No Notifications in Sleep or Do Not Disturb Mode

It would be nice if you had the option that when your tracker recognizes you are asleep, that notifications are disabled. That way you are not awaken in the middle of the night by a text message that could have waited until morning.

216 Comments
ColinHTown
First Steps

Just use the do not disturb feature in iOS. Set your phone to not disturb you for whatever hourly window you want and this problem is solved.

kimmholle
Stepping Up

Last night, because I had to charge my surge I did not meet my goal for the day. In the middle of the night my surge vibrated and I got up at 11:30pm to get dressed for work thinking it was the alarm which was set for 4:30am. I got fully dresses and ready to walk out the door before I noticed it was not my alarm but only the goal notification and because of that I woke up 4 hours too early. I work an hour away from my home and had I not glanced at the wall clock on the way out the door, I would have ended up driving all the way to work. You would figure something that is able to tell when you are sleeping would not needlessly awake you from your sleep to tell you you hit a goal. I would like an option to disable goal notification vibration when in sleep status. This is a major inconvenience as well as potential safety hazard.

zachzpw
First Steps

I just wanted to give some feedback on the recent software update for the surge. I really liked the fact that the notification on the watch would buzz even when my phone was on "do not disturb" mode. I carry my phone with me to meetings and instead of having it on vibrate and making a noise whenever I got a text I could just leave it on do not disturb and read on my watch or at least get notified hat way so I could respond. I really liked and got a lot of use out of this feature which allowed me to disable the notifications from my phone while retaining a more subtle notification from the watch. Unfortunately now I need to go in and turn off notifications altogether on my phone during office hours so it isn't buzzing or beeping every couple minutes.

Anyway it would be great if you could add this functionality back to enable alerts even when switched to do not disturb mode in the next update. I think this is honestly an undersold feature that would drive people to use the text/incoming call alerting functionality of the surge more often....even if as just an alternative option.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree, this is very important for a good nights sleep.

esenterre
Recovery Runner

Also disable the Quick View with my Charge HR during sleep (either defined by my phone, or by the Fitbit App).

Almost every night, my Charge HR is showing me time because I just change my position. And then the whole room is illuminated! Smiley Wink

And sometimes, whem I reach my calories goal while I'm sleeping, it just wake me up. 

That would be awesome if you can "fix" that!

jorang
Hill Runner

... and this feature is also omplementet on Android

likethesky
First Steps

This is a dealbreaker for me. Sleep is IMPORTANT.

Just observing the DND features of iOS isn't enough for me. I need a feature where if the Surge observes that I'm asleep, it turns off ALL vibration AND all lighting of the face of the device.  Either of those might awaken me in a dark room or while power napping during the day. I can leave my phone buried in a backpack on vibrate or elsewhere, but I'd like to track my naps and not be awoken (unless I set an alarm, of course).

---

EDIT: I want to make clear why I say "Just observing the DND features of iOS isn't enough for me" ... the reason I say this is because my phone is not something I wear continously. I use the DND feature of iOS and it works great--for a(n) (i)phone--however for a wrist-worn device like FitBit, in particular a wrist-worn device that *knows* when you're asleep already(!!!), to not have it use that fact to not disturb one is very short-sighted and makes it not usable by me. Thanks again for listening. Happy to answer further Qs if you have them of me.

---

Please post back here when you've enabled a setting like: [ ] disable ALL lighting and vibration when Surge detects you are asleep (which users can set or not set, as they prefer).

Thanks for listening! Great product otherwise.

txtennisgal
First Steps

There should be an option to turn off the notification of goals achieved.  I always look at my FitBit at the end of the day so I know whether or not I've achieved any goals.  

Everjonez
First Steps
I'd love to see a feature that automatically silences all calls/notifications when the Fitbit senses that you're sleeping. In addition to that, it would be even better if it could allow priority calls to come through while you're sleeping, but nothing else (other than an alarm).
ratcityrain
Strider

I just got the new Blaze over the weekend and so far I like it.  One feature I would like is the ability to set quite hours for alerts.  

For example I do not want to have text, calendar or call notifications alerts on my Blaze in the middle of the night.  I would like quite hours similar to what you can do with the iPhone itself.

Moderator edit: Updated subject and added labels

Mariemouse
First Steps
I set do not disturb on my android every night. It mutes calls and messages except for if my mom or other priority caller rings my phone. However, with the notification running, my FitBit charge HR buzzes, lights up and wakes me up, even when spam calls come in at 2am from blocked numbers. Please fix this soon since there is already an IOS fix for this.
adammiarka
Tempo Runner

Both Polar and Garmin have a do not disturb timeframe where notifications will not be relayed to the tracker.   Also, Polar has it so that the tracker will not light up during this timeframe.  

This DND feature is something that FitBit needs to take seriously, especially now that they are pushing their trackers with notifications.   When I need to go calm our 1 year old down at night, my Blaze lights up the entire room in the dark.   I don't feel I should have to disable Quick View manually every night, and it should be apart of a do not disturb timeframe.  

Surely if you set your iphone to Do Not Disturb, you won't get any notifications on you fitbit??

Saramiller04
First Steps

This is relevant for the Alta as well. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Your Blaze should obey the Do Not Disturb settings on the iPhone. My Blaze does obey those settings, so you might want to check the setting on your iPhone to make sure that Do Not Disturb is active for the hours you want.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
FerdinandFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This sounds like a great idea. In the meantime, you can try what other users have suggested about setting your phone to "Do Not Disturb" and since your phone itself will not be getting notifications, this will too reflect to your Blaze.

cmreidy91
Jogger

I just started with Fitbit and I'm loving it so far. While there are some minor things that I would like to see changed with my Alta (all mentioned by other members) the one thing I cannot stand is the inability to set times where my Alta will not disturb me with notifications.

This feature is a MUST. We all have times (Work, School, Church, Sleep, Movie Theater, etc.) that we do not want our devices of any sort buzzing. To manually have to switch on and off notifications, especially for regularly events such as work, is super inconvenient. While it is true that you can work around this by turning off Bluetooth or turning off individual notifications, remembering to turn it on is an issue.

If I can schedule movement reminders to certain days/times, I should be able to do this with other notifications.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit will honor the DND settings on your phone, at least fot Texts and pgone calls.

Kimbernada
Base Runner
You can set up the reminder time-frame in the app. I have mine set to only notify me between 7 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday.

In the app, tap the menu and then choose Devices.

Tap Alta in the app.

Tap Reminders to Move.

Set up your schedule.
MakMak
10K Racer

This would also be great on the Blaze. It should also include turning off the quick view. It's a pain in the neck to turn off these features manually every night and then remember to turn them back on the morning. This post should be updated to include all trackers with notification capability.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a great idea! As mentioned in the original post, turning off your mobile device's Bluetooth will stop your Fitbit tracker from receiving notifications. 

I also think that it would be very useful to have the ability set "Do Not Disturb" periods on your Fitbit account settings where your tracker would not receive any kind of notification for the set duration of time.

Mousej5
First Steps
Definitely annoyed that the app doesn't recognize when your phone is on DND mode and sends notifications. Ability to customize notifications and whether the display lights up when sleeping is a must. Shouldn't have to switch between Alta during the day and the flex at night in order to sleep track. Every time I move the display on the Alta lights up the room. For sensitive sleepers that is a instant sleep killer.
ratcityrain
Strider

I think now that time has gone by the do not disturb built into iphone is working.  The only drawback now is that the bright light wakes me up when i toss and turn so that would be nice to include in a sleep time schedule, otherwise I would have to turn off quick view every night then turn it back on.  

Also for Android users who do not have the same do not disturb features could benefit from this too

chis54
Jogger
Do not disturb would be a great addition. Also, allowing a whitelist for calls would be great. You never know when an emergency call may come in, but a text message is usually not an emergency so it would be great to white list some callers, but not notify of text messages. Please add this.
Kimbernada
Base Runner

@chis54, you should write up a separate feature request for the whitelisting... I'm not sure if ALL phones have a "favorites" option for people in Contacts or if it is just Samsung, but it would be nice to be able to limit the notifications for those people. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.