Option to track short naps to see analysis

I think there should be a power nap option so if i want to sleep for ten or twenty minutes or so, my Fitbit will detect when I fall asleep and set a silent alarm to go off automatically at the end of the nap

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

100 Comments
KevWip
Recovery Runner

@lyssfitz yes that's exactly the idea!
coconutjennyb
First Steps

I would also like to second this idea. I have a charge 3, love it by the way. According  to studies a nap where you wake up from deep sleep makes you groggy, no one wants that. You either want a short nap before deep sleep or one whole cycle where you wake up from light sleep. You already made the timer function for goals in exercises make one for taking a nap, the info is there for the sleep cycles. So you can get the best from a nap. 😊

amoney805
Jogger

I'm also wanting a nap feature. My preference would be to manually activate it, and apply an alarm in 5 minute increments. This would allow you to activate it, have your sleep monitored, then wake up in 5, 10, 15.....etc minutes later. Perfect for lunch break power naps.

Beandog
First Steps

If you want to take a nap for a specific amount of time, say 1hour, you tell Fitbit app. Since Fitbit knows when you fall asleep it would start the 1hour alarm automatically. 

Great for afternoon power naps! 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Beandog, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

Warrenjeezy1
First Steps

The sleep features on the Fitbit are surprisingly accurate and useful for calculating when you fall asleep and wake up. But what if the app could know once you’ve fallen asleep from a nap and wake you up exactly 10-20 minutes after that time? 

According to Huffington post, “between 10 and 20 minutes of sleep is best. Longer naps can cause sleep inertia, or a period of grogginess and reduced performance” 

Too much nap time is bad. Having this mode calculating a targeted nap time for you and waking you up when desired would be great. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Beandog, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on your Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

shiggins1324
First Steps

As a parent fitting in a well timed power nap can be crucial. Allowing me to have energy for other activities later on. As the FitBit is an effective sleep tracker, it would be useful to have a feature which would wake you after a 20min power nap. The app could wake you (via phone and/or watch) on completion of 20 actual minutes sleep (as tracked by FitBit) or on a overall time available timer (so that you don't spend too much time in bed trying to get to sleep).

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @shiggins1324, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having a power nap option with the possibility to set up an alarm, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. This helps maintain the Community and the Feature Suggestion board more organized.

Thank again for sharing your ideas with us. 

fitchge3pan
First Steps

Taking a short nap during the day has been recommended as providing with several health benefits.  Since Fitbit can track sleep patterns, it could be able to help people take a short nap during the day.

The user can specify at any time when he wants to take a nap and for how long, normally 15-30 minutes and start resting.  When Fitbit detects that the required sleep mode has been reached it starts counting the minutes and then wake up the person when the stated minutes of sleep have been achieved.

JohnnyRow
Cosmic Hurdler

How is this different from the timer?  Or do you have an earlier tracker without timer?

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @fitchge3pan. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you would like to add a nap feature to your Fitbit device. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request overtime. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Tomfro
First Steps

As the Fitbit can track tue different sleep stages and pretty accurately determine when you first fall asleep, a function to set alarms for power naps would be really useful.

Would love to, for example, be able to set an alarm of 30 minutes that starts from the minute I fall asleep 🙂 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tomfro, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Fitbit Versa. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Ashley8123
First Steps
I know I'm not the only adult that needs a nap from time to time. While it's great the Fitbit tracks it, I don't think it should be tacked on to my normal sleep score. A separate mode or tracking would be great.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ashley8123, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track naps with your Fitbit device. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Guy_
Space Racer
If possible, in the phone app add automatic sleep nap detection during the day, with quality of sleep, light, deep, rem, for periods of 15 minutes or more.

Also add daily sleep graph of periods of suspected sleep, like the heart rate graph, awake and not awake, with durations to detect dozing.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Guy_, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track short naps to see analysis. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Guy_
Space Racer
Add all day sleep graph showing periods of potential sleep. [Nokia Health Mate does it]

Clicking on any sleep period bring up details of sleep quality regardless of duration.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Guy_, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track short naps to see analysis. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

cougarblue
Jogger
The current tracking of only 3-hour sleep segments is useless to someone like me who has nights of shorter segments. The time from falling asleep at night to getting up long term in the morning was previously tracked. I now have totals of zero or an hour or so instead of the whole night. I would like to be able to track the night and any naps.
Status changed to: Needs More Info
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @cougarblueThank you for sharing your Feature Suggestion with the Fitbit Community. As you may know, your Fitbit device can record basic sleep data when your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour. Also, it can estimate your sleep stages if you've slept for more than 3 hours. However, you won't see sleep stages for shorter naps.

Annie18mar
First Steps

I also sleep in shot spurts.   I would also like some way to track this and naps.

bisq
First Steps

Need to be able to designate naps and shorter sleep periods for bi-phasic sleepers. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @cougarblue@Annie18mar and @bisq, thanks for explaining why you'd like your Fitbit device to track shorter sleep periods with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.