Phone camera remote control for Smartwatches

This is one of the tools I am very fond of in the apple watch. I use this a lot in group pictures and traveling.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

72 Comments
SifuRick
Jogger
A remote function to take a picture would be awesome.
Barbuvlad91
First Steps

Yea, that would be really nice to have on Surge too

Mickie_MANG
First Steps

With the new Charge HR, it would be awesome if you guys could add this feature. It can't be that difficult since it connects to bluetooth already.

You guys are the leaders in wearbles so I'm sure everyone would benefit from this feature. *tap tap* takes a photo with a 3 sec delay.

BOOM!

j3rm
Recovery Runner

There are several $10-$50 bluetooth camera remotes for your iPhone/Droid out there that simply push the button for you. I belive the apple watch can do this.  But since the Blaze has buttons and bluetooth. It would be such an obvious feature to add to the Blaze. Its simple and Its probably a bluetooth standard already out there..

I would like to use my Blaze as a bluetooth camera remote for my iPhone. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This feature currently does exist, in all android, ios, and windows phones. 

Those Bluetooth remote shutter release simply send a volume up command to the camera app. 

Start the camera app now on the Blaze go to music control and press the top right buttun. 

Most people will find that when the camera app is openvthat pressing volume up on the Blaze will take a picture. 

If it doesn't see this page

j3rm
Recovery Runner

Have you tried this on iOS or are you just assuming it should work beause there is some standard out there that says it should work?

In a previous thread another user confirmed that it works for Android but I have tested it on iOS and it does not work.

When I use the volume button on my phone, it takes a picture, When I use the volume up button on my blaze, it turns the the volume up, as designed.

SifuRick
Jogger
Nope doesn't work. Have you tried it successfully?

Why just stand and watch?
LIVE LIFE!

Rick B.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

See this thread, in which yes the iOS camera can be controlled by the volume. This thread also has a link to the official apple workaround for a known problem. Hint: restart phone. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This actually is a currently possible,  as long as the user doesnt play music from the ionic.

Connect the Ionic Classic to the phones bluetooth. Startup the camera and use the volume control to take a picture. 

vitalyk
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue could you explain how you would change phone's volume on Fitbit Ionic? When I swipe up to see music controls, it only shows that I have no music to play.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@vitalyk lets look at the Ionic user manual.Screenshot_2017-10-14-07-11-40.png

To get to the manual click the word help below, click the pucture of the tracker, click user manual

Atrax
First Steps

Ability to take pictures/videos from the phone usin,  the fitbit watch as a remote control for both cameras and showing the pictures preview on the watch? Would be a great idea! 

LPKA
Recovery Runner

THANK YOU!. you are a life saver.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @soguilk! This is a very nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. Keen to hear what others think?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I have been using my Ionic and Blaze to control the camera. 

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @soguilk and commenters, thanks to @Rich_Laue for flagging that this is currently possible for Fitbit Ionic and Blaze (depending on your phone)! I'll leave this open in case you want an app specifically designed for this but the workaround is:

1. Go to settings on your smartwatch and open bluetooth
  2. Ensure your 'Bluetooth classic' is on and connected to your phone (you can try this out by opening a music app on your phone and pressing play on Ionic or Blaze) to see if they're paired
  3. Go to your camera settings on your phone and there will be a volume key settings or function where you can enable taking pictures with your volume button
  4. Position your camera for a picture and...
  5. Open music controls (swipe down from the home screen on Ionic) and press 'volume +' to take a picture!

Keen to hear what you all think!

Blackperl
Recovery Runner

APP: Ionic Application for camera remote control shutter

How: 

1. User enter this application in Ionic smartwatch

2. Use touchscreen or button on Ionic or shaking your hand in the same pattern for 2 times

3. Fitbit Ionic send packet through Bluetooth to trigger your phone camera shutter. 

I propose shaking your hand to trigger shutter because when you're selfie with your friends your hands will not available. 

Benefits:

- selfie with your friend

- selfie with tripod (back camera).

- general use with tripod

NOTE: I think fitbit or third party developer can do this easily becausd my cheap Bluetooth headphone can do this function. 

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Blackperl I moved your suggestion here as there's a workaround in place for this similar to what you've suggested. Thanks for sharing! 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Blackperl I'm not sure how shaking my head with headphones on will trigger the camera. Your headphone, or selfie stick uses the volume control to trigger the camera. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi @soguilk and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re excited to let you know that this Feature Suggestion has been developed by a third party developer, and can be downloaded from the Fitbit App Gallery available on Fitbit Smartwatches. You’ll find it by selecting your connected Smartwatch (such as Fitbit Ionic) in the Fitbit app, then choosing the ‘Apps’ tile and toggling to ‘All Apps’ at the top of the screen. You can then explore third party apps by category and choose your favorite of the relevant options available. Happy exploring!

Please note that if you have feedback or a suggestion for the third party app, you can contact the developer directly (if they have shared their contact details publicly). Open their app in the Fitbit App Gallery and you’ll find their contact details under ‘app details’ or ‘clock face details’. Thanks.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

As a side note I wanted to let you know that in order to use this application to it's fullest you will also need to download the "Camera Remote Watch" app to the Smartphone as well. Look for it in your Smartphone's App Store ! 

Let us know  what you think !

JanarthananS
First Steps

Taking a picture with a Versa via Bluetooth connected to my Android device it would be great if you add a app for that in store.

Moderator Edition: Format

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @JanarthananS. We look forward to hearing what other community members think. Woman Happy

DuStorm
First Steps

This app hasn't been updated since early last year and simply doesn't work for most users (Playstore 1.5 rating very low).

The camera app was still the first thing we looked for when we bought the versa.  Make this a fitbit app! Forget the third party they aren't maintaining this.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I don't bother to use the camera app, I take advantage of the camera setting that allows the volume control to take a picture.

Now I set the Versa to control music on the phone.

Pressing volume up on the wrist will then trigger the camera to take a photo.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.