Able to change Fitbit app language based on user setting/preference

It would be really great if it were possible to have the app in a different language from the phone-- I'm generally very interested in languages, and as such, occasionally change the language of my iphone because it helps with learning. However, considering the nature of the FitBit app, the vocabularly is fitness focused and not something that I'm necessarily trying to deal with in a new language right  away. I would love the option to change the language within the app so that I can better understand my fitness goals and stats without having to also change my phone language back to English, and I've heard others voice similar concerns.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

54 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Liuba, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to manually change language in the Fitbit App. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Midorinoji
Runner

@YojanaFitbit Are the language options for the iPhone app and Android app different? On iPhone it is already possible to set the app language independently of the language used for the phone OS. That's why I questioned whether this request had not already been completed a couple of months ago. The OP (from 4 years ago) is using an iPhone. Nobody has mentioned Android in this thread but out of curiosity I checked  @Liuba 's original post and it was for Android.

Liuba
Jogger

@YojanaFitbit, thanks, I really hope so! That make the App way better - and predictable!

Elkin77
Jogger

Dutch translation in Android app is awful! Comments during work week hustle are both hilarious and annoying. I cannot change the language in my app version 3.30. Please make this available I want it set to English. 

As Dutch translations are frequently not available for apps or are very poor.  Most apps that I use are either set to original language or English.  

Mujin
Jogger
I would like to be able to switch the langages directly in the application without having to change my Iphone settings.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mujin, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to choose Fitbit app language vs phone language. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Midorinoji
Runner

@YojanaFitbit 

It's not clear if Mujin said more in another thread but there is no comment in the post before yours about phone language, only the location of the language settings.

@Mujin 

If you only meant that you want to change the language settings of the app independently of other apps and phone settings then this is already possible. 

Go to iOS Settings and scroll down to the list of apps and choose Fitbit.

Scroll down the Fitbit settings page which opens and at the bottom you'll find the language setting. Open that and a list of languages will be displayed. Choose the one you want for the Fitbit app and the language in the app will change without changing any other phone settings.

This method (and the location of the language setting) is common. In fact all the iOS apps which I use which support changing language to something different from the system language have this setting in the same place.

Zoeyyy
Jogger

@Midorinoji I don’t know what kind of iPhone you have, but in mine it is not possible to change the Fitbit app language through your suggested method. Only changing the entire language of your phone works, just like before. 

Midorinoji
Runner

@Zoeyyy 

This is functionality which has been part of iOS since version 13 I think. Of course to use it you have to have alternative languages set up. I'd assumed that anyone who knows how to change the system language would also know how to add a language but obviously I was wrong. You have to select all the languages you want to use in the system settings first.

First go to Settings - General - Language & Region

Language&Region.png

 If you've not done this before, the Preferred Language Order section may not be there (I can't remember) but the Add Language... link will be.

Click on it and a full list of languages will be displayed. Choose the one you want to add and then the "Change to" ... button. Your system language will be changed so it will be a few seconds before the screen comes back. You now have two languages in your "Preferred Language Order" list.

Next touch the handle (the 3 lines to the right) of the language you want to use for your phone and drag it to the top of the list. Touch "continue" and your system language will be changed back but you'll be left with 2 languages in the list.

Now go back to your Fitbit app settings and you should find the setting there with your system language set (I've set mine back to Japanese)

FitbitSettings.png

Touch the language displayed to change the setting and you'll go to a screen with a list of your preferred languages (minus any which Fitbit doesn't support).

FitbitLanguage.png

 Select the language you want to use for Fitbit and the app language will be changed without affecting your system language.

You'll probably find the same option in the settings for other apps on your iPhone.

I'm surprised Fitbit have not published this information as there are a lot of people who ask about it and I'm sure the developers should know about it.

Mujin
Jogger
Hello,

Thank you all for your precious help.

I already know about how to change the langage in the Iphone settings.

I would like to be able to change the setting WITHIN the application like I
do for the Headspace app for example.

Sometimes I quickly meditate in french in the Fitbit app and then I need to
switch to english in order to have the english workouts (the french version
is not as complete with only a few workouts in there.)

It’s just a small change in order to improve the User Experience,
especially for people that struggle with deep motivation issues (ADHD).

I don’t want my app to be permanently in english I just want to be able to
change the settings quickly within the app depending of what I need to do
at the moment.

Have a beautiful day
Hedge4
Recovery Runner
Right now, the only way to change the Fitbit app's language is through changing your device's default language. Since this means these different languages are already available anyway, users should be able to override this setting with a preference of their own.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hedge4, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to change Fitbit app language based on user setting/preference. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

BlueWind95
First Steps
The language for the website and the fitbit tracker is set by the location. It should be two separate settings. I should be able to access any local site in my preferred language.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @BlueWind95, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see set language and location based on setting preference. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

evie8144
First Steps
Add English as optional language for Japan even if the setting is Japan
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @evie8144, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding English as optional language for Japan even if the setting is Japan. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

cyril-hazotte
Stepping Up

I vote for a fully working localization change in the Android Fitbit app. On one of my Android devices I ended up with a mix of English and French labels and text strings and was not able to find a workaround for this. Here is proof of the encountered issue:

screen 1 screen 2 screen 3

How could the app be so poorly designed that no improvement is possible?

It should use by default the Android system language and provide a way to override this setting, then spread this change for all text strings in the app.

Thank you in advance.

jerrylinhome
Base Runner
Please let users directly be able to select language in fitbit APP. At least there are 2 languages, one is English , the others is their national language .
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jerrylinhome, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to change Fitbit app language based on user setting/preference. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support or add your comment.

amandarielle
First Steps
Dear UX and product team,

I am a Singaporean Product Designer living in Tokyo. My native language is English but I changed my phone language to Japanese so that I can familiarise with the Japanese language more. However, to my dismay, the Fitbit app language automatically followed suit. This is not what I would expect nor want as a user.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @amandarielle, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to customize the Fitbit app language based on your preference with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

FSimon
Jogger
Could you for the love of god please introduce a completely location-independent language setting already?...
Europe is full of minorities.. people move to other countries where they don't yet speak the language.. etc... It's just not okay in todays world to try to force display language of devices to the language of the country...
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @FSimon, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about having a language setting independent from your location on your Fitbit account with us. This product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

mtaylor72
First Steps
The language choice, constantly resets to German (my location) not my choice in my Fitbit settings or in the iPhone app.

I don't speak German and that the software resets my preferences is mindbogglingly annoying.

Make it save my preferences and leave them at what I set them to be.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @mtaylor72, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to change the language of the Fitbit app based on your preference with us. Because this product feedback was already requested on this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.