Notifications on Sense 2/Versa 4 should wake screen

As of the latest firmware available (as of 14 October 2022) when notifications are received on the Versa 4 they do not wake the screen, which is contrary to how the Versa 2 works. Having an option for the user to decide how you want to see notifications, either by a wrist movement or automatically, would be user friendly.
32 Comments
etabeta1234
Recovery Runner

Yes, this option is very important.

Totally agree with you.

JohnTanner
Recovery Runner

This is extremely important. I will likely return my Versa 4 and go back to using my Versa 3 just because of this. If the notifications (wake screen) go back to the way they were on the Versa 3, I would happily repurchase the Versa 4.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding automatic screen wake for notifications on Versa 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

johnmudd
First Steps

Ditto on Sense 2.

johnmudd
First Steps

Same problem was reported for Charge 3 on Oct 2018 and fixed on May 2020. Only took 18 months!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Charge-3-Screen-should-turn-on-when-a-notificati...

Why do we have to repeat the voting process for the Versa 4 (AND Sense 2)? Can't Fitbit recognize this needs to be fixed in ALL models?

Maggit13
Jogger

Absolutely! I just upgraded from the original Versa to Versa 4 and it's the first thing I noticed. My original Versa would light up as soon as a notification came through but the 4 doesn't do that. Very important feature to have.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

this is fundamental. I've just got my Fitbit versa 4, so disappointed by how notifications are handled:

- the watch screen doesn't wake up automatically when a notification is received

- there's no option to receive notifications only when the phone display is off.

Regarding point n.2: what's the point of receiving notifications on the watch when I have the smartphone in hand with the display on?

I think I'll return it 

Kayla47
Jogger

It seems there are many feature requests so I will add mine to the mix.

Please, please, please will you provide an update so the steps taken in one hour can be displayed. In the past on my Versa 2, I could just swipe and the number of steps I had taken in the current hour would appear. As I indicated, this functionality was in my Versa 2 but not in my Versa 4. I feel I've taken a step backwards with my Versa 4.

Thank you.

jramsey487
First Steps

... did Fitbit/Google seriously not put this very basic and financial feature on the versa 4? I'm about to return my versa 4 for a versa 3 or something else entirely

tarahill83
First Steps
Can we have an option to have the screen wake when a notification is sent to the watch. Like how the Sense 1 did. As well as previous features that were on the Sense 1 that are not on the Sense 2
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @tarahill83, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about getting the screen of your Sense 2 to turn on when receiving a notification with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, I’ve moved your post herePlease support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

If you have more ideas that you wish to see on the Sense 2, please share them as individual Feature Suggestions by clicking ‘Add New Suggestion’. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Jessrocks81
First Steps
Make versa 4 have brief notification/screen wake like versa 3 when a notification comes in. PLEASE Thats one thing I don't like about the versa 4 is no screen wake/brief notification when you receive notifications. Please update this so the versa 4 has this
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Jessrocks81, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about turning on the Versa 4 screen when receiving notifications with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

MartijnvO
Jogger

Yes please! Also change the whatsapp notifications back to versa 3 style!

I dont want to see “message from ***” wait a bit and the see the message. 

Amelat
First Steps

Yes please! I love the versa 4 but I hate that the screen doesn't wake for incoming messages. It really takes away a lot of the functional convenience that I enjoyed with my versa 2.

Ace256
First Steps

This should be an option for ALL of the devices period.

chrishogg
Jogger

I do not like that the screen does not wake when I get a notification. I get a vibration but I’m unable to see what caused that vibration. On my Versa 2 the screen would light up when I got a notification. All I had to do was look at my watch to know what/who the notification was from. You guys need to get on the ball and make a patch for the Versa 4 to light up the screen when a notification is received. 

gusfink
First Steps

Extremely disappointed the Versa 4 will not auto-wake and display messages.  After counting movement ( more than just steps) the message notification is the main reason I have Fitbit. What is worse....this was a replacement upgrade because my Verrsa 2 continues to stop working in under a year. After 2 days and hours of tech support, I had to point out I believe this is no longer a feature and they changed it..... They finally agreed. Seriously Fitbit, how hard is it to add a setting under notifications to "Auto Display" or Button/Swipe? 

After having multiple Fitbits over the last 12 years I have come to the decision I need to walk away and find another company. I am working way too hard to stay a Fitbit customer. (PS, there was way more discussion on other options which I had to work hard to advocate for myself not to get short-changed).  They no longer provide more than any other company. 

KmForst
First Steps

Completely agree!  I miss this feature which makes the watch so much more functional when I'm busy!  I can see if I need to answer/respond now or later.  Now, I have to stop what I'm doing & wake my watch up.  Less convenient for sure.

jramsey487
First Steps

I morbidly maintain notifications on this thread to see how long Fitbit will fail to have a basic feature on a newer version watch. It's clear Google has hallowed out Fitbit for the Pixel watch, and I'd recommend folks head over to Garmin

NYRangers79
First Steps

How is a feature that worked for a decade of fitbits now a feature request?  This sounds to me like a bug that just isnt being fixed.  I bet this was removed to publish higher battery life specs. There is no other reason why this is removed.

GrimDanFango
First Steps

I just switched to a Versa 4 from a Versa 2 and after initially thinking my new watch was faulty I googled the issue and found this thread. I'm now returning the 4 and sticking with my 2. Removing this feature is absolutely **ahem**ic. One of the key benefits of a smart watch is to be able to see notifications at a glance. How have Fitbit not realised this?

abbybee
First Steps

Has this feature been introduced or not? I am surprised fitbit can't put a basic feature. Even my Noise smartwatch, an indian bran, which was just £20 has this feature. Very strange fitbit !!!

NYRangers79
First Steps
The fact this was changed is mind boggling
abbybee
First Steps

One year since the original post. Fitbit has done nothing !

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.