Provide Sleep Analysis and Fitbit Wellness Report for free

I've just activated premium for 3 months (thanks for that). But I noticed alot of features that I would expect them as basic from a company like Fitbit (unlike Amazfit or others).

Wellness report (thats the heart of Fitbit data). You're shooting yourself in the foot by not providing this for free.

- Sleep analysis. (See details below)
27 Comments
LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

I understand that some features should be behind a paywall.  If Fitbit is claiming to be about wellness, then the sleep analysis and Wellness Reports should be free to all users.

adinasavescu
Base Runner

Just want to add the original post that made me open this feature request and I could not write all of it into the feature request details:

Hello all,

I've just activated premium for 3 months (trial). I've noticed there are some interesting features that I would take them for granted like how the sleep score is calculated and the wellness report.

I agree 100% by requiring Premium for personalized workouts (although Fitbit might provide some basic trainings here also) and mindfulness sessions, but the fact that they charge money for analytics of my sleep seems very very wrong.

I've bought this fitbit and planned to use it instead of my old amazfit pace (which doesn't provide the best sleep tracking), but i find myself in the situation where I have to wear both of them: fitbit for one-night sleep analysis (REM, Deep sleep, Light sleep and Awake percents), but for the overall analysis I still use Amazfit app (average time slept, average go-to-sleep and wake-up hours and others).

I've generated a wellness report and that seems to be the core report of a fitness tracker. That's basically the thing for which I've paid money in the first place to buy the fitbit watch. You CAN'T make me pay to receive a report! At least not if you care about customers feelings about your company.

So as a conclusion, Premium subscription should be something that people WANT activate to go to the next level, not that you NEED to buy it to see your data.

I'm extremely disappointed on how fitbit implemented this premium subscription.

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Thanks!

Nash13
Recovery Runner

I totally agree ! Fitbit has access to our health data's (like HR, sleep, and on certain models the temperature, etc.) and I think it's a shame that we don't even have access for free to them, while we have bought a tracker (which is expensive compared to other trackers with those services for free) for that !

All health's features should be free, and I agree that personal coaching, sport sessions and meditation sessions could be chargeable via premium (although in fact meditation's sessions and sport sessions are free on other app or youtube).

----------------------------------

@adinasavescu : maybe your post (feature' suggestion) will have more success if you change the title in "sleep details from premium for free" or in "health details from premium for free" ?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree that the analytics should be provided to the user for free.  Since fitbit has collected the data, it doesn't cost them anything to show us the graph.  I'm thinking specifcally of sleeping heart rate and HRV.  You already provide the oxygen data as a nightly graph, it should not be hard to overlay heart rate and HRV on that plot, or stack plots.

Premium is a great idea and a gateway to personalized coaching, and is a value-added function.  But the analytics that are collected from the fitbit device, which are the property of the owner of the device, should be available for the owner to view in the software.  Otherwise, Fitbit is falling down the rabbit hole of corporate greed.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I paid $400. For the fitbit Sense in Canada so no way I will ever pay for the premium member as it should just be in a regular account as its a endless money pit. Sure I could get it free for six months but will not even sign up for it as its pointless.  I don't support any PC game if it has pay as you I go as its a endless money pit. I pay for something I expect full use of it not have to pay more each month to get full use out of it. Add in most of Premium I would never us exercise, diet blah blah. Shame on you for not allowing us to see full stats of our Fitbit sense very disappointing when you pay so much for a fitbit sense. 

adinasavescu
Base Runner

@Nash13 i've tried to rename it but it gets stuck. Asked a moderator to change it but he didn't answer 😞

Any moderator, can you change the title of this Feature Request to "Sleep details from premium offered for free"? 

Thanks!

Nash13
Recovery Runner

@adinasavescu Oh 😞 did you try with another browser ? I use Chrome on my phone and there is no problem to adapt my suggestions of new features - title and content (there are 3 vertical bullets at the top right of your feature and when you click on these, you have the possibility to "Edit" ).

Screenshot_20210305-103152.png

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @adinasavescu, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about providing the Fitbit Wellness Report for free with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. You might also be interested in this other suggestion which is open to votes so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

FineHeresAName
First Steps

Why would they provide features for free that should not require any off-device analysis when they can make an internet connection mandatory, move that analysis to their offsite servers and then charge you monthly for it?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is very disappointing.  After reading through several threads with the common theme of "why can't I see all of my data" it seems that Fitbit is more interested in leveraging the data for additonal payment rather than providing a useful customer experience.  I don't see any indication that Fitbit pays attention to user input after reading a year of these threads.  

Each user's personal data is their health data, and we should be able to view it.  In some cases, by giving an average of sleeping heart rate or heart rate variability, you are short-changing the user.  Oura and Whoop will show you hourly graphs of the overnight data, and in many cases this expanded data can be quite useful for the user to figure out health issues. And in the case of the Whoop strap, while they do charge a monthly fee the buy-in cost is much less.  I bought my Charge4 on to analyze sleep data, but now I am having second thoughts.  My old Garmin Forerunner 225 was a better GPS running watch than the Fitbit Charge4, and perhaps another device may be better for analyzing sleep data.

adinasavescu
Base Runner

@FineHeresAName in the world we live into, where each company is measured exclusively on it market valuation this seems normal. From the customer perspective this is outrageous! I mean, I provide my data and in return they charge me to give it back. If they want to use this approach, make the subscription $150/year and include the watch. Every 2 years they send you a new watch. But this is not working.....every 2-3 years I pay $300 for the watch and then I have to pay extra $80/year to get full ownership over my data. Total $540.

The problem is human acceptance......we allowed them to do this and they just take advantage. Same is doing Apple with their closed system. They made you addicted and they began raising prices like a airline company. They try to obtain the highest revenue for each user.

Same is doing Playstation with their games and "online access subscription". You have to pay $60/year to have access to online features of the games, even if you have bought the game.

I really wish now that 70-80% of the people will leave Fitbit platform. They will see that out of all those billions they will get nothing in 6months. But those 70-80% of users, don't go to AMAZFIT because they will do the same afterwards. And I want to go back there..... Instead of trying to make the mountain move, I'll circle it and move on. They don't care about our opinions anyway as long as we'll cover them with money.

@Nash13 I know where to do it from. I press that edit button, make the necessary updates and when I click save the screen turn white-ish and nothing happen. If I hit refresh button, it will return to previous state. Tried from Chrome, Edge, still the same thing......

Nash13
Recovery Runner

Well, it seems that the title has been finally adapted 🙂

For the rest, I totally agree with you @adinasavescu 

Now that Fitbit belongs to Google, maybe they will change their strategy...

adinasavescu
Base Runner

@Nash13 yea, now that Fitbit belongs to Google we might see Melatonin ads when we are not getting enough sleep 🙂

Shargp
Stepping Up

Today the O2 portion of sleep analysis is missing. Since I have had my Fitbit (just over a year)., it has always shown differences in O2 levels during sleep. This is helpful and I am not sure why it has disappeared. Any others had this happen?

devin_m
Base Runner

A free wellness report would be super cool. I support this idea for sure

Pksrowland37
Base Runner
Provide sleep analysis as free feature till it works 98.999% of the time
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Pksrowland37, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see sleep analysis report for free. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Converse
Tempo Runner

Make it free

Arecad
Base Runner

Info about the stats is free for all other smart watch makers. I can fully support a cost for having coaches and workout plans as well as other things that require Fitbit to hire another company or pay to develop (videos, etc). But my own stats? Ridiculous.

The sleep stats and health reports *should absolutely* be free. I am not paying $13 a month to get data that's extracted from my wrist back to me. The watch (and me) is doing all the work here.

GokhanA
Jogger

Hi everyone, I totally agree with the @adinasaveacu on this. I paid more for a device that has extra sensors from the others and now I can not see my personal details coming from this sensor. This is completely ridiculous. This is like, you buy a car that can make 200 km/hour but you can use the car at full speed if you don't pay the company extra for a time-limited software, and when your software membership ends your car back to 120km/hour speed and they are saying you need to renew membership to use your device in full capacity. It is not normal. I already bought and paid for this sensor and I want my data from official, free software. The topics with the same subject were opened in 2019 and Fitbit doesn’t seem to care about their customer's opinions on this.

BAHAZZARD
Jogger

You all understand they collect your data whether you want them to or not. Whether you pay for premium service or not. They are collecting on all sensors and using that data for free. Fortunately, their apps rarely work properly unless they are extorting more money from their customers. At least with Apple you know, you'll pay extra up front. Course, we are dealing with GOOGLE here. They always need more money. You can't even get the time ( from a watch) without activating it~ logging in and creating an account so they can put a name to that data.

CHA ching

Cathyf123
Base Runner

It's not free -- the activity tracker costs money, and wears out relatively quickly. Fitbit gets an income stream from us just because we have to replace devices.

FineHeresAName
First Steps
Honestly, at this point I've bought an old Mi Band and swapped to
Gadgetbridge, at least I know my data isn't going anywhere even if the app
is less usable in its current state.
mrfroid
Recovery Runner

Have no idea how my Fitbit Charge 4 will feel to me after Premium trial (I'm a new user) expires, but pretty sure that I'll find more than one reason to return it for refund if they won't improve their game and attitude. Except for sleep data which I hope will get me in better shape in the next 3 months they lagging in data for sports activities compared to Garmin, Polar, Coros, etc. and even Huawei that provide you with lots of data from firstbeat analytics. 

YYC-Dawg
Recovery Runner

Indeed, FitBit really needs to curb their greed and be more considerate to their massive and growing user base.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.