Option to track short naps to see analysis

I think there should be a power nap option so if i want to sleep for ten or twenty minutes or so, my Fitbit will detect when I fall asleep and set a silent alarm to go off automatically at the end of the nap

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

100 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love this feature!

mdazzlin
First Steps

Problem: I LOVE naps, but I never can really sleep for the amount of time that I want to. For example I want a 20-minute power nap, so I set my timer for about 27 minutes, hoping that I fall asleep within 7 minutes or else I will be eating into the 20 minutes I have reserved for my sleep.

Solution: For the FitBits that can detect heart rate, and ultimately when you have fallen asleep, they should be able to wake us up automatically after being asleep for a certain amount of time.

For example, if I want a "PowerNap" of 20 minutes, I should be able to select the option in my phone and then have my FitBit wake me up after logging that I have slept for 20 minutes. Since it detects my heartrate, it can monitor my movement + heartrate to log that I have fallen asleep and the timer of 20 minutes should start at that point.

This would make me SUCH a happy lady! Smiley Very Happy

Status changed to: New
SilviaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for contributing your idea to our Feature Request forum! This post has been archived due to inactivity, and can no longer receive votes or comments. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlejandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I think this is a good idea. It would be great if Fitbit trackers that have the auto sleep detections feature can wake you up at the moment you fall asleep. 

Thanks for the idea. Woman Happy

Status changed to: New
AlejandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for contributing your idea to our Feature Request forum! This post has been archived due to inactivity, and can no longer receive votes or comments. 

SimplyLiz
First Steps
I would like to see the possibility to take a nap and be able be waked up in your Light sleep with an alarm like jawbone has which also has a regular wake up alar but with the feature of the nap to be refreshed. Thank you
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That be splendiferousHeart

SimplyLiz
First Steps
I know it would allow us to recharge and don't feel like you actually got drugged waking up when you were in your heavy sleep and feel worse than before taking a short nap 🙂

Get Outlook for iOS
Gray1975
Jogger
I have had my Fitbit charge 2 for a couple of days and whilst I'm enjoying most features I was disappointed not to see my naps logged. I bought this as I take my wellbeing seriously and rest is important and I want to track that i am getting enough. I also hoped the alarm would be 'smart' and wake me up either side of my alarm set time but when I'm in a light sleep cycle.
rhjorth
First Steps

So, this splendid idea was posted 2 years ago.  As a R&D Manager myself I understand that this is fairly simple to make, but due to the overhead with releasing a new feature, i also understand that it can take weeks to release this.

But ... two years?  Come on!  Kind of makes me wounder if i should have chosen something else than Fitbit?

Shahryar
First Steps

Adding request for naps to be logged with our Fitbits. Although this thread has been around since 2014 so I'm worried we may never get this :(. 

(A little off topic but does anyone else find the Fitbit to be uncomfortable to sleep in? I had a jawbone up3 for a little but of time and found that more comfortable to sleep in. It mainly has to do with the band IMO. The Fitbit uses a bulkier and stickier material. 

msfolly
Jogger

I nap during the day.

I would like to be able to tap to log a nap, and tap when I wake up.

MikeCZ
Recovery Runner

On first generation Charge HR, it was quite easy to track power naps: just long-tap the main button at the start and then again at the end. It automatically registered as sleep.

This doesn't work anymore on Charge 2 (and I guess Surge too) 

(long-tap on main screen just toggles notifications, on Run screen it starts the tracking but that registers as Run and it's not possible to change it to sleep; I didn't try "Stopwatch" yet but I guess it won't work as well).

Will you fix this soon?
(I have just 14 days to return Fitbit back to the e-shop for refund.)

Possible fixes:

1. Add a new screen: Sleep

2. Or just add a new type "Sleep" into Exercise screen.

AyushModi
Recovery Runner

I use a blaze, but all those device with sleep detection should also detect a nap during any time of the day. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Totally agree, please FitBit do it. My old Jawbone was doing it and it was quite useful.

robertnegele
First Steps

Please implement a Nap timer. Just like the normal Timer and Countdown, adjustable to x minutes but starting countdown with automatic sleep detection. Because I never know when I fall asleep and napping too long is not healthy. Would be nice to have it incuded in the tracker.

Referring to: https://twitter.com/fitbit/status/832326945325064192

Shelbyydiana
First Steps

A nap timer would be great to help sleep for particular amounts of time. Since the app already detects the exact time someone falls asleep, it would be helpful to set a timer to vibrate after a certain number of minutes has gone off from the time you fell asleep. Thanks for the consideration!

DavidInNTexas
Recovery Runner

Add me to the list of people who would like this feature.

Commit2befit
Stepping Up

The auto sleep tracker on my Charge 2 only seems to function during the night. I take naps during the day, esp when I've had restless nights. I'd like it to still auto detect as soon as I've fallen asleep during the day and sync my day log with my night log. Then use my mobile app to show my doctor or just  view all the info it currently shows but for a 24hr period, which would more accurately reflect my sleep patterns.

SachaM
First Steps

I'd like this feature as well. If the sleep auto detect time could be set to something below one hour, that would be great. 

obrti01
Jogger

I would love this on my Blaze.

DavidInNTexas
Recovery Runner

If they add this feature AND WATERPROOFING on something like a Charge HR, then I will consider buying another Fitbit.  Until then, I love my Garmin VIVO HR+ (it's totally waterproof).  This statement is coming after two Fitbit Charge HR's succumbing to moisture in the past year, ugh.

Here's some feature that i think could improve the experience with the tracker, in particular with sleep tracking:

- Power Naps, that last enough to gain energy, based on the previous night sleep

- Smart Alarm, that wakes you up at the best time to not feel tired in the morning

I hope that these suggestions could be useful to someone and be implemented in the fitbit software.

Thank you

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. In terms of an update, there aren't currently any plans to release this feature. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

DavidInNTexas
Recovery Runner

The fact that you are not interested in solving this problem means nothing now.  My Garmin Vivo Smart HR is waterproof and does everything the Fitbit did, except it is more accurate with what I believe my sleep cycles are now.

Again...if your next Fitbit trackers are not water proof and offer a slim yet fully featured display with large characters, I won't even consider a Fitbit.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.