Able to change Fitbit app language based on user setting/preference

It would be really great if it were possible to have the app in a different language from the phone-- I'm generally very interested in languages, and as such, occasionally change the language of my iphone because it helps with learning. However, considering the nature of the FitBit app, the vocabularly is fitness focused and not something that I'm necessarily trying to deal with in a new language right  away. I would love the option to change the language within the app so that I can better understand my fitness goals and stats without having to also change my phone language back to English, and I've heard others voice similar concerns.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

54 Comments
Frank98
Jogger

Hi,

Any chance to get a french canadian Fitbit website ?  In the dashboard, the only thing you can set at the botton right is the country, so I selected "United States and Canada".  However, everything is in english... except for this forum which has a language option at the bottom right.  I can even click on "Tableau de bord" at the top of the page and it shows me my dashboard in english.

I read every post on the subject and the only workaround is to set the country as "France"... only then everything switch to french, including the dashboard.

So basically, it would be nice to be able to select a prefered language in our account settings or at least be able to select "Canada - Francais" in the country list at the bottom right... it shouldn't be so hard since everything has already been translated for France.

Thanks !

lindabpt
First Steps

I have the same problem Smiley Sad

camtosh
Recovery Runner

I live in a non-English speaking country (Japan) but need to use the website in English. Why can't I and others like me do that?? When I switch to Canada the defaul time set changes. Australia works, but I don't live there.... 

Kroko
Jogger
Language selection should be an user preference. I'm from Canada but I speak french. I only have Canada in the country selection, maybe you can add «Canada (français)» but I think it should be a user preference.
Diseguin
First Steps

I don't know if Kroko has received a comment but I would like the same feature...

There is 8 millions French Canadians on 30 millions population. Both language are official and should be offered for Canadian users. I think that it could be programed easily : Country Canada and language French since we cand have French "language" selected in the help panel...

Diane

deepali
First Steps

I would like to agree with this too! It's annoying that we can't choose the country we are located in, and the language separately. For me, Switzerland is where I am located, but not all Swiss people speak Swiss German as a first language (French and Italian and Romanisch are also national languages!), plus also all the foreigners. 

So not only is the default language per country not an actual reflection of the official languages of a country, but then other people in that country (immigrants, travelers, etc) might prefer a different language too. 

Thanks!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fervently agree with this request. I live in Germany so I want to be given the German food selection lists, but I'm a native English speaker and would prefer to interact with everything in English. Please separate the two.

Tom-Rice
First Steps

I am an American living and working in Germany. My FitBit apps are displaying in German (fortunately Google Chrome is translating to English for me) but you are sending me email notifications in German!  Why can't we select a language preference!  I even list location in my profile as being in the United States but it doesn't make any difference. Your system is probably reading my IP address as in Germany and making a language assumption!  Please fix this!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AndreaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

It's a great idea to be able to change your app language without changing your phone's language too :smileylol. 

Lumur33
First Steps

Like the others, I taught I could change the language for french this is bad news. I will have to sell my fitbit.

Sundaykid
Jogger

Hi, I think a feature that enables us to change the language is an excellent idea.  One reason for this that I have come across is the situation were the language in the app changes without me doing anything.  Today, if I want to correct this by changing back to the old setting I have nowhere to do this.

VeronikaRus
First Steps

PLEASE! Please add Russian language to the Fitbit App! There is a huge market for Fitbit that is not covered due to language difficulties. 

andrew_flower
First Steps

I live in Japan (expat) but English is my primary language.  Every time I log in to the Fitbit website, it displays in Japanese and I have to then manually choose the locale at the bottom of the page to as if I'm living in United Kingdom to get English (I'm actually South African though).

It would be great if language was not assumed from location.

Additionally, although the iOS App is displaying in English, most of the notifications I receive in the app are in Japanese, which I can only partially understand.  Notifications should be in English.

Please fix both of these issues (I assume they're related).

barm
First Steps

While I think it’s great that localization settings are available, and that Fitbit automatically sets the official language of the user’s location, I think it would be best to allow setting a language in addition to the location.

The reason why this is important to me is because while I am an expat in the country of residence (Japan), I would so much rather see my Fitbit in English than in Japanese. While this isn’t such a huge deal since I can just set my locale to United States, it would make the localization and user customization a lot more intuitive. In the current iteration, it has potential to be inaccurate and leave for a bad user experience.

thanks!

noora111
Jogger

I got my fitbit versa couple days ago, and downloaded the fitbit app as the watch suggested. However, the app was in Chinese. I managed to make an account with google translator, still thinking that I must be able to choose the language myself in settings. It had all the correct location settings and so forth. But there is no way to change the language. Eventually I figured out that the problem was that I had Chinese keyboard downloaded, however not activated. After I deleted the keyboard, the app changed itself to English. This is a serious problem because I will spend the next 5 months in Taiwan, and now if I want to keep my app in English, I can’t download the Chinese keyboard for example to write addresses in maps, or use my phone to learn Chinese, which will make my life really hard. I really hope this will be fixed, user should be able to choose the language by themselves.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

Scarlet76
First Steps

Please do this, my phone’s language is in french to help me learn the language better, but some of the paragraphs in the app are too advanced for me to understand in french. This means I can’t set up certain features or really properly use the app. I also can’t just flip my phone between french and English just so I can use the app. How hard can it be to add a setting to change the app’s language? 

Vexleigh
First Steps

Good grief, do it, add this. I don't see myself personally having trouble with this, but language selection should be a standard feature in any app. Why is it not a thing already?

tclinden
First Steps

Yes, please! My app is suddenly in Dutch and it just doesn’t work. Whether its bad translations or a layout that’s incompatible with long words; the result is ugly.

Zoeyyy
Jogger

Pleaaaaase do this! My fitbit app switched to Dutch today so I was forced to change the language of my iPhone the English to get English back in the app. I don’t want Dutch as my main language in fitbit, but I do want it on the rest of my iPhone. 

This is very annoying, please make this feature happen!

furchtbar
First Steps

Dear Fitbit team, I originate from Germany and currently live mainly in Austria. Due to frequent travels however, I have set my whole phone to converse in English with me. This tends to also apply to apps.

The Fitbit app is its own entity though and I can only set “Language by region.” I.e.: if I tell my Fitbit I live in Germany, it speaks German with me; if I want it to speak English, i have to “cheat” on where I live.

being able to chose language separately shouldn’t be hard to implicate and would easily fix this issue.

Midorinoji
Runner

Is this request really still open? On iOS I can change my language independently of the phone settings but like andrew_flower mentioned, receive emails in a language based on my location regardless of my app and dashboard settings. I'm only posting here as that comment was made, the real problem appears to be the (lack of) management of language options in general. 

furchtbar
First Steps

Would any one of the developers mind replying to this? Seems there are more than a couple of people wishing for more in-depth settings regarding language. Some sort of "Never going to happen, go get a different brand's wristband" or "We're on it and a change is coming in the next software update" would be rather nice...

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is so ridiculous and annoying! I've seen in the forums this is a recurrent issue affecting many users and nobody has even a word for us!

Besides that, data can't be imported to Apple Health, even more ridiculous. 

I received my fitbit tracker yesterday and after seeing the passiveness of developers and support on this and other posts I've decided I'm going to send it back and buy a better device with proper support and more user friendliness.

Liuba
Jogger

The Fitbit App does not have an option of manually changing the language. Recently it started randomly changing language from English to Russian either completely or partially (Russian is one of my keyboards language). I really want to have my App in one specific language. It is annoying when I cannot control my App. I bet many users are using multiple languages on their phones, but it would be much better to have an option to actually choose the language I want for specific App.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.