Reminder when Fitbit detects that an exercise ends

When using the manual walk activity, I frequently forget to end/finish the activity .It would be awesome if, using the same logic for auto activity detection, a notification could be generated for a manual activity has not been manually finished, but the fitbit detects has probably been completed. 

Not to actually finish the activity automatically, but to prompt the user with "it looks like you've finished your activity 10 minutes ago, is this correct?". Sort of like Netflix's " are you still watching?" prompt. 

More info posted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fitbit/comments/9pliko/forgetting_to_end_an_exercise_feature_request/?utm_s...

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

57 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Dvheuvel, great suggestion. Having this option on the Charge 3 would be awesome. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

fourthirty
Runner

Hi Fitbit,

I'll often forget to "stop" tracking an exercise.  For example, I'll manually start a walk/hike/spin exercise, but when I'm finished I'll forget to manually stop the workout.  This results in exercises being logged for several hours, with inaccurate calorie burns and heart rate stats.

Would it be possible to have the device vibrate to "remind" the user that the workout may be completed?  I imagine this could be done with a combination of heart rate, steps, and/or GPS tracking.

Thank you.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @fourthirty. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about getting a notification from your Fitbit if your activity seems to have ended with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Tronahiker
Base Runner

What I really want is for the Fitbit to pause when I stop exercising and then restart when I begin again, much like the Garmin GPS does.  That way it isn't inaccurately calculating the pace and exercise time when walking, hiking, running, etc.

Asnoeren
Hill Runner

when this gets implemented please be very careful Fitbit as we don't want excersices to be finished in the middle of them. Currently this is an open defect already and ofcourse this feature it is more likely to have such a defect.

fourthirty
Runner

I agree @Asnoeren  - I would prefer just a notification/reminder from the device to ask the user if the exercise is still active, versus an automatic stop.  One example is running intervals, or taking a walking break during a long run.  I wouldn't want the Fitbit to automatically stop the exercise during the walk period, which would affect the splits.  Or at least have this as software configurable.

Tronahiker
Base Runner
I also don't want a stop. I want a pause as there is in Garmin's GPS.
fourthirty
Runner

Hi @Tronahiker  - thanks for clarifying.  Just curious (as I don't own a Garmin GPS) - wouldn't an auto-pause feature inaccurately reflect your pace in some circumstances?  For example, if I'm mountain biking but elect to walk steep hills, or running a distance race and choose to stop for some water breaks - if the device paused during this time wouldn't it inaccurately reflect my overall pace?  Perhaps this is an option that you can choose in the Garmin (to auto-pause)?  Thank you.

Tronahiker
Base Runner
No, because when it pauses, it stops counting time. You can pause it now,
but you have to do it manually. I want an automatic pause when you stop
hiking or whatever. Then an automatic restart when you start moving
again. That is the way the Garmin GPS works. If you pause 30 minutes for
lunch, that time wouldn't count in your time in motion.
If you have to do it manually, you might forget to pause it or you might
forget to restart it, as I have done several times.
AliTW
First Steps

Why is there no edit function like on the Charge 3, so that if you forget to stop a run, you can go back and edit. This has just been added to Strava....

Cirrus147
Jogger

This definately needs fixing, so many times I finish my walk or run and then later see fitbit thinks I was exerciseing for 3 hours, (when it knows I was not!)

Its NUTS that this does not remind/pause/stop the exercise slot automatically.

Look there is already a setting :  AUTO DETECT exercises.... runs over 10 mins...... (for example)

So make a setting :  AUTO DETECT exercises pauses  ... pause the exercise when i stop for more than 10 mins, stop exercises that have been paused for more than 30 mins

Setting : When you pause exercising : remind to pause / auto pause

Setting : When you stop exercising : remind to stop / auto stop

It' s just a few more settings IMHO, 

Ian

AliTW
First Steps

Just an editing function would do, so you can go back and change the time the run ended. I'm not so sure about the pause, as if you stop for a rest during a run, that time needs to be added in to pace calculations.

Cirrus147
Jogger

Yes that could be a really simple way to make us all happy!

Ian

Tronahiker
Base Runner
I don't want it added to pace calculations. The whole idea for the pause
is so that pace calculations can be more accurate!
Cirrus147
Jogger

So post exercise edits will keep everyone happy it seems, no automatic pausing or stopping.  Just edit the exercise start and end times like you can with sleeps.

Tronahiker
Base Runner
No, the pause in exercise should be automatic, as should the restart!
If you are hiking a trail, and you stop for lunch or a break, I want the
Fitbit to pause so that time is not included in the hiking time. The pace
is, then, based on the actual time hiked and not on the total time on the
trail.
Please let me know you understand this.
Harvey
instyne49
Recovery Runner

I have this same problem, but I'm biking not hiking. I go to the grocery, I'm not moving as fast and it's all localized. I can pause while in the store, then forget to unpause when leaving. I'm still hooked to GPS, but when I stop the tracking at home, it shows a direct line from my last location to home. I get no credit for the 2+ miles I pedaled. This makes no sense. Count this comment as an upvote from me. I'm going to start my own suggestion, because I  have several arguments on this from a different perspective. 

njmh
First Steps
Could you please consider an opt-in feature where a workout session is automatically ended if the user forgets to proactively end their session. Perhaps this could be done by monitoring movement and when the user remains still for an extended and/or configurable period of time, assume that they've concluded the session and stop tracking.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @njmh, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option see automatic ending option for your exercises. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

miranda_d
Recovery Runner

Agree with this! I think that there are some concerns around stopping an exercise midway - but it could be added like "It appears you're finished exercising, End Now?"

Or link it only to those workouts from within the app - so when a workout on screen ends, so does the exercise period?

instyne49
Recovery Runner

I was told about the auto-pause on the Versa 2. I open exercise, then pick the type, in my case biking. There is a small settings icon that I push, this gives the option of turning on or off auto-pause and GPS. I tried it today and it worked fine. This also works on running, but not swimming or lifting weights. This works on Ionic and Versa series. EdisonFitbit also gave me this link that describes how to use the features.  https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1935

Squidlybit
Recovery Runner

Yes this would be good to implement but so Long as it doesn't become a further problem.

Endomondo tracker app has a similar pause function.

I often wondered why the GPS jumps and misses whole lot of points. Inevitably missing part of the workout like you said

instyne49
Recovery Runner

I believe this is caused by the connection between the watch and phone being interrupted. Most times there isn't a problem, I start before my trip to the grocery, it pauses correctly, but every once in a blue moon the connection gets broken. Then instead of showing the trip, I get a straight line from the grocery to my house. Unfortunately the watch models that have built-in GPS don't appeal to me. I realy like my Versa 2, but on a limited income, couldn't afford a new one if they did add the feature. That would most likely fix the problem though.

romanempire
Jogger

+1 for this.

I sometimes forget to end the workout when I finish which messes everything up. And its made worse because we can't correct the incorrect details of our workouts.

Paul

KtO87
First Steps
A reminder nudge every hour (maybe customizable?) during a manually tracked activity asking "still working?" If yes, user would ignore this, if no, this serves as a prompt to end the tracking of the activity.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.