Option to automatically boot people from challenges for not syncing

If you've been active in challenges you've probably seen them.  Those folks who are so competitive that they'll put off syncing for days just to surprise everyone last minute and win the challenge.  For instance:

Bill is in a Workweek Hustle challenge with Heidi. It's Thursday morning and Bill is 3,000 steps behind Heidi. Bill disables syncing on his phone and computer and goes for a 3 mile run. Now he's ahead of Heidi; he continues to jot down his steps at the end of Thursday to know his real step count. Throughout Friday he continues to monitor Heidi's steps who is regularly syncing; he knows he's ahead but refuses to sync (so Heidi is not alerted that she's lost the lead and has an opportunity to respond). Then five minutes before midnight on Friday night, he finally syncs and finishes ahead of Heidi.

So the feature request is to automatically boot someone from the challenge if they haven't synced in a specified time (say 24 hours) with some caveats:

• They can still participate in the chat (much like folks who have been invited, but have not yet accepted).
  • They can be re-invited to the challenge after they sync.  I understand that things happen (like a camping trip) that prevent you from syncing, but it should be the option of folks in the challenge to allow you back in.  Smiley Wink

Hopefully, knowing that they can be booted will prevent (or minimize) this kind of behavior.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

35 Comments
c_o_r_i_n_e_
Recovery Runner
Agree 100% This make me upset. It's only fun if everyone syncs right? I think if they don't sync every 4 hours and if they are in sleep mode its ok 🙂 When it comes down to the wire its not fair if someone just shuts down.
c_o_r_i_n_e_
Recovery Runner
Poor Heidi 😞
PureEvil
10K Racer

@c_o_r_i_n_e_, well goodness if you agree with the feature request, then vote for it.  Smiley Wink

MargieSC
Base Runner

I AGREE 100%!!!! That is the most annoying thing seeing people not sync!! Or waiting til the next day until noon for it to 'time out' becuase people dont sync!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a really nice idea! Thank you very much for taking the time to share it with us 🙂 I think that this would allow us to have a fair challenge against our friends. Let's vote! 

zombiegod
Jogger

I agree and I really hope this will happen. I love the challenges, but hate when those that have 300 steps, then after 9hrs of no syncing, they are in the lead. *grrr* I think the one that starts the challenge should be able to boot who they want out. 

DyanCB
Recovery Runner

I just quit a challenge I was invited to once I saw a person who does not regularly sync had joined the challenge. I am tired of these folks who hide their steps. Isn't the point of being part of a community to inspire each other? I am so tired of these folks who hide until the last minute, it is simply deceptive. They monitor me but I can't monitor them. I would love to be able to boot those cheaters out of the challenge. 

zombiegod
Jogger

@DyanCB Yes! I've kind of just gotten burned out on doing the Challenges because of this. I know sometimes people have issues with Fitbit not syncing, but when I personally do, I sit there and keep trying to sync until it does and I comment that I'm having a hard time syncing so the group knows.  

vanessavybz
First Steps

I would like to suggest decreasing the post challenge sync time from 12 hours to much shorter. Anywhere between 2-6 hours seems fair. We should not have to wait half a day for someone to sync. They are probably trying to cheat or not intrested in winning. With only 10 challenges allowed it’s very frustrating to time everything!! I feel like I miss out on so many because I’m waiting so long for syncing. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @vanessavybz. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

ogclippersfan
First Steps

Please provide new Solo Adventures and Adventure Racesin the fitbit app

Lynnschockmel
Stepping Up

I understand that it might be frustrating to wait for others to sync, I also hate to wait for those who take sometimes a whole day to sync. They are probably not as obsessed than we are 😉

BUT, I guess the reason why they set the syncing time to 12h is that you can also compete with people from all over the world who have different time zones. Of course the day, so their challenge in the US is not over at the same time as in Europe and so on. 

Onlnbddy
First Steps

During fitbit challenges require a sync every 12 to 18 hours to show progress or disqualify, this does not let someone not sync as a winning strategy, this could be optional and configurable when setting up a challenge

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

WorkweekHustle1
First Steps

My friends and I do a workweek hustle challenge every week.  We have one friend that we consider to be cheating as she waits all week to sync her steps, but still monitors our steps daily.  We should have an option to kick out a member if they do not sync once daily at the end of the day.

WorkweekHustle1
First Steps

My friends and I do a workweek hustle challenge every week.  We have one friend that we consider to be cheating as she waits all week to sync her steps, but still monitors our steps daily.  We should have an option to kick out a member if they do not sync once daily at the end of the day.

J-flex
Distance Runner

If your friend is annoying you with cheating the simple fix is not to invite her any more challenges.

DeanoDeano1
Recovery Runner

Hi Fitbit, I do a lot of challenges work week hustle and weekend warrior. I noticed a few players like to hold back from syncing their device in order to “bank” steps which doesn’t give other players a fair play (nothing to work towards) I know it’s intended to be good healthy fun however it needs to be fair. I would like to suggest a challenge option that basically states the rules and one of the rules is to sync every few hours or the person is disqualified. But with like a 3 strike rule, in case the person is genuine. I think this needs addressing as when I meet up with my Fitbit friends there all talking  about how they refuse to sync etc leaving others thinking they are in front - I know it wouldn’t be possible to auto sync as people would just switch off their Bluetooth. Cheers 

DeanoDeano1
Recovery Runner

@J-flexthe issue is several members have decided to do it aswell.

I understand the rules behind the time differences, however this would be switched off during a challenge and only users in the same time zone can be invited.

@MarcelBKthe other option would be to maybe have a "hardcore" weekend warrior where nothing syncs and you cannot see progress! This would force people into guessing, which is what I do when people dont sync often doing 20k more than anyone else in the group. In the challenge you can post your current progress if you wish for good banter. I think this would be a great feature, what does everyone else think?

@LynnschockmelI agree I am a little obsessed but its good healthy fun 😄

J-flex
Distance Runner

Certainly wouldn’t want to participate in any challenges with the above comments/suggestions.  Anyone who wants that much control over what happens in a challenge is definitely not a challenge I would ever want to participate in.

DeanoDeano1
Recovery Runner

Fair enough, I was just hoping for a way to stop the non syncers without having to kick them out causing upsets amongst friends. Two in the group are currently refusing to sync and leaving us all guessing. Suppose I’ll just stop challenging which is pretty disappointing. Needs to be more configurable in my eyes, least it’s been mentioned before and not just me thinking it 👍

J-flex
Distance Runner

Many have tried to control others in challenges and it never works.  If you are that unhappy with people not behaving/participating in a manner that you find acceptable simply don’t invite them.  Eventually you’ll find some people that compete in challenges according to your standards.  Good luck.

DeanoDeano1
Recovery Runner

No you will never find people compete correctly. The sync is a issue as now people are pursposely turning Bluetooth off. The problem is sync , and if your in a challenge it should make your watch auto sync .... @J-flex i haven’t been using Fitbit for a month , I have been using it over 2 years ,with challenges without fail weekly and weekend. I feel your input is useless and ruining something that could be good. @MarcelBK  please can you look into the sync issue, I have dragged many people into Fitbit and starting think it’s time to change watch 👍 

J-flex
Distance Runner

Nothing is more useless then someone taking up endless time with trying to control challenges and people’s participation in those.  

DeanoDeano1
Recovery Runner

Nothing is more useless than someone wasting time trying to argue that everyone is wrong and Fitbit shouldn’t auto sync or require a sync periodically. Your wasting time even responding. You probably do not do any challenges judging by your comments, your just out to be negative. Anyways, hope

it can be addressed.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.