Mobile Track for Android

I have stated recently I have a new Galaxy S7 edge. I upgraded from the iPhone 6. On the iPhone app there was a mobile track feature. That feature was great to have considering I used it when my Charge HR was charging. That way I didn't get behind in challenges, burning calories, and keeping up with needed food intake. I was also able to still see my progress. Please consider and maybe implement this into the Android version. 😊

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels. 

47 Comments
btpier
First Steps

The LG / Google Nexus 5 has a hardware based step sensor like the iPhone 5S. It would be great if the Android app would make use of the step sensor like the iOS one does.

Moderator Edit: Title & Labels

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please! I already carry too much tech. Using the pedometer I'm already carrying means one less device to carry and one less battery to keep charged.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @btpier thanks for taking a break from stepping to share your idea with us. I think that it would be great to have Mobile Track which uses the sensors of Google Nexus 5 to track steps, distance and other data. 

If you have any other great idea like this, don't hesitate in contacting our Feature Request board again! Woman Wink

honglong1976
Sprinter

Great idea!

notamaiar
First Steps

There seems to be essentially no MobileTrack support for Android apps. I really, really don't need another device to carry, especially when my Nexus 5X already has the necessary hardware. And yet your help site suggests that new devices are added all the time, something that seems to be true only for Apple and Microsoft devices. Please add MobileTrack support for more Android phones - I want to be able to participate in challenges!

honglong1976
Sprinter

Seems to be just the one device that supports Mobile Track on Android

😞

https://www.fitbit.com/content/assets/onezip/images/devices/Fitbit_SupportedDevices_Android.pdf

hhiggins8
Stepping Up

Please add MobileTrack support for more Android phones!!  I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

SteveNetero
Recovery Runner

Please add MobileTrack support for the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime.  Thank you.

Moderator edit: labels

Yevad
First Steps

I recently have been using MobileTrack on my last 2 phones (HTC one M8 and Lumia 640) but now with my new phone that I just got, it does not appear to be supported.  The phone is fairly new so that may be why it's not supported yet, but I was wondering if this is a phone that is currently being worked on as far as compatibility or if I should just not expect it to happen?

Thanks

dpage3
First Steps

I'm writing to express my interest in development of the mobile track feature for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Android OS).  I previously used this feature with a much older Android phone, however, upgraded recently.  I'm aware that this feature is available for iOS devices.  It is very beneficial to have this feature available when the tracker is unavailable.  Your prompt attention to this matter would be much appreciated.

dpage3
First Steps

I submitted a similar request for the mobile track feature for an Android device.   

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Mobile-Track-for-Android/idc-p/1637886#M84188

derekmski101
Base Runner

I would like to see Mobile Track for Android devices.  Most of them have built in sensors to track steps.  Samsung phones including the Galaxy S7 have these sensors and are popuplated within SHealth, I would like Fitbit to be able to use pull this data for times when I either forget my Fitbit at home or it's charging.  This shouldn't be limited to just the iphone because most newer Android devices have this capability as well.

codek
First Steps

+1 I'd also like to see mobiletrack on the fitbit.

Or can't you just integrate to Google Fit in the same way that Fitness Pal does?

Then you don't have to implement it on every single device!

ajaygrover626
Stepping Up

+1 This is needed for sure. Galaxy S7 is a very popular phone and it does need MobileTrack. I understand that sometimes it's a business decision to support or not support as one might feel that why we need Fitbit device then but if someone doesnt plan to have any fitbit sevice and they like phone so much, they'll just switch to another fitness tracking app. There are tons in the market - Pacer and Runtastic Pedometer to name a couple.  So, please allow at least one of the following 2 things - 

1.) Allow Galaxy S7 steps to get recorded in Fitbit (Phone anywats, has a Step tracker)

2.) Or, atleast Allow S Health to Sync Steps to Fitbit

DuskWolf
Stepping Up

I would also love to see MobileTrack for the s7 / s7 edge, and I don't see why not. It is one of the top selling phones of 2016. I don't know the numbers but I am sure they are very close iphone. 

saundersokj
Jogger

Hello I have a Pixel XL, Fitbit Flex, and an Android Wear watch. I prefer to only wear my fitbit when working out, becaue it looks quite odd to wear two "watches".  

I noticed that Mobile Track is not compatiable on any of the several Android devices I looked into on the site (the Google Pixel isn't even list yet on the site), and I was wondering what the hold up is? Android has 3 times the Fitbit user base (based on iOS 80k and Android 233k reviews)  and getting senser data from the Google Fit API is relitively simple. Here is a link to sample code on how to access it (https://developers.google.com/fit/android/sensors).  Now for mobile track I beleive all it was gathering were steps taken. To get steps taken you can use this snippet from Google's Fit API (link: https://developers.google.com/fit/scenarios/record-steps)

Recording steps example:

public void subscribe() {
    // To create a subscription, invoke the Recording API. As soon as the subscription is
    // active, fitness data will start recording.
    Fitness.RecordingApi.subscribe(mClient, DataType.TYPE_STEP_COUNT_CUMULATIVE)
            .setResultCallback(new ResultCallback<Status>() {
                @Override
                public void onResult(Status status) {
                    if (status.isSuccess()) {
                        if (status.getStatusCode()
                                == FitnessStatusCodes.SUCCESS_ALREADY_SUBSCRIBED) {
                            Log.i(TAG, "Existing subscription for activity detected.");
                        } else {
                            Log.i(TAG, "Successfully subscribed!");
                        }
                    } else {
                        Log.w(TAG, "There was a problem subscribing.");
                    }
                }
            });
}
Juliewicz
Jogger

another vote for this. on the compatibility list for s7, mobile track IS listed, but it doesn't show up under "add a new device."

TC_is_here
Recovery Runner

Another vote for MobileTrack functionality to be added to the Samsung Galaxy S7/S8 models. The S7 has been available over a year now and users with those devices have not been able to seamlessly sync with the Fitbit app when our devices are charging or we forget them. 

stuartmbritt
First Steps

Another vote for Galaxy S7 MobileTrack compatibility.

I've just moved to an S7 from the Lumia 950 from the supposedly "dead" Windows Mobile platform.  MobileTrack was supported with the Lumia 950, a not very successful handset on a minor mobile platform, but isnt supported on the Galaxy S7 - one of the more popular handsets on the largest mobile OS????  REALLY?!

gfp
Base Runner

I would like to add another vote to make the MobileTrack feature compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S7, so I can still track on the Fitbit app at times when my Blaze is charging, or when I'm not wearing it for some other reason.  I know I can manually enter activity on the Fitbit app, but when I do that, the steps don't count towards any challenges. It would be so much better if I could just use my phone as a Fitbit tracker using MobileTrack.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarlenS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a great request, I'm an iOS user but my brother is using an Android and he also thinks that it would be great to have this awesome feature on his phone. Please spread the word so other users can vote and comment for this idea.

jonnymay
First Steps

I am between trackers - Charge (Version 1) just recently died. While I'm researching what my next tracker will be, it would be nice to tie into Mobile Track so that I can keep using Fitbit to log steps (for challenges and social leaderboards). However, it appears that Mobile Track is not supported on the Galaxy S7.

dorjeuklar
First Steps

Same here, converted from iphone to S7 edge and miss this feature big time! 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I must have the wrong android phones. 

My galaxy S3, S5,, S7  all have had the ability for mobile trac. 

At one point I did however test it and found that in 15 minutes it said that I walked 1500 miles

Aideenw
First Steps

My boyfriend wants to compete against me for steps but he doesn't have a fitbit. He wants to use his Sony Xperia or his smart watch with the fitbit app but neither are supported. Both have pedometer functions so no reason this shouldn't be compatible. Same for me if my ionic is charging, I also use Sony Xperia. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.