Option to use all features on Fitbit Sense without Fitbit Premium

Fitbit Premium should be reserved for complementary products and services, not data access/analysis. Fitbit has chosen to put the data that differentiates the hardware behind a paywall, leaving the hardware undifferentiated. This is a doomed (and lazy) strategy.
59 Comments
Azrei
First Steps

I agree with the OP. The data should be made available to be seen without the subscription, considering how much the device costs. I'm waiting on my fitbit sense to come in, so hopefully at some point in the future there is an update that allows us to access our data without a subscription.

lewismarke
Jogger

I expected that the data that was advertised for the Sense would be available to me, not locked behind a paywall.  I am really disappointed in Fitbit that I am expected to pay for this data, the data is part of the reason that I purchased the Sense.  I also bought it early and paid more knowing that there would very soon be price decreases on the Sense (especially over the holidays) because I wanted to start seeing the data.  After having the device for a few weeks now I don't think that fitbit is keeping up with its competitors in this space as far as research and data goes, they are simply relying on the strength of the brand not the strength of the data in the product.

evilwombat
Jogger

Just wait for the Google acquisition. Once Google buys the company, they will hopefully throw out all the Premium garbage, along with everyone who was responsible for it.

Renjan.Bhasi
First Steps

I agree. I am currently owning fitbit versa and was thinking about upgrading to the sense. But after hearing that I should be paying another 10$ a month to have the important health features, I decided not to upgrade. I am hoping that Fitbit management will reconsider this payment plan sooner to keep the loyal customers.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Reading the posts here is making me having second thoughts on the Sense. Sure, when the watch was bought, it came with a 6-month trial for fitbit premium. For me, all the offerings and data are great and useful for my purposes. The big "BUT", which I hadn't considered, is having to pay for these data once the trial ends. The Sense is a great device in my opinion, yet, many of you are correct in mentioning we already paid for the hardware and the data collected should come with the Sense with no subscription. The deterrent for getting an apple watch is the battery life. If the battery lasts as long as the Sense, I'd go for the apple watch. Still, I have hopes for a big improvements on the before my eligibility to return the watch runs out. 

wadehez
Stepping Up

I have had a Fitbit for 4 years and my year old Ionic will be my last one.

I would get a Sense but I, like many other customers are not willing to pay extra to get the data from the expensive smartwatch I already paid for.

Google your losses will show in the end.

There are other options than Fitbit even though I like my Fitbit.

Wade Hez

Nantnell
First Steps

I too, will be reconsidering updating my Sense Fitbit if the premium fee isn't deleted or significantly reduced.  

alex-w
Base Runner

I totally agree.  It is ludicrous that customers of a very expensive watch are forced to pay a recurring subscription to access the data in generates.  It is comparable to car manufacturers charging a subscription to drivers if they wish to actually drive the car..  Greedy subscription models are failing and rejected by consumers.

wadehez
Stepping Up
Ilke I say.
If the policy does not change my current ionic will be the last Fitbit I own.
There are several functional and less expensive health watches on the market that allow full access to your health data.
Wade
NB37
Recovery Runner

This needs to happen, It's like buying a car that has all the hardware for air conditioning but doesn't actually activate unless you pay a monthly subscription to enable the feature.

This isn't netflix, guys, it's  a smart watch. I paid to acquire the smart watch so why do I need to pay an extra 100+ bucks a month to use the smart watch to its full potential? 

evilwombat
Jogger
Because they think people will pay for it.
Granted, some of the derived data is computed on their servers. But most of
the data is locally available, and they design their systems to send your
data to them, and back again, to get you to pay. It's mostly just greed.
tareq11
Jogger

I agree. it is really to much matter. Since we already pay for buy this, so why we again pay for use this service?

evilwombat
Jogger
Because RECURRING REVENUE STREAM! Monthly payments made them look more
profitable and more attractive to investors.
wadehez
Stepping Up

Both me and my wife have had Fitbit devices since 2017 and have been generally happy with them until recently.

However after the last update on my 2 year old Ionic most all my readings for heart rate, floors, sleep etc. have been clearly in error. In addition it often now takes several try's to get a successful sync and the screen is getting quite scratched up from the work I do I decided to update.

Because the Ionic style is no longer offered and they no longer offer a device that gives me the size I need, the features I want and will allow access to all data without additional monthly cost I replaced it with a competing fitness / health tracker that works well and cost less.

At this point I am very pleased with the performance of my new fitness / health tracker and will be moving my wife over the the same brand before long.

So in closing, good luck with the new Google / Fitbit and their greedy approach to their customers.

Regards

Wade

LadyKatYoung
Base Runner

Totally agree. Samsung gives you everything for free. I don't have to pay to see sleep scores etc. You're charging a lot for your latest watches So leave it at that. I'll be going back to Samsung and not paying anything extra. Premium should be for additions like workouts on fiit or strong or less Mills integrations etc. Not for challenges or sleep data. Poor show fitbit. List me as a customer again. And I only just came back. Sending the watch back within the 14 days period 

Windscreen
First Steps

I've been a Fitbit user, and enthusiast, for years, but this Versa 3 will probably be my last Fitbit.  I purchase, on average, one new Fitbit device per year.  I already would have gone with a Garmin or Samsung watch to get live, on demand SPO2 (that's a separate Fitbit debacle), but the strength of the Fitbit app kept me here.  Now that I see and experience the erosion of standard services in the app to the paid premium service, I'm going to have to get out.  Fitbit, your hardware may be good, but it's not good enough to justify hiding results inside paid subscriptions.  Hopefully Google will right your course, or you'll succumb to your competition.

jammyd23
First Steps

This is why I haven't yet purchased a sense... It's the only thing that everything makes me stop. Even if the free trial was significantly longer, several years? It would be better than 6 month's.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Just cancelled my subscription. Fed up with features not working. GPS and
track mindfulness often fail. I don’t use the premium work out stuff.
Health metrics are reasonable but should be at a lower cost or part of
purchase. Sleep might give you a good score but it doesn’t really give you
a true representation of quality. Often check and I know my sleep was not
good and it says good. Product is ok .My hope was paid $10 a month for a
year and expect more on information no real change. subscription = value.
Limited value = cancellation of subscription.
Reidser
Jogger

I just purchased a Fitbit Sense to find at the end of 6 months I shall have to cough up a subscription to continue using Fitbit Premium. I think this is disgraceful and am considering returning the Sense in exchange for a Versa 3 because I cannot afford the monthly subscription. I am very disappointed.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I was considering upgrading from my Versa 1 to a Fitbit Sense, but the requirement a monthly/yearly payment to access data made me decide against it.
I'll stick with the Versa for awhile longer, and if a subscription is still required to access data when I decide to upgrade, I'll be looking at the competition.

wadehez
Stepping Up
I already went to the companion and live it.
Lots of data available with no extra monthly money going to Google since Fitbit is now part of Google..
Wade
j3d
Jogger

I agree. I was all set to purchase the Sense to upgrade my current fitbit, but when I realized all those neat features might be only available with the premium subscription, I held off. Why advertise all those great features if they aren't actually included with the watch? I don't think it makes sense at all!

Arecad
Base Runner

No way I will be paying the subscription to get my own data analyzed. This is a horrible business practice and makes it very easy to not choose Fitbit going forward. All the competitors offer your own data back to you for free - ALL of it. 

Charging for videos, programs and coaches, that is complete acceptable but don't put my own data behind a paywall!

I was going to get another Fitbit for my partner but slammed the brakes once I saw what was locked.

KumarMSingh
First Steps

I totally agree.

Strongly wanted to purchase Fitbit sense today, but paying $10 per month to see my own data through so called premium service put me off and now deciding on other alternatives. Its completely ok, if they charge for coaching, videos etc.

If Google changes its policies to allow viewing user's own data for free through various analysis, it's really great.

Also, I see this issue everywhere and since long, but Google/Fitbit is really not listening. I believe Google is a customer centric company, so it should listen and act, as so many customers are complaining the same thing repeatedly.

Reidser
Jogger
I totally agree with you.--
Sent by Alexander Reid M.Sc.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.