Option to show Kilojoules in Dashboard and all apps

Many countries favour using Kilojoules instead of calouries for enrgy input and output. Please add the option to choose in all relevent dashboard areas.

Moderator edit: Labels

542 Comments
bobba84
Jogger
Agreed!
Bloater
First Steps

Australia uses Kilojoules only in food labelling. Most of Europe have both Kilojoules and Kilocalories on their labelling. US Kilocaries only. This shoudln't be too hard - if the unit of measure is configurable between metric and imperiable for length, weight and volume then why not for energy? It's a simple calculation (1 Kilocalorie = 4.184 Kiljoules), and it would be so much easier to enter food energy consumption right off the label whatever country you are in. Please vote for this. Also - if you want to comment, you'll need to scroll down and accept the terms and conditions at the bottom - this is initially invisible to you.

PeteCuthbert
Recovery Runner
Don't hold your breath.
This has been an issue through 3 generations of fitbit (Twitbit) products.
They are SO parochial that the rest of us just don't count.

Under Australian law this product is "not fit for purpose" and should either:
include the conversion or
remove it from the market.

Love and light
Pete
Phildy
First Steps
Bloater

You are partly incorrect in your statement on US food labelling. The odd thing is that although calories is shown as the overall energy per serving, they then go on to measure macro nutrients in grams! Talk about a mixed up, mumbled up world!

Sent from my iPhone
MTAU2019
Jogger

option for kilojules over calories is needed - Australia foods and many other parts of the world use the metric system - option should be highly considered

PeteCuthbert
Recovery Runner
3 generations of fitbit products and this has yet to be implemented.
Not fit for purpose in Australia as we all use Kilojoules.

Love and light

Pete
KathlynB
First Steps
It is tempting to return it. It isn't fit for purpose.

--
Katie Blake
Tel: +61 2 9519 3907
Mob: 0412 194 671
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's a pity this is still getting so many replies and requests. I think that Fitbit being such a large organisation and wanting people to purchase and enjoy their product I thank that after the number of years that we the members and participants ar still not able to record our food in take in kilojoules. We shouldn't have to get another app to record our kilojoules. we can see and receive all other aspects for our healthy life style except how much we eat in kilojoules. I don't want anther app and I don't have the time to change my kilojoules into calories.  Maybe my next 'pedometer' will be a Garmin to match my GPS or something else. Come on Fitbit Smarten up

Karelyn

bobba84
Jogger
They’re showing utter contempt. They are well aware of the issue but have dollar signs over their eyes.

Bobby
Phildy
First Steps
It’s not only the consumption of food in kilojoules, but also the energy burn in Kj.
I still find it fascinating that packaging in the USA carries mixed measurements, products are available in litres. Road signs show (in some places) both miles and kilometres. This is a mixed up country that feverishly clings to their colonial past by using measurements that aren’t even used in the motherland anymore.
The single biggest ‘lie’ about the move to metric was ‘it would cost too much’. In a country where spend is considered the most important cornerstone to capitalism, I’d have thought any project that provided work and money would be embraced. A nice little parallel is the resistance to convert the dollar from paper to coin. All advanced countries in the world have slowly replaced low value paper money with coins. The economies of such a move are clear, as well as the convenience. But the good old USA clings to the paper dollar! I’m very surprised I haven’t come across shop keepers still using abacus!

Sent from my iPhone
Phildy
First Steps
The dollar sign would go up if they added features rather than resist. They’d sell more units if they broadened their minds

Sent from my iPhone
dragonax2
First Steps

Wait... This hasn't been fixed yet after 6 years???

It's just not going to happen folks... No chance at all.

Fitbit's market share has dropped from 34.2% in 2015 all the way down to 10% last year. I expect they are panicking trying to come up with something new and exciting instead of just making a really good product that people are willing to pay good money for.

Choosing diversification at the expense of existing customers is a BIG rookie mistake for a company that is struggling to be competitive.

Feature for feature, their competition is outswinging them for both price and user experience!

Honestly, the only thing Fitbit has going for them is their distribution channels in Western countries. That and an undeservedly high level of brand recognition.

Next time I'm getting a Mi Band.

dragonax2
First Steps

Just for reference btw... It only took 58 votes for them to add a whole Australian food database!!!

Feature-Suggestions/Food-Database-for-Australia

But 941 votes isn't enough to add a measly unit conversion.... Wow!

Henry_Lin
Stepping Up

I support the option for kilojules over calories as we live in Australia!

PeteCuthbert
Recovery Runner
This has been an issue for over 5 years. Don't hold your breath for implementation.
These products contravene Australian law as "Not fit for Purpose" - we use Kj and metrication is TOO hard for the Yanks.

Love and light

Pete
Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re happy to let you know that this has been released currently on iOS and Android - note, that it is not available on devices yet. You can switch between calories and Kilojoules in your settings or see more info in How do I change the units of measurement on my Fitbit device?.

@dssims, as a thanks for your suggestion that was released, you will now receive a higher voting weight worth 5 votes. Thank you for sharing your ideas and enthusiasm with the community and thank you to everyone that kept voting on this suggestion! We hope you enjoy the new feature.

palbion
Recovery Runner

Thanks, that's great news. I've updated my app and it automatically flipped to kJ, probably because I was already set to metric for other units. I'm still surprised it has taken so long for something that does not appear to be a complex addition.

bobba84
Jogger
Great news! How long until the devices support the rest of the world too?????

Bobby
KathlynB
First Steps
That is fantastic news. We waited a long time for this. Now perhaps I will
use this feature. Thank you, Fitbit, for finally recognising and responding
to the need.
--
Katie Blake
Tel: +61 2 9519 3907
Mob: 0412 194 671
Sarebare6
First Steps
Great news! Thank you for listening!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Finally! Can't believe it took 6 years of begging and pleading to get this done. How ridiculous.

bobba84
Jogger
It’s not technically done until the actual device can do it. Maybe in another 6 years??? Lol!

Bobby
MUMMACampboli
Jogger

Thanks everyone for your constant support to help get the app up to date! 949 comments on my post! You're all champions!

Here's to tracking our food intake in a much more professional way!

MummaCampboli

MUMMACampboli
Jogger

ps Now to have it available on android and our wearable devices!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
A big thank you. As they patience is a virtue.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.