Mobile Track for Android

I have stated recently I have a new Galaxy S7 edge. I upgraded from the iPhone 6. On the iPhone app there was a mobile track feature. That feature was great to have considering I used it when my Charge HR was charging. That way I didn't get behind in challenges, burning calories, and keeping up with needed food intake. I was also able to still see my progress. Please consider and maybe implement this into the Android version. 😊

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels. 

47 Comments
TC_is_here
Recovery Runner

This request has been here for almost 2 years. It doesn't appear that Fitbit is all that interested in providing this functionality. I'm sure they feel it will cut into their hardware sales.

I'm done waiting for them.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@TC_is_here many phones have mobile track, to save the phones battery Fitbit moved part of this function on to the phones hardware. If your phone does have the right piece of hardware the mobile track will not be enabled. 

TC_is_here
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue

Thanks for the response. I just checked their compatibility list and many of the Samsung devices don't have MobileTrack listed as a feature. 

Angela2018
First Steps

I know you can add steps to your daily goal if you forget your Fitbit but it doesn't count on the challenges so it would be nice to have the mobile track on Android like you do with iPhone so we can track steps with our smartphones to have our steps counted on challenges when we busy people forget our Fitbit. 

Moderator edit: added label

CraigP61
First Steps

Please update Mobile Track to be compatible w/Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

Rentech
Recovery Runner

Please add mobile track option to Galaxy s7

Ray015
First Steps

S7 edge mobile track track OMG PLS

djsmomof3
Keeping Pace

YES PLEASE!!  I love my challenges! I remove my tracker while driving my bus due to high number of false steps but then loose out on the real ones also. Mobile track is the answer (I tried it on my sons iphone, but I have a android and it's not listed,  Ugh. Please, please, please fix this so we all can use this option.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@djsmomof3 the phone needs to have the required hardware for mobile track to work. 

CraigP61
First Steps

Rich-It is my understanding the Galaxy Note 5 has the required hardware.

Angela2018
First Steps
But it doesn't look like it syncs with the fitbit app. When I go to select a new device during set up in the fitbit app It doesn't have a selection for my phone.I have a Google pixel 2 so it's new enough. I guess I just need to remember my Fitbit....I often leave it on the charger. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
KimmimeCharmz
First Steps

I have a Samsung Note 8 and there is no mobile tracker support for my phone? Why is that and when will it be available for both the Samsung Note 8 and the S9? My husband and I both have fitbits, but it would be nice as I had it and then when I unpaired, it disappeared. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

My understanding is if the Fitbit app doesn't see the hardware needed on the phone to support mobile track then the option will not be presented. 

Now it might be that the phone does have a newer version of the required hardware but the app is unaware. in this case we will have to wait for Fitbit to finish testing the phones. 

In the mean time I'll check my neighbor who has an S9

TC_is_here
Recovery Runner

UPDATE: I upgraded my S7 Edge (no MobileTrack) to the S9+ and lookie lookie... I now have MobileTrack available. 

Rag89
First Steps

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I know for a fact that it has the hardware to be able to track steps because I have the Samsung Health app active and it tracks my steps. I am not sure on how many models before the Galaxy S6 are able to track steps with Samsung Health but for sure all models after should be able to so all those models need to have the Fitbit Mobile Track option added to them.

Xenius101
First Steps

Hey Fitbit.  

The new Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL flagships for google are out and are not currently supported.  I unfortunately found this out this morning when I left my Versa at home and went to use my phone in the meantime.

These are "flagship" phones such as the iPhone X and should have already been supported by now.  Please add them!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Does the pixel 3X have the required hardware?

Xenius101
First Steps

I'd assume so, however, your link doesn't say what the "required hardware" is.  The Pixel, and Pixel 2 are both supported.

athafoud
Recovery Runner

As text help articles say

CAN I USE MOBILETRACK IF I HAVE A FITBIT WATCH OR TRACKER?
In addition to a Fitbit watch or tracker, you can use MobileTrack to track your activity 
if you have an iPhone or Windows 10 phone.
If you use an Android phone, you can't use MobileTrack in addition to a Fitbit device

This clearly says that having MobileTrack in addition to a Fitbit device on iPhone or Windows 10 phone is possible. But it is not possible in android device.

Can you make feature available for Android devices?

Some more info:

I had the FitBit app installed before purchasing my Charge 3 and I had Mobile Track to track my step. After linking the  Charge 3 to my account, surprisingly I had both Charge 3 and Mobile Track. However after re-installing the FitBit app (due to issues with FitBit pay), I had only my Charge 3 in the devices section. I tried to re-setup mobile track but with no luck.

My device is Samsung A8 (2018), Android 8.0

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @athafoud,great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option for Android phones, I hope we receive updates soon.

athafoud
Recovery Runner

Based on device compatibility (https://www.fitbit.com/devices#galaxy_a8), my phone support the Mobile Track option, however it is not available through the app.

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the Fitbit app on Android devices. Now you can use MobileTrack to track your activity by using your phone's sensors. Just take in mind that you can't use MobileTrack in addition to a Fitbit device. You can find more details here.

@AlishaW, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.