Option to disable a Firmware Update notification

I'm getting notifications that there is a new firmware for the Charge 3. I don't want it but the 'Upgrade' notification is constantly appearing in the app. Please make it so that this can be disabled. The firmware update seems to be causing problems for lots of users. The Fitbit is working and I don't want the hassle of it being bricked.
31 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @GolfBravo79. Thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about being able to disable the Feature Update notification in the Fitbit app. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't clogging up the home screen of the app.  By all means leave an 'upgrade available' button in the device settings itself but to have that popping up every time you navigate the app is very irritating - especially as it moves all the other content below around.

Bad UI design.

harleyim
Recovery Runner

Totally agree... take the notice of the new update off the home screen and leave it in the device settings... very irritating when you want to access the app. 😡

I would like to roll back this update

DeeME
Recovery Runner

I would also like this notice to be less conspicuous. I always read these forums to see what problems any upgrades may bring before I decide whether or not I decide to upgrade. There's no way I'm going to brick my watch.

Teetee3162
Jogger

I agree with this suggestion.  I have been bamboozeled One time too many with these updates.  The reminder is irritating.  Now I’m getting a notification to turn my gps on.  How many times do I have to say no until that stops popping up on my screen.  Why do you want my location so bad?  I just want to track my activity not help you develop more apps.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Come on Fitbit, this needs to be done. We should be able to decline the update and not be bothered by it again.

It's making the app really irritating to use, it's crap UI design. Sort it out....please!

Snug
Jogger

I’m now on my second Charge 3. I made the mistake of accepting an update on my first one and that started a 3 month cascade to owning an expensive brick. I purchased a second Charge 3 (with absolutely no help from Fitbit) because I like participating with my spouse and 3 daughters who all have Altas. I’ll need some assurance from Fitbit before attempting another destructive update. In the meantime, I’d love getting that obtrusive update reminder out of my face every time I open the program. My strong vote is to include a “do not show again” button. 

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

This is just going to be ignored isn't it @LizzyFitbit?  The incessant notification is incredibly irritating!

AmandaRN03
First Steps

I have updated twice and it still pops up almost every time I open the app, which is multiple times daily. Very annoying! It could at least go away after you do the update.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO DISABLE THE NOTIFICATION.

Honestly, this is app design 101. We don't want the update. We don't want the notification on every single refresh of the app.

MAKE IT GO AWAY.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Just in case my earlier posts had slipped under the radar or weren't clear enough. The notification is still annoying af.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Sorry, you might've missed this:

PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO DISABLE THE UPDATE NOTIFICATION.

And just in case:

Not sure why this is so difficult to get anyone at Fitbit to respond to.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

So genuine question; what's the likely outcome of this? Left to founder on the deserted rocks of Customer Feedback? For something that's such a daily irritation (and such an easy fix!) it's disappointing that it's being roundly ignored.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Asking for this to be fixed:

4yKj9sn

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Just checking in whether this has been acknowledged yet...

.....nope....

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Still nada....?

Sweet. Really making me glad I chose Fitbit. Won't make that mistake again...

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Just checking... Nope. Honestly don't know why I thought something might get done.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Y'know what... I've gotten so used to reflexively closing the farkin' update notification that I think it'd screw me up if they removed it now.

Actually this has reminded me; it is probably the perfect time to shop for a new device to replace my Fitbit!  Can probably pick up a decent bargain in the post-Christmas sales and based on a lot of the posts I've seen it's around a year or so in that Fitbits seem to cark it. Mine's a year old at the end of Jan so time to bail out I think...

Just checked and there's £102 off the Fenix 6 Pro on Amazon at the moment - very tempting!

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

ooOOooh... I see Google have bought Fitbit - maybe now this UI crap will get sorted out properly!

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

Well on the eve of the anniversary of the first lockdown it's great to see that Fitbit have taken on board my feedb......like fark have they - still the same sodding update notification that I stoically refuse to trigger.

How much longer 'til Google get full control and start making things work better?

Ronald111
First Steps

Just pitching in:

The UX Designer who thought this was a good idea might very well cost you customers, Fitbit...

HydeParkBooks
Base Runner
  • I agree showing me  a message about how I need to update my Fitbit every time I open the app is extremely annoying.  Just put it on the Fitbit itself 
GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

So my Sh*tbit display died after 18 months.  It's made the decision to jump to a Garmin Fenix 6x Pro even easier; I've had the replacement Charge 3 under warranty, I'm leaving it brand new sealed and selling it on.

Just trying to work out whether paying the extra for solar charging is worth it - also it's around now Garmin do their refresh so it's possible there's a Fenix 7 in the wings which would mean price drops on the 6 I would hope.

I'm sure Garmin will have its quirks but I almost can't put into words how infuriating my Fitbit ownership experience has been.  Perhaps once Google gut it and put it back together better the products might be worth considering in future.

For now though it's off to Garmin!  Woohoo!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.