Option to automatically boot people from challenges for not syncing

If you've been active in challenges you've probably seen them.  Those folks who are so competitive that they'll put off syncing for days just to surprise everyone last minute and win the challenge.  For instance:

Bill is in a Workweek Hustle challenge with Heidi. It's Thursday morning and Bill is 3,000 steps behind Heidi. Bill disables syncing on his phone and computer and goes for a 3 mile run. Now he's ahead of Heidi; he continues to jot down his steps at the end of Thursday to know his real step count. Throughout Friday he continues to monitor Heidi's steps who is regularly syncing; he knows he's ahead but refuses to sync (so Heidi is not alerted that she's lost the lead and has an opportunity to respond). Then five minutes before midnight on Friday night, he finally syncs and finishes ahead of Heidi.

So the feature request is to automatically boot someone from the challenge if they haven't synced in a specified time (say 24 hours) with some caveats:

• They can still participate in the chat (much like folks who have been invited, but have not yet accepted).
  • They can be re-invited to the challenge after they sync.  I understand that things happen (like a camping trip) that prevent you from syncing, but it should be the option of folks in the challenge to allow you back in.  Smiley Wink

Hopefully, knowing that they can be booted will prevent (or minimize) this kind of behavior.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

35 Comments
Tiwary22
First Steps

Hi 

can you FORCE enable ALL DAY SYNC to all those who join FitBit Challenges?

it is same as like any other app Force enable Location sharing in order to use them.

people join the challnges WWH, WW and do not sync for days/hours and that makes game less interesting.

also it is in the interest of transparency. Many people use hacks to win and lack of all day sync works in their favor.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tiwary22, great suggestion. I think that having this feature for people that are currently using challenges can be very helpful. Let's see what others think. 

Tiwary22
First Steps

Thanks Yojana for supporting the suggestion. In my view also, it will bring greater transparency and make the challenges more interesting and therefore more participants.

PreetiJ
Jogger

Totally agree.

I think in any game - respect and transparency are two critical values.  By not syncing continuously, both the values are violated.

And a challenge creator should have an option to "state rules of this challenge" and then to drop people off if they do not follow the rules.

Tiwary22
First Steps

Thanks @PreetiJ Preeti for supporting. Any more addition or  feedback/suggestion you are most welcome to express here.

PreetiJ
Jogger

Actually, being a problem solver I thought about this a little more and I think the up-sync and down-sync should be done at the same time. To elaborate, the data visible to me on a fitbit app should be based of the last timestamp of my sync.  So, if I synced at 10 p.m. yesterday I should be able to see the data for everyone else on fitbit as of 10 p.m. yesterday.  This will also solve the problem when people just turn their blue tooth off but keep "all day sync" setting on.

MarioDings
Sprinter

How about this for a solution.

You can only see the result of others from before your own sync. (Excuse my English)

as long as I don’t sync I don’t know how the others are doing..

so I can’t anticipate on the results of others.

and let the finish be at 12 o clock GMT on Monday night. And then all can see the results.

no it is not nice if someone is cheating, but there are rules you should obey to..

DeanoDeano1
Recovery Runner
Yes I agree, this a really good solution!

Sent from my iPhone
WorkweekHustle1
First Steps
I like that too!! Great idea!

Melissa Mann
Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.