Music storage on Sense/Versa 3

Please allow Sense to storage Music (mp3) just like Ionic, Versa, Versa 2.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

653 Comments
sprite64
Jogger

I agree! I just received my Sense today. Had I known I could not download my playlists to it as I could on my Ionic (it bit the dust) I would not have ordered it. As is, I may still check into returning it even though I’ve opened it.  Ridiculous for a device such as this to step backwards and not allow music downloads of music I’ve purchased. 

Elaugermany
Stepping Up

Include Versa 3

RomanKadlec
Recovery Runner

Really sad about this decision. Please bring back Music app or bring support for Spotify offline.

I don't understand this. Garmin has mp3 files, Deezer offline and Spotify offline and Fitbit is stucked only with Deezer offline atm

MarcGerritsen
Recovery Runner

Just upgraded my Ionic to the sense and was very surprised to to find out that I could not listen to my mp3 files during my workouts.

I want to run without a phone so offline music is a must and I expected that to work just like the Ionic.

I can see no reason you would want to remove a working feature which does not cost you anything.

A alternative could be the Spotify app but that one does not support offline file storage.

This makes my watch a lot less practical and I'm thinking of returning it.

Pandora and Deezer are not an option. Nobody uses that here in Europe and I'm not paying for two music subscriptions!

Please bring back the mp3 support (preferred option) or add offline storage for spotify.

WillowJF
Recovery Runner

Hi guys, there's another feature request for this problem that was started a while ago and is gaining traction, pls chuck us a vote there as well 🙂

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Music-storage-on-Sense/idi-p/4452403

Thanks!

ZPak
Jogger

I already have a Spotify premium account, and have access to offline files BUT you need your phone around to access the music. Since the Versa 2 had the option to transfer MP3 files and play music without my phone, this is a huge downgrade. I intend to return this watch if this does not change

Please put back this function for the Sense, Versa 3, and Lite

falcoxxo
First Steps

If this feature of storing mp3 is not available, I'm not going buy Fitbit sense or Fitbit versa 3. I was waiting for fitbit sense but now i changed my mind as i need to do running and swimming which I can't do having phone with me all time. I don't like wasting money for spotify offline or pandora etc.. Fitbit team please have this feature available else people won't buy it.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @itvshdny12345b and @Rubygrace, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to storage music on Fitbit Sense/Versa 3. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Iksterog
Recovery Runner

I just picked up me Sense from Bestbuy. at 329$! but i really wanted the increased sleep and HR functions. But now reading the outside of the box i do not see anything about stored offline music. So i went online and found this thread. OMG.... I am not opening the box! I need the music for my biking. Why include GPS for use without your phone, but then require a phone for offline free music storage. I know you can do it with deezer and pandora paid subscription, but i am talking free. is money more important to fitbit, by making a deal with pandora and deezer? i guess the answer is yes.  I will not be opening my sense box. I am driving back to Bestbuy. the 2 things i gain, are not worth it for the music loss....not for 329! why carry the phone if you do not have to? i will stick with my Ionic.

TheNightSkyGuy
Base Runner

The more of us that ask for this feature the better the chance they will reinstate it. It’s just a FW update.

Andrew

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

blindrunner
First Steps

Just got my Sense and I was loving it until I found out that the Spotify "app" is only used to connect a phone to listen to, when I was under the impression that this Spotify "app" would be able to save some songs/playlists for offline use/when I want to go on a run but not bring my phone. Extremely disappointed that this is called a "smartwatch" when it can't do something so simple. Thinking of returning and making a (permanent) switch to Apple if this isn't addressed very soon.

sprite64
Jogger

I took my sense back to best buy and have now moved to an iwatch. Sorry Fitbit-you had your opportunity. I’ve been a loyal consumer having gone through three prior products myself as well as my wife’s three. Not sure who heads your product development team but they blew this one. Sense would have been an awesome device but your  product research missed how we use these things. 

GeoffWoo
Recovery Runner

I suspect one of two reasons for the exclusion.  1) the amount of data needing to be captured and stored for heart rate,  temp,  and blood ox levels ... and 2) Some business deal either with Pandora or Deezer ... or Spotify playing hardball and Fitbit balking. 

Either way,  I'm pissed.  

nh97103
Recovery Runner

I, too, will not be purchasing the Fitbit Sense until I am able to put my own music on it outside of a music service. Hopefully, Fitbit listens to us and realizes what a terrible decision this was.

Product development is actually very simple.  Find out what people want, deliver it, get paid for it.  When you don't find out what people want or you don't deliver it, you don't get paid. Very simple.  I won't be paying Fitbit until I see the update on this point (what I want), then I'll send them nearly $300 their way for a Versa 3 with accessories. 

I know slip ups can occur, but this appears to be an intentional disregard for what customers want. So I'll urge Fitbit management to make a management change that prevents products that ignore what people want. Otherwise, this is how companies fail; they stop delivering what people want. 

blindrunner
First Steps

I totally agree, StupidwatchMan. I’ve been waiting for Fitbit to allow Spotify use without needing to have your phone nearby since they came out with the Surge like 6 years ago, and have been holding out with Fitbit specifically in anticipation of this. Again, if they don’t add it soon (as it’s just a software update that would be needed), I will (and I think many other longterm Fitbit users) find a different watch and I’m highly unlikely to come back at that point

In all fairness, I think anyone who is upset should let the weekend fully pass and let Fitbit respond before making any decisions. Many people have communicated much, but they won't respond until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

Moderators. Please help make sure this thread lands on the desk of a decision maker on Monday. I am eager to buy the Versa 3 but I need the ability to play music and podcasts from the watch. 

gcoupe
Recovery Runner

Without the ability to store music on the Sense (or Versa 3), there's no way I will be replacing my Ionic with a new generation of Fitbit devices. I don't, and won't, subscribe to Spotify or Deezer, so not being able to store music locally on the Sense is a deal-breaker.

comb92
First Steps

It is ridiculous that this wasn't made more clear prior to launch. I hardly ever pre-order anything but I did in this case because my Fitbit Blaze had broken. Now I'm regretting it. The entire reason I waited for Versa 3 was so I could leave my phone at home; GPS and personal music file playback in one. But no, they remove the feature that was present in previous models and seemingly did nothing to imply this wouldn't be a feature. Super disappointed. If Fitbit doesn't guarantee this feature is going to be re-added, I'm returning and looking elsewhere. No reason both features shouldn't be included in this generation.

christam1
Jogger

Really gutted, as I had read so many good things about the Versa 2 and wanted the Versa 3 to be my first ever running watch since it had the onboard GPS as an addition.

It sounds like Fitbit need to commit to incorporating this feature back again into this model or will be facing ££££££'s of returns in the coming days and weeks!

djcontreras
First Steps

This is so disappointing to learn about.  While troubleshooting my Ionic because the screen stopped working after a software update, I was asked to perform a factory reset on it.  That bricked my Ionic and I was offered 35% off another purchase.  Absolutely frustrated because it wasn't my fault and then they offer me a discount on a Versa 2, Charge 4, and Inspire 2...all inferior devices.  So of course I am even more upset!  So then I decide to get a Sense because I assume that is has music storage (which I use often) and also gps.  I would not have to carry my phone.  I just found out that unless I get a music subscription for services that I do not use, I will not be able to use music on my Sense.  Please fix this.  I hate running with my phone.

LisaCanada
Recovery Runner

My Versa 3 was just delivered; I spent the afternoon setting it up, only to realize there's no onboard music option! What the heck? That's one of the main reasons I bought this watch! I don't want to lug my phone with me when I run. If this feature isn't added, I'll be returning the device.

UrbanMongrel
Stepping Up

I have to say that your cleverly worded advertising was very dubious.

"leave your phone at home" , "Download your music and control it from your watch"

Who would have thought anything other than a continuation of storing music on your watch directly.

Very annoyed to have pre-ordered my Versa 3 the day I got your promotional e-mail only to now find I cannot store music and need to carry my phone or run in silence which is completely the opposite to your promotional blurb speak.

Storing music on a device that has more than enough room on it is a basic feature surely - it's 2020!

blindrunner
First Steps

To be honest, I'm not getting my hopes up for Fitbit to change this in any update any time soon. We probably have a better chance of waiting for their next set of watches to be released. Quite unfortunate for Fitbit because I just sent back my Sense and ordered the Garmin vivoactive 4 (which has music storage!). Hopefully, Fitbit will learn from this...

christam1
Jogger

Still waiting for an update from FitBit.

My new Versa 3 has just arrived at its' pick-up location, so I am wondering whether to tell the courier to return it instead of me collecting it at all...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.