Rowing/Stationary Rowing Machine Exercise Shortcut

Considering most of the important cardio equipment is represented in the Exercise list, I think it's more than justifiable to add a stationary rowing machine to the list. Almost every gym in America contains at least one or more Concept 2 rower as it is a total body and low impact method of Cardio. It's one of my favorites and I'm sure I am not the only user that is a bit disappointed that is not represented.

Moderator edit: Edited title for clarity and added labels.

1,030 Comments
rusty891
First Steps

Just got the HR for Christmas and today went up to row my 12,000 daily meters, but I see the numbers do not work. Heart rate was mostly accurate but the count was 1/3 of pace and calories burned, 218 vs normal 600+. I see that FitBit is saying Concept2 must create the interface, but maybe FitBit does not know the numbers of people world wide that use the Concept2 rowers, many millions. Every college, sports facilities, many have their own at their homes. I am sorry to lose this interaction with Fitbit but rowing is my main exercise activity. Kind of useless to have the Fitbit with this interaction.

Aredhel
Premium User
Recovery Runner
Even the Microsoft Band 2 has a rowing option and tracking that kind of activity works like charm (if nothing else). Come on fitbit, you don't want to fall behind Microsoft in your field of expertise, do you?
highhopes
Jogger

Please add an Exercise Category that would apply to using the Total Gym for a workout.

Total Gym is a Resistance-based exercise while on a moving slantboard... not exactly Weights or Pilates. While there is no walking involved with the Total Gym, it will record that Steps were taken if I use the Timer to record the Activity.

If a new category is not added, might you suggest which current category I should choose? Love using my new Charge HR, thank you!!

athiker80
Jogger

I use my Concept 2 Rower 5X per week for various cardio and weight loss programs along with weekly Mt Bike rides and Tabata circuts. I really hate having to manually convert meters to miles. Fit Bit should get on board. Concept 2 is probably the top rowing machine out there. The US Olympic Team trains on Concept, every quality gym has several, as do a lot of colleges. Lets see some integration between Fitbit and Concept.

jiriv
First Steps
Hello, any chance of adding Rowing into exercise? Many thanks, J
EveyB
First Steps

If Fitbit could add a 'row' function on the Surge that would be great. The 'workout' mode can be changed to Rowing, obviously, but that means that it doesn't record distance or boat speed; which is obviously really important to rowers! If it could include stroke rate (strokes per minute) then that would be great, but way less essential. It would have to be very very similar to running, but track speed per 500m and account for boat motion. In a similar way to bike vs. spinning, rowers would also benefit from being able to track rowing machine workouts- although distance on this would be much much more difficult to calculate. 

This update would make a lot of boatie people very very happy! 

jrouss28
First Steps

I am also very interested in an integration to the concept 2 rower.

jrouss28
First Steps

I second this request.

jrouss28
First Steps

I am also interested in this. Particulary for the concept 2.

jrouss28
First Steps

Please add rowing. I will buy a Fitbit the day you do.

jfsmith3
Jogger

Agree with the above comments. An accurate rowing machine option for Fitbit (especially Concept 2) seems like an essential option for the many, many rowing machine users.

BrendanE
First Steps

I completely agree -I love the Fitbit but it doesn't seem well set up for rowers. You really need to make those changes so that I can make the most out of the wonderful Christmas present my dad got for me. I'm a rower and while I also bike and can run-rowing on the erg or on the water is what I do. 

IvanJY
First Steps

Its a lot easier to pull log data from concept 2 logbooks then to try and figure out how to accurately measure someones rowing speed & distance.

crwilson
First Steps

this is an excellent suggestion

@EveyB wrote:

If Fitbit could add a 'row' function on the Surge that would be great. The 'workout' mode can be changed to Rowing, obviously, but that means that it doesn't record distance or boat speed; which is obviously really important to rowers! If it could include stroke rate (strokes per minute) then that would be great, but way less essential. It would have to be very very similar to running, but track speed per 500m and account for boat motion. In a similar way to bike vs. spinning, rowers would also benefit from being able to track rowing machine workouts- although distance on this would be much much more difficult to calculate. 

This update would make a lot of boatie people very very happy! 

SLCOVEY
Jogger
It would be great to have shortcuts and algorithms for Concept 2 SkiErgs and Rowing Machines. Any plans for this feature set? Thanks.
Danielikestain
Stepping Up
Please add a rowing machine workout since it's pretty different thatn rowing plus considering rowing it's for water sealed tracker rowing machine is far more used. Additionally would be great to have strokes rowed. Thanks and please take into consideration the request because actually rowing it s just uneuseful if not for track fixed calories, and i think most of the community didn't buy it with calories as the first priority
Menona
First Steps
Pls add a Downing machine option under exercise
WCONWAY
First Steps

Can we get some feedback from Fitbit on this - it seems like there is a lot of demand for this - it also seems as if it has been marked as a good idea by Fitbit - but it is now a year later and there has been no visible progress. It would be nice to get updates as to why this is not on the device at the moment - whether it is possible to put it on, when it could be expected etc etc. There is very little point in having a feature request section unless it is regularly updated - otherwise people will stop making suggestions.

SteveRMP
First Steps
Please advise me on the best exercise to use to replicate dragon boat racing (or rowing)
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
As a Concept 2 user, I also request that Fitbit include a means of recording rowing sessions.
CopywriterBob
Recovery Runner

To be honest, if I knew for a certainty that "rowing machine" would be an automatic option if I upgraded to your premium service I would certaintly do it.  

Gilesypd
First Steps
We count strokes. Could be done Utilising step counter, GPS for distance and speed. Speed is in meters per second
dswoff
Recovery Runner

Please, Please, Please include a Rowing function!

Let me start by saying that I love my surge, and can't wait for the Blaze, but please include a exersize option for rowing that is compatible with the concept 2 and ErgData.  Your Watches are compatible with many other systems and this one would be of great benifit to the many people that have your watch and want to row.  It also would be a great selling point as there really are not many devices for amature rowers that could do GPS as well as what your device is capable of.  There are some devices that just track stroke count, but many of these don't actually sync to the computer so that you can track acuratly.  I think that there are a lot of people that would buy your watch just for this feature alone, and that won't now becasue it doesn't have it.

Cat HappyMan HappyRobot HappySmiley HappyWoman Happy

Moderator edit: format

MattSwartz
Jogger
So on the surge there are many workouts that the watch will recognize and record. I was hoping that maybe the watch could recognize rowing. I have an erg and it would be really useful to be able to track my progress.
DaninOz
Jogger
The Fitbit really needs a rowing machine option in the exercise list - it's a great exercise, and it's hardly uncommon!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.