More countries in the food database

If you don't have the resources for doing this yourselves, at least define the countries, and let the community add the products and pictures. The Bar code scanner adds a quite easy way to add products and labels. If you now add a separate tile for community added products, we could easily input the values ourselves from the pictures. Then allow a few people to review the numbers and the food database should populate quickly. (Merging and deleting dupliates will need to be administrated).
To make this interesting add some badges for this and perhaps some free months of premium after some number of product additions/image translations/reviews.

Moderator edit: Added labels 

88 Comments
Falkens
Jogger

Hello,

I know it may not be easy to understand Swedish but Google may be able to help. There is apparently an API to retrieve information in the Swedish food database. It is a database that Swedish food administration has and is under government control. I think it would be great if you could somehow get into it. Sweden may not be a large country but we are good at things;-)

Livsmedelsdatabasen

Site for the API: http://www.matapi.se

Br

Jonas Falk

karina
First Steps

Hi,

I think it would be great if you partnered up with ”Lifesum" by ShapeUp Club. Their app has swedish food database and when somethong  isn't in the database Lifesum's code scanner almost always recognizes swedish products. It would make it so much easier to track my diet. 

// Karina

Falkens
Jogger

Anyone who looked at this proposal? Something you thought about? I can tyckat at tthe is a great and welcomed thing to Fitbit and the product range.

Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this suggestion! We're always working to expand our food database. 

Hi, 

I have a Fitbit Flex and I love it. I just wonder if you are going to release it in Swedish and a Swedish food dataabase??

Best,

Daniel

solsang
Jogger

i was just thinking about a danish food database, maybe it would be possible to have a scandinavian food database, our foods are very often made by the same companies:)

the interface should be easy to translate, and the food already have all the information in danish, swedish, norwegian and finnish, so it would make sense to make it shared

of course all fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes etc have slightly different names, and i would be perfectly happy about using swedish for that as long as i can add my own;)

Maybe collaborate with Lifesum - I use their app to count calories and it is in Swedish and it is great!! So if they can Fitbit should also be able to do it!!

Housukoira
First Steps

There currently isn't any food database available for Finland and propably there will not be any for a while. Why not to create own community food database for each country where users could contribute by adding information from the products with barcodes. To get rid of trollers there would need to be way to give ratings for added items and users who added them.

Or.. maybe let only trusted users to add items in the database?

Either way.. it would help a lot to create country specific food databases.

LarryW-FFX
Recovery Runner

This would be nice to tie it into Weight Watchers, Fat Secret, (and/or) the app for android call "Pts Plus Diary", but these are marketing strategies.  

Douglas_Swe
First Steps
Hi there! That I missing is food database for Swedish users.. Look forward to seeing this feature.
TrueLove09
First Steps

Hello. I wished that's there were a Swedish fooddatabase. I do write in the food I'm eating now but it would be easier if there already were a Swedish

Jag är från Sverige så det går bra att svara på svenska också

Moderator Edit: Clear Title and Labels

Allinug
First Steps

Yes please that would be a good help, a swedish  food database. All this american food we don´t have in Sweden. 

Regards Allinug

VildaMilo
Stepping Up
Please make app in Swedish or at least a swedish foodbank!
celestae
First Steps
When anyone finds a barcode that it does not recognise, they could be given the option to input the detail manually and set up this barcode for all other Fitbit users to access
EvilVik
First Steps

A swedish/nordic/scandinavian food database is really needed!

There are a lot of them available already, so it should be quite easy to implement them or buy them. Or as the original poster suggested, use the official governmental one!

Beggert
First Steps
Totally aggreing about Swedish food database, it's really needed.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

My doughter wanted one for her birthay.She got it and we loved it.Så I took her flex and bought her a charge.

This was the best way for me to spend time with her and she being away from her laptop.

Now my son and my husband all grand parents and some of the friends have it too.

we challange eachother.

It is all about small changes and it has channged a lot in our family.

Necry
First Steps

This is very much needed had my Fitbit Flex for over 2 years and not being able to easily add food from a Swedish Database feels very strange and having a product in a country and no database just feels odd.

I have Fitbit connected with Myfitnesspal and they got a Swedish Database but i want one directly here on Fitbit aswell.

Ceolona
Recovery Runner

Just started with Fitbit a few days ago.  I am using the iOS app to record my Nutrisystem food.  Unfortunately, the bulk of the barcodes are not in the Fitbit database.  (The items do appear to be present, but without barcode data and with odd names. Not related to my request here, mind you)

My suggestion is that if someone scans a barcode, and it is not found on the server, that they can add a custom food WITH THE BARCODE locally.  It would be removed/deactivated should the same barcode become available on the server.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Battlegroup
Jogger
Agree!! This happens often. the ability to add a new food when the barcode isn't found in the database would be a great feature.
buskjan
Jogger

Hear, hear!

buskjan
Jogger

Agree 100%. I would love to se a Swedish food database. Is it possible to start adding food to a swedish database?

buskjan
Jogger

Hear! Hear!

liz6969
Runner
What barcode are u using? And how do I track my activity? Please help
trixsterjl
First Steps

The fine tune you would need on this is after the first person puts it in require x number of people to confirm and have it pop up a window asking to confirm stats on food, with a yes this is right, not this is wrong, ignore and add, ignore and dont add.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.