Option to turn off floor tracking

An on/ off feature (radio button) to turn floor counter off when entering conditions such as high winds, or any other conditions we know affect the floor count to be inaccurate.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

31 Comments
Khayman
Base Runner
I don't need the function to count the floors I'm climbing and it is only giving us problems.
So could we get a way to turn that function of totally to save battery and irritating badges.
JosephK
Recovery Runner

Turning off the floor counting would be nice, but I'm a bit absent minded and would probably forget to turn it back on when I'm actually going up stairs.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I appreciate your sharing this request. It would be nice to have this ability to completely turn off a feature, not just turning off the display setting. Hopefully this can be taken into ocnsideration in the future. Thanks!

Khayman
Base Runner

So what's happening with this feature? 

Lmrphy08
Base Runner

Turning on or off tracking features, specifically stair climbing on the Charge 2. Just a slide on/off feature would be good. I am sure programs can develop this and send an update out.

mleedawn
Jogger

I'm 100% behind this. I'd love to turn off the floor counting feature. Yesterday I went for a lengthy walk and somehow ended up with 30 floors counted. The hack solution fitbit provides to count the total activity as "driving" is not a viable solution. 

Baats
Premium User
Jogger

Great idea yesterday I climbed 93 floors without leaving the house

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Given that the floor-counting feature is extremely inaccurate under many circumstances (and probably unavoidably so), I want to be able to disable floor counting.

Options:

1. Ideally, I should be able to toggle floor counting on and off at will (in the app or on the tracker).

2. At minimum, I should be able to completely disable counting of floors.

As it is, the wildly erroneous floor count completely invalidates the calorie burning estimate. The "driving mode" which invalidates all activity is (a) not convenient and (b) does not accomplish what I want here. I would like to be able to remove floor counts from the equation without removing step counts.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

FloridaKevin
Stepping Up

Would enjoy the ability to turn off the tracking and displaying of floors climbed.  Thanks 

JerryHam
Base Runner

Feature:

In the Fitbit firmware disable the tracking of stair climbing (air pressure sensor) when the user has the Fitbit device in Treadmill exercise mode.

Description:

The user is not climbing stairs in this scenario however if there is an overhead ceiling fan or an open window next to the treadmill it often counts a crazy number of stairs. Today it counted 20, yesterday 60 for a 3 and 4 mile treadmill run (due to the ceiling fan - hey, we users get hot when running). If you disable the tracking of stairs during this type of exercise the overall tracking will be more accurate. A corollary feature that is already submitted is to allow manual entry in the app of the distance climbed from the treadmill. In today's example the Fitbit said I climbed 20 stairs during my run due to the fan. The treadmill says I climbed 846 fee (70 stairs) so I would just enter that into the app. Ship both features as dependencies of each other.

Acceptance Criteria:

Tracker has the stair function disabled during the time that the user has the tracker in treadmill exercise mode.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JerryHam, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option on your Ionic. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

jonathanjeter
Recovery Runner

Please add this feature! My floor count is messed up on my Ionic and I get floors while I'm sitting at my desk, walking around or doing anything. I have cleaned the device, upgraded firmware and followed every suggestion to fix it to no avail. I am told that the only option is to change the time to driving time.

Either way, the data is useless, because I'm either adding large amounts of calories used incorrectly or I'm removing everything. If I could just turn off the feature it would make the data usable again.

Chrisricks6
First Steps

There needs to be an option to turn off floors climbed, especially if the devices can't tell the difference between driving and climbing steps. It showed me at 50 floors yesterday, threw off my step and calorie count, and basically made the entire days worth of tracking useless. I understand that we can go back in and put in that we were driving, but I drive and make usually 30-50 stops per night for work, and I'm active during usually active during those stops, so manually entry isn't an option. Crazy when looking back at how long people have been posting about this issue that nothing at all has been done about it. It's caused me to return my fitbit items. 

JohnnyRow
Cosmic Hurdler

Floors climbed do not affect steps, calories, or anything else.  It is entirely a stand-alone stat.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Chrisricks6. Thanks for taking the time to share your idea about having a button to turn off floor tracking with us! This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Don’t forget to click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Rjlewan44
Jogger
Remove the functionality as it doesn't work. I've been up for 4 hours and states I've climbed 100 floors. I have done zero. This is a persistent problem with all your devices as I have owned several. This Charge 4 will probably be the last....
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Rjlewan44, thanks for explaining why you would like to remove the feature "Floors" from the Fitbit app. I've moved your suggestion to this request. Thanks for sharing your feedback.  I hope we receive updates soon. 

FocusedII
Recovery Runner
I live in a city where 90% of the houses are single story - no basements or attics. The 10% with more than one floor are in gated communities. To find stairs, I would have to trespass, so I never get "Floors" on my Fitbit Blaze. I have read that some Fitbits allow you to turn off features you don't/can't use.

Why not the Blaze or all Fitbits?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FocusedII, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to turn off floor tracking. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Hadden8176
Tempo Runner
Beable to delete stair or Start/stop stairs
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hadden8176, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to turn off floor tracking. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Hadden8176
Tempo Runner

@YojanaFitbit I hope the find a solution soon for the stairs problem. It really is a BIG  problem. Please tell them to add a turn on/off option.

RemyOriginal
Jogger
The floor count is not very effective since I almost life in elevators and is kinda distracting, can there be a setting to hide or disable the floor count on the watch so I can focus more on the things that do matter to me?
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RemyOriginal. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to disable the floor tracking from your Fitbit device with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. That way we can keep this board organized, in addition to clearly understanding which idea other members are voting for. Don’t forget to click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.