Run Cadence

It seems since the surge is already tracking steps that adding cadence as one of the tracked metrics during a run (and displayed on the activities page) would be a very nice and somewhat trivial addition.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels. 

82 Comments
AlliedToasters
First Steps

Hey! Um yeah this feature is HUGE. I don't understand why it doesn't exist yet. I actually got my Fitbit for the express purpose of tracking my cadence in real time. The device collects all the necessary data... so why doesn't the app calculate and report cadence and stride length? This is extremely important for runners! Please install this feature immediately ! There's no reason not to!!!

Dafauti
Base Runner

This would be a great feature for someone working on improving their runs. It is available for other devices and since FITBIT tracks the no. of steps, including this as a feature shouldn't be a big issue.

GarethDPhillips
Strider

+1 I'd like to see this.  I note that on Strava runs tracked by Garmin and other devices there is a Cadence metric. Fitbit doesn't upload this as it doesnt calculate it, but it could, as the steps are known (and quite accurately) 

GarethDPhillips
Strider

This is an essential feature as its a big deal to runners. All the metrics exist for the Fitbit device to calculate this, and display it as one of the in-run stats (as well as show it in the run stats after the event etc)

Most other competitor products are recording this now, certainly all the Garmin's do, as I see this metric in Strava for uploaded runs from those devices. 

PLEASE make this happen 

michov
Jogger
Seems that the only side not interested in this improvement is Fitbit.
I am going back to Garmin.
JoeDavidBobJr
First Steps
I switched over to a Garmin Forerunner 235.

For runners, this is a much better watch than anything Fitbit offers. Way more metrics and better information during and after runs for users to analyze.

Hard to believe Fitbit still has not added cadence for the Surge. As it should be a relatively simple addition to include. If Fitbit will neglect a feature important to some runners, I will neglect Fitbit in return, and continue using Garmin.

Happy running everyone!
GarethDPhillips
Strider
It is actally the Blaze I want it for, but any device which supports runs,
epscially GPS runs, should have this
Antaris
First Steps

As a measurement of the pedometer reading over time, this seems like a trivial calculation and something that could be easily implemented as a firmware update.

I am hoping this finds its way onto my Blaze soon.

Jose_1972
Jogger

Agree with you!

PaintieBeks
Jogger

I have a stride sensor MOOV which does not work with Fitbit. 

Id love to see Fit bit either give cadence in real time on the display, or take in data from stride sensors to display it. 

I'm surprised cadence isn't a feature - straightforward to do on display and voice. Such a great way to keep pace up/down and run to pace. 

PaintieBeks
Jogger

And in charge 2

Tiffany_Gidley
First Steps

Please add this incredibly useful feature. I have a Charge 2 and love that I am improving my running but cadence tracking would be highly beneficial. 

cwr2514
Recovery Runner

Add to FitBit Alta as well. At least provide cadence info on dashboard afterwards!

oscarstve
Jogger

Sorry, it was in April 2015, more than two years ago.

Kamelone
Recovery Runner

I don't understand why this hasn't been implemented! All data are there. I'd love to know my cadence to maybe optimize it, but am to lazy to set up a test to manually calculate it 😛

The cadence and stride length could be plotted in the app the same way as HR or speed. Would be interesting to be able to see cadence and stride length in the same graph as pace/speed and elevation.

anotherhoward
Jogger

Please add cadence and stride length calculations.

Boost01
Runner

The lack of cadence just shows me that a Fitbit is not a serious workout device, but more of a toy. Any serious fitness device includes this, especially as it is extremely simple to calculate/implement.

If this feature isn't added by the time my Charge 2 needs replacing, I won't be buying another Fitbit.

Boost01
Runner

I second this for the Charge 2 (or actually each and every Fitbit device).

Neveralone
First Steps

I really would love a cadence tracker on my Blaze. This is a crucial part of improving running performance. My friend has this on her Garmin watch. Please add this as an update. 

kenrhorne
Jogger

What happened here ?

All of these comments go back to 2016 - i've seen no update ?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, please add the cadence to iconic watch

Snoopie2503
Stepping Up

Adding real time Cadence output to the Fitbit Ionic would be a really nice feature. Whilst not the be all and end all, it would be an interesting metric to have.  All competitors seem to include this feature on their devices which i would think would be an easy inclusion? 

SaulM
First Steps

A good feature when checking cadence impact. Definitely, will consider this feature when purchasing my next tracker. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit. We’d encourage you to make this suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly. Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I want to actively monitor steps per minute (run cadence) during my workout. This seems like a simple software addition that could be turned on and off by any user via their selected menu items.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.