No Notifications in Sleep or Do Not Disturb Mode

It would be nice if you had the option that when your tracker recognizes you are asleep, that notifications are disabled. That way you are not awaken in the middle of the night by a text message that could have waited until morning.

216 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

on Android devices this is already available, in fact the whole DND is already implemented, and in Android "N" will be able to be scheduled.

Screenshot_2016-04-16-13-57-48.png

Kimbernada
Base Runner

@Rich_Laue - I wasn't sure if that worked for notifications sent to the Fitbit. 🙂 Although I'd really like for only those notifications for the Priority folks going to the Fitbit 24/7, but all notifications to show on my phone during the day, and just my Priority during the night, which is how I currently have my Samsung S7 set up. I hope what I wrote makes sense, it does in MY mind... 😛

KassieC
Jogger
Yes. Needs to have DND!
Piero71
Jogger

Nice to have an option to enable do not disturb mode in resting time,  which disables display-on-by-movements feature and notifications. Rest time could be selectable by app

Moderator's edit: Added labels

Marekbox
Jogger

To me it would be enougth to be able to turn on/off DND mode on the Vivo itslef.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

On 6he Blaze from the clock screen swipe down, then turn notifavation off. 

Marekbox
Jogger

Exactly something like this for Alta would be just great 😉

Rich_Laue
Community Legend
I've tried Fitbit honors my Androids DND time.
DouglasDraeger
Recovery Runner

When the iPhone has Do Not Disturb turned on, silent alarms do not go off. When sleeping, it is common for people to turn this feature on so they are not woken up by texts, emails, calls, etc. However, the silent alarms should be able to be used as an alarm clock. Please change this or at least have a toggle in the fitbit settings to have silent alarms ignore the phone's Do Not Disturb policy.

EDIT: I believe I have found the issue. Silent alarms only go off ONCE unless you change the repeat schedule. So when you set a new silent alarm make sure you check each day you want it to go off. Even though the icon is green on the watch, and the iphone app has the alarm ticked on and says "tomorrow at 5:30," if the alarm went off today it WILL NOT go off again tomorrow. It's a bit misleading, but just make sure to set the repeat schedule if you're using it as a daily alarm clock.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I would tgink the silent alarm wpuld go off, this is part of the settings in the Blaze and is completely indepent of any setting on the phone. The Do not sisturb feature of the phone ahould stop notifacations. 

DouglasDraeger
Recovery Runner
Could you just turn your phone vibrations off? Set the switch to silent (no
sound) and just let your fitbit notify you?

I really think "Do Not Disturb" means: Do not do anything, I'm in a movie
theater, sleeping, or getting lucky. No lights, no vibrations, nada.

--
Thanks,
Douglas
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

There also is the ability to turn notifacations off through the Surge, this is done in the settings menu

valen410
First Steps

I always have to take my fitbit off or turn off the bluetooth, when I forget I regret it later with my hand buzzing in the middle of the night :S

Astrain
First Steps
The Alta should turn off text/call vibrations when you are in sleep mode without having to turn on Do Not Disturb. I do not like turning my phone on DND at night due to potentially receiving emergency calls. My phone text vibration under my pillow or next to my bed is not enough to wake me up but, the heavy vibration of a call is. My Alta vibration on my wrist for text notifications definitely wakes me up. The Alta knows when you are sleeping so, it should give you the options to toggle notifications on or off when in sleep mode. This should be chosen during the set up process.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend
The Alta does not have a so called sleep mode.. With the first sync, the server looks at the data and calculate the sleep time.
dedwards
First Steps

Because calories continue to be burned at night, and Fitbit continues to track progress towards your goal until midnight every night, sometimes I don't hit my calorie burned goal until I'm asleep. This means that when I've burned enough calories to acheive my goal, the vibration wakes me up. 

This is frustrating because getting the right amount of uninterruped sleep is one of the primary goals of wearing it at night.

I am going ot have to change the goal on my fitbit to something I will never attain (which defeats the purpose) because there is no way to stop it from vibrating at night.  Please create a "do not disturb" option like we have on our cell phones so that we can sleep soundly while we burn calories. 😉

Thanks!

Marianne80
Recovery Runner
I had a Polar Flow watch before and on that you could activate a dont disturbe mood. It basicly means that the watch wont show the display when you turn your wrist, something that is useful when you sleep or go to a movie or something. It stops the whole room from lighten up. I really miss this function in the fitbit.

Great idea--but don't forget to keep the alarm feature active 🙂

gojomo
Recovery Runner

The brightness of a inadvertently-activated display (via QuickView or a mistaken tap) can be distracting in bed, in a dark theater (esp if applauding), in a dark fitness session, etc. 

It's nice to be able to disable QuickView via app-and-sync, but using the app is still kind of bright and inconvenient in those situations. And, it still leaves the possibility of an inadvertent tapped-on display.

Best would be a quick option from the watch itself to toggle QuickView off – perhaps via a long-press of the main button.

Or perhaps, a  'snooze QuickView and display' mode. You'd reach this option by paging through the menu; then tap to select the duration, and long-press to activate. In this mode, only intentional presses on the main button would brighten the display. Available durations could be 1 hour (~ fitness class), 2 hours (~ movie), 4 hours (~ night-out), 8 hours (~ overnight), and til-alarm (~ planned sleep).

This may be an easier-to-implement and more user-intuitive option than setting a time-of-day schedule in the app, or linking the display behavior to fuzzy sleep-detection.

Snhhunter
First Steps
Would definitely like to see something to adjust the brightness or automatically disable Quick View when the user is sleeping.
Annickbosch
First Steps
A do not disurb would be great. No more buzzing while youre sleeping!!!
Tipean
First Steps
That would be one of the best features. I don't understand why it's not implemented yet.
Shahryar
First Steps

Adding on one more vote for this. 

TravisPflanz
Jogger

Consider this my vote for an option in the FitBit app that will automatically turn of notifications on the Surge, Blaze, etc. when it knows I am asleep.

wkrahn
Recovery Runner

I would love to have the Quick View settings accessible on my watch face instead of fumbling for my phone at night after the quick view comes on and wakes me up. I notice the new update added the Notifications settings to the watch menu and I rarely use that but the Quick view I have to use everyday at least twice and I never seem to remember when I fall into bed or roll out. Also not so great for my husband sleeping on the side I wear my watch...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.