Scalable charts

Please add the ability to scale charts. I would like to zoom in to my heart rate chart for example, but this is currently not possible. The scale of my weight over time is not to my liking. I would like to be able to adjust the axes to suit my taste 

Moderator edit: Labels

35 Comments
andysando
Recovery Runner

I think it would be nice if you could select and "zoom" in on a certain part of the day when looking at the step/calories and sleep graph, and maybe it could also sum up steps/calories for that selection. As it is now, you can hoover your mouse over the bars which represents 5 or 15(?) and see details for those minutes. But on several occasions I've wanted to see details for my activity between say 15.32 and 16.18, to maybe compare to a runkeeper log or for some other reason, but this is not possible. I have to hoover over the bars summing it up myself but most irritating is that I cannot get the exact time interval.

So in short, I'd like to be able to "zoom" in on the bars and part of day.

Thanks!

Michael
5K Racer

You can already do this on the web site. Just create an "activity" record for the time period that you want to "zoom" into and then you can get a graph that shows minute by minute data.

andysando
Recovery Runner

Thank you for the input, but that seems like an unnecessary extra step, especially if there is no special activity I want to look at. I want to be able to zoom even if I just walked from the office to the car, if you know what I mean.

jpt75
First Steps

It would be really helpful to be able to zoom in on the graphs on the FitBit App for iPhone.  I know you can touch the graph and it will switch to landscape, but then it would be nice to be able to zoom in on a time period.  Instead, you have to touch each bar to get data and they are so small.  I would like to be able to see the data in more detail.

epk
First Steps

fully support this idea, to Zoom in on graphs.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your idea in the Feature Request Board @jpt75! Feel free to keep participating in the Fitbit Forums.

See you!

JonS9
First Steps

Recently had a virus that attacked My heart 😞  big build up of fluid that eventually needed to be drained.  fully recovered now 🙂  the graph of resting daily heart rate was very useful for the cardiologists...   Would be great to be able to zoom in on the daily chart to specific times - the dispaly is way too small and swiching to full screen makes it even smaller as the vertical scale does not auto-size.

Please also add max & min heart rate to the daily chart.

TheRK
First Steps

Good Evening FitBit Community & Developers! This is a longer read than most posts, so skip to the TL;DR  to skip my personal experience.

While I am an iOS user, I welcome other phone carriers to chime in on their experiences with this suggestion!

Allow me to jump right into my simple pitch: Graph Scaling, or Smart Axes.

As a smartphone user, I have grown accustomed to pinching in order to zoom in/out of whatever I am viewing. Some applications are more intuitive than others, but what I noticed could give the FitBit app a significant improvement is Graph Scaling for the full-screen graphs in the FitBit Application. It is most apparent in the BPM full-day graph, and maybe it can take notes from the Smart Axis already used in the minimized version, and full-screen weight tracker.

I recently bought an Alta HR, and went for a run today. Afterwards, I checked out what this app can do in terms of raw data. The full-day specifics were not close enough so I cracked open the full-screen. Inside, I await hard-to-read data on a y-axis scale of 0 to 240 BPM. I try to zoom in on my data to allow the axis to scale to the data that is actually useful, and to my dismay, it does not. 

==================================

TL;DR

Look, I do not care about a BPM below 30, so why do I care about my data on a scale to 0? Same goes for the high-end of the graph.

Right now, my data feels like a picture, "take it or leave it." Graph Scaling would simultaneously allow users who prefer the full 0 to 240 BPM range, and others to zoom in on a specific time of day. All of this occurring while the y-axis scales appropriately. This zooming feature would allow the major y-axis lines to scale appropriate to what the screen shows. If you're curious what this looks like, here is a LINKto the NASDAQ information by Yahoo Finance. In this full graph, you can zoom in on specific time ranges, and the y-axis will scale appropriately. 

*If you do not trust links, then google "NASDAQ Yahoo Finance," click the first link and then full-screen the price index graph

Another idea, or best alternative to the real recommendation, that I have would be called Smart Axes. This is already implemented in the minimized version, when viewing each day. While in full-screen this is not the same scale offered, I recommend an option to toggle the ability to view the full range, or what is actually important to the individual user.

I also recently logged into the FitBit website dashboard and noticed it could also use the same utility offered.

==================================

So there you have it, I recommend Graph Scaling, or Smart Axes as an alternative fix to the clunky graphs FitBit users are currently offered. 

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding my proposal and I will happy to answer them.

Best,

RK

Frippe
First Steps

Love my Fitbit Alta HR! My suggestion is to adjust the scale of the graphs in the app, I.e when I click like on full screen graph for pulse the graph itself is still very small and surrounded by empty background space. Would be great to pinch zoom or at least have the graph use as much as possible of the screen to get better visibility on details

Dadda62
Stepping Up

My experience is the same, but for body weight tracking.  I'm 230 lbs, yet my weight has been fluctuating between 222-235 lbs for the past 3 months.  The graph has a y-axis from 160-260 lbs, so my "progress" looks like a flat line which is virtually useless for "progress tracking".  Smart-scaling should show a graph with a y-axis scale from  220-240 lbs or at worst 200-250 lbs.  

The same could be said for many of the bar graphs, eg. calorie tracking.  My basal metabolic rate for my age is around 2200 cal daily.  Since I will always exceed this level, the bar graph should be condensed to between 2000 and 10% above my highest recording for any time scale.  

Flat charts are useless for any good analysis.  Hopefully, Fitbit will see the merit in this suggestion and tweak their various apps.  

MikeR417
Base Runner

I agree with the other posts.  Being able to scale and enlarge graphs on the app and dashboard would be great.  I would also love to have more ordinates of the axes to better discern the HR displayed.  I also use the fitbit data to show the cardiologist what I am experiencing during exercise, but it the app and dashboard lacks details.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Interesting idea @blackboab.

I can definitely see how it could be useful to be able to set the graphs to display the information in the way each user wants. 

Let's keep an eye on what other users think about this.

TheRK
First Steps

I think we have enough user interest in this idea. I spoke to someone at FitBit over the phone, and they explained why the heart-rate shows BPM from 0 to 240, but the normal user is not using this device for the reasons given. This application feels unfinished and not worth the price paid for. This is such a simple, intuitive feature, that is in many other applications for different uses. Why is it not in the application that costs $100+, and has been out for a few years now?

blackboab
First Steps

Definitely agree that the lack of features (not just chart scaling) makes the app look unfinished. Shame because the hardware is cool. Keeping my fingers crossed for some feature updates in the future!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Why are different scales used for y-axis in displaying heart rate. The "preview" is very good. Y-axis is scaled based on min/max values.

Heart Rate OverviewHeart Rate Overview

But after tapping "enlarge/zoom" button, it is not very helpful that the y-axis is scaled static from 0 to 240. For example look at my todays graph.When I had a look to it at around 8AM I only saw a more or less flat line. That's okay, because I was sleeping before. But sorry, to scale Y-axis up to 240 makes 100% no sense.

Please make it dynamically like in preview screen.

Heart Rate Zoomed inHeart Rate Zoomed in

Thomas

TheRK
First Steps

These requests are very specific and exist on other apps and platforms. This seems easy to implement devs.

richard_dc
Recovery Runner

I agree with felzi276.

On the iPhone app, when displaying e.g. heart rate, the vertical axis is scaled from min to max value for the time-period displayed. When the 2-arrow expansion is clicked, the scaling becomes enormous - no longer the max-min range. How can you keep the max-min range when using the 2-arrow expansion?

TheRK
First Steps

Richard and Felzi, please read my somewhat lengthy post. I already described this point.

What kind of pipeline can developers give us for implementation? 

woahdavey
First Steps

I really want this as sometimes I want to look at my heart rate during specific things like relaxation and mindfulness, but it is so hard to tell what is what on the dashboard.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to be able to see how many steps I did in a certain time period, and I would like to have the calendar have a checkmark for the days I attained my steps goal as it does for "exercise" currently.

For example, one day last week, I went for a walk from 11:15 until 2 pm and I want to see how many steps I did on that walk. Currently, there's a bar graph to show the steps per 15 minutes intervals, but to get the total steps on the walk, I have to hover over each 15 minute time period and then add them up manually.

It would be appreciated to be able to enter a date and then a start and end time to see the steps during that period. It would be like the calendar view for exercise on the dashboard (see screenshot below), except the start and end would be a clock time not a calendar date.

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.15.34 AM.jpeg

Plus, the bar graph would be much more helpful if we could zoom in on it. As it is now, it's very tiny. If we pinched to zoom in (on the app) or mouse-scroll (on the dashboard), the time on the x-axis would be usable. Right now it looks nice but it's not really very helpful. (See screenshot below, however, the screenshot is MUCH MUCH bigger on the computer screen than it is on the actual dashboard window!). 

See how hard it is to see at what time the intense steps were?See how hard it is to see at what time the intense steps were?

IN FACT, all the graphs and windows on the app (and dashboard) should be zoomable, and need the x axis identified (on the bottom of the graphs.)

IMG_B32A30CD7F53-1.jpeg

And lastly, that calendar for the checkmarks for steps--not just for "activities" which is available on the app. (And why isn't is available on the dashboard, btw???)

IMG_BD0DC9461E7D-1.jpeg

Dadda62
Stepping Up

This is absolutely my biggest peeve with Fitbit android app.  Because I set my goal to lose 50lbs, my "progress" looks like a very flat line because the graph includes my goal way 50lbs way below.  Very demoralizing to "see" almost zero progress.

KayJay93
Jogger

I’d also love to be able to zoom in on charts on the app to see information on specific times! Currently, there is the option to make the chart bigger, but on an iPhone, the size only enlarges slightly...if at all. I’m interested in seeing things from smaller intervals of time, so the ability to zoom would be well recieved!

Bloovix
Recovery Runner

Hello, I would like to have a way in the Fitbit app to “zoom in” in the graphics. As example in Heart Rate, so I can see how is it after exercise and so on, instead of seeing only max and min beat

Bibicu
Stepping Up

In the Fitbit App (android at least) please make heart rate and other graphs scalable, so we can zoom in / out (the time axis) !

And also auto scale the Y axis for heart rate graph in full screen mode !

ElJefe
Jogger

Agreed on most points here.  A very simple solution in the meantime is to merely make the axis dynamic with whatever the ranges are you are within.  On the integrated view it does max out the axis with your top of the range so it is easier to see, but when you go into full screen mode then the axis remains at 240 to 0.  It forces your BPM into this small range in teh middle, unless you are an outlier ready to die at 240 BPM...  LIke a stock ticker, let's see the BPM at a specific time (i.e. I was backpacking and hit a very steep areas (2,000+ ft gain in under 1 mile) and I would like to see how BPM changed during that part of the trek).  First, just fix the axis.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.