NET Carbs instead of Carbs

There is a difference! If you are following, Atkins, Keto, Paleo or any of the LCHF diets, you do not count standard carbs, you count net carbs (Carbs - Sugar alcohol - Fiber). There is currently no option on your site at all that allows the entry of net carbs or a field for sugar alcohol (Erythritol, Xlitol, etc) to be able to calculate this in your macros.

Diabetics use this, as well as dieters for weight loss or training. 

Moderator edit: Labels

108 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @lizzyroo81, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to count net carbs (Carbs - Sugar alcohol). This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

OLSON221
First Steps
I would love to have options for what I would like to track such as if I wanted to track carbs/net carbs instead of calories. There are so many different ways to manage our food (gluten free, keto, paleo, vegan, etc...) it would be nice to have choices.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @OLSON221, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use Net Carbs instead of Carbs on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes.

You can also vote for this other suggestion: Choose type of diet for Macros.

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

ImFineStopAskin
Recovery Runner
Display net carbohydrates (total carbohydrates - fiber - alcohol sugars) as both a gram count and as a % of total calories.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ImFineStopAskin. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you would like to be able to track and see your NET Carbohydrates with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Mmg84
Jogger
Show NET carbs on the food tracker.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mmg84, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to add NET Carbs to nutrition information on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

JoanneJoJo
First Steps

I am a Type 1 Diabetic , and when logging my food **It would be nice if I could get a total net carbs per meal So it would make my insulin /carb ratio easier to log ** it shows a daily total , Just not a per meal & snack time total ** I do understand if I open each food choice , it gives the nutritional facts and I would just need to add them up **

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JoanneJoJo, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about changing Net Carbs instead of Calories. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

JoanneJoJo
First Steps

More important to have net carbs per meal or snack Not just a daily total 

Regan9666
Jogger

Considering people have been making this recommendation since 2016, with a cumulative vote count of nearly 1000, sounds like it's way past time for FitBit to update the program.

We need an entry for sugar alcohols, and then the program subtracts fiber AND sugar alcohols to get a total Net Carb count.

This is critical for diabetics, and highly recommended for anyone who must count carbs.  Without it, we are forced to jury rig the program, and we're not certain the result is accurate.

Come on, FitBit.  It's been more than four years since the first recommendation.

Sidell
Jogger

I espescially would like the sugar alcohols included. And a glycemic index, here not all carbs are the same.

Klazar77
First Steps
We should be able to enter the sugar alcohol content of food items when logging our food nutrition details.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Klazar77, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to log your net carbs or sugar alcohol to calculate your macros with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Regan9666
Jogger

Sidell, I've been making adjustments to the nutritional data, by entering the sugar alcohols as fiber.  At least that does help make the carb count closer to net carbs.  I've also started a personal log with the nutritional data I actually need, and that helps even more.

I highly doubt FitBit will ever add the sugar alcohols, since they only respond to highly upvoted suggestions.  Apparently, only we diabetics understand the value of counting sugar alcohols...

And JoAnne, you can count carbs in the individual and meal lines by subtracting that food/meal's fiber from its total carbs.

Ericadee
First Steps

Please add a net carbs feature. Nearly every other food app has this and it is the main reason I use other apps to track my food. Wish I could use the fitbit app for this. 

ab08
Stepping Up
Have the ability to enter carbs from sugar alcohol when adding new foods AND display net carbs on daily totals.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ab08, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to enter sugar alcohol intake when adding food to see net carbs on daily totals. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

MiLady-H
Stepping Up

I track my macros and FitBit macro tracker is not accurate because it tracks total carbs and not net carbs.  Please add net carbs. It would also be nice to be able to adjust the macro tracker according to the type of diet you are doing.

her24gl
Jogger
This request was made in 2017 and is so important i'm requesting again now. I saw an old reddit post that said that although the app doesn't display net carbs, you can see them on your account on the website. I didn't see it under Log>Food> macro. Am i looking in the wrong place? Diabetics MUST know net carbs!! The need grows every year!
her24gl
Jogger

This is critically important because:

• More than 34 million Americans have diabetes, which is nearly 11% of the U.S. population. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC], 2020)
  • Every 17 seconds, an American is diagnosed with diabetes. (The American Journal of Managed Care, 2018)
  • There are 1.5 million new cases of diabetes in the United States each year. (American Diabetes Association [ADA], 2020)

Taken from, https://www.singlecare.com/blog/news/diabetes-statistics/

Fitbit, your customer base needing this feature is growing faster than any other, and will continue to do so!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @her24gl, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to track NET carbs instead of carbs with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We appreciate your feedback and we'll keep tracking this request over time, so please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JoanneJoJo, thanks for explaining why you'd like to track NET carbs instead of standard carbs with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We'll keep tracking this request over time, so please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

JohninFlorida
Jogger
Please add a net carb feature to your application. There are many of us out there doing keto and this would be extremely helpful.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JohninFlorida, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to track NET Carbs with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.