the message on the watch and replying is a game changer.  Canned messages nice but not sufficient.  The ability to talk to tasker on the phone to start navigation from the watch or place calls also great.    No speaker needed, just the microphone.  Please add the microphone!   Until then, holding out on pebble....

rogueslayerr
First Steps

I would love to see added to your smartwatches a built in Microphone. There are so many different senerios in life that 5 quick replys are ofter just not enough. Often when excersiing you get a text from someone that you need to reply to, its a pain to have to run down to your locker to get your phone just to answer them back because the 5 replys I have just do not answer them fully. Having the Mic, we can answer them properly.

Moderator edit: Label

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @rogueslayerr! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about adding a built in Microphone to Fitbit smartwatches. Maybe this feature suggestion is also interesting for you:

Ursulita42
First Steps

The Fitbit charge 3 currently allows one to answer calls and decline calls, however, one cannot talk from the tracker. It would be a great idea to develop a tracker that allows this function. I also feel we should be able to have more add on quick responses for texting. 

derekmski101
Base Runner

+1

If Fitbit wants the smartwatches to compete with the likes of Wear OS and Apple Watch, this is a must.

rogueslayerr
First Steps
I agree 100%
Writing 5 diff. suggestions do not cover answers we may need to give out.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Add a Mic and add smart home 

alpenglo
Recovery Runner

Yes, PLEASE add a microphone that can be used to respond to text messages!!!   No speaker is required for this as reading on the screen is fine.  

bob_
Recovery Runner

For the Versa 2.. I think it would be helpful, for the battery life to be longer, more social apps, a built in microphone and GPS, faster processor, and maybe even a camera, just some suggestions, keep up the good work Fitbit!❤️

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @bob_ ! We wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Dylanboy
First Steps

it would be nice to be able to answer and hear/talk on your watch

Gavin_Kerley
Recovery Runner

It would be great if you guys made the next Versa with a microphone to put a voice assistant on. It would be even greater if that assistant could be Alexa

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
GraceGFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea @Gavin_Kerley. Many thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Keen to hear what others think?

Jmonkey02
Base Runner

It would be so cool to have an app on the Versa that links to Amazon Alexa. I could see

myself all the time just talking to it. It doesn’t have to talk back. It could even just have the words, kind of like Siri, but not speaking.

Koof
Jogger

Oh yes. That is the best. I just am begging fitbit for a voice assistant even if it is only through headphones I would love it. 

Tegger2
Jogger

Please consider adding voice activation for charge 3, especially for timer and alarm

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tegger2, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists for feature products so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.