See Vitamin/Mineral data in Food log

Most of the food already have entries in the nutrition facts for vitamins and minerals, so why can't we drill down into this data? I would like to know if I am lacking in any particular vit/min, so I would know if I need a supplement.

Moderator edit:  Labels

98 Comments
akleckner
First Steps

Yes!  It would be simple to link their food log with the USDA website.   

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be great if the IOS App would allow you to track your fiber, calcium and vitamin d intake much like the water intake can be tracked. Fiber, Calcium and Vitamin D intake are great markers of a healthy diet. Setting goals for those would make the Fitbit app even more useful and motivating to stay healthy.

Madmoose
Jogger

Hello,

I would like to see an area added in the jernal log entry for tracking medications and vitamins. I have to take a pill twice a day, and I sometimes can't recall if I took it or not. It would be nice if I can open up the dashbord on my PC or the App on my phone, and log that I've taken it. It would help to make sure I never miss a dose.

I think this would also work for vitmin suppluments too. The one thing I would like to make sure though is that you add a "amount of time used" for doses too. Here in Alaska we have to use "Happy Lights" as we call them for Vitamin D and combate Seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

Starkman78
Base Runner

Yes! Active people tend to have substantial supplement "stacks," and those taking medications would definitely benefit from a tracker. Efficient troubleshooting of a health/wellness plan ought to include accounting for everything that we put into our bodies.

WestCoastSucces
First Steps

Wholeheartedly concur! I'd very much like the ability to see which, if any, vitamins and minerals I may be running a deficit in. All the food I log contains this data; it's just not currently possible to see it in the aggregate.

sharra65
Premium User
Jogger

I'd like to be able to track vitamins and minerals.  Right now, I can enter the value in the nutritional info but I can't track it.  What's the point?   Please Fitbit, can you add this feature or let us know if you're planning on adding it?  🙂

sharra65
Premium User
Jogger

But not just for IOS app.  Android too!!

LissaW
First Steps
I would like to see this feature too. I have several medicines and vitamines that I take at different times of the day, once I get up, at bfast, at noon, at dinner, after dinner. Thanks.
bucsoprano
Recovery Runner

I'd just like to be able to track them on my computer since I don't have the other tools.

redjopgh
First Steps

I agree, there are some meds and supplements which I take different amounts of at different times or as needed (allergy meds at the height of season for example)... I agree that different times of the day should be available.  I am new to fitbit and was surprised that this option was not available... seemed like it would be something everyone who is health conscious would want to track.... PLEASE add this one fitbit programmers!  Thank you!!

lilio
First Steps

I also take a lot of meds and vitamins because of a digestive problem. I don't eat a lot of solid food and need to make sure I get enough protein, vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. It would be great if I could add these to my intake and keep track of them. Please try and make this a PRIORITY. 

CarlWaddell
First Steps

My wife and I both have medical problems and purchased the flex to track our health. It would be great if they added that to the log so I could run a report for my doctors.

LeslieJ
Recovery Runner

The calcium data posted in the Premium food intake reports is erroneous.  (10000 mg of calcium in 1/4 cup ice cream?)

Most data reported on nutrition labels is reported in %, unfortunately.  The data reported in the Premium report is in mg so I suspected a conversion error.

This is therefore useless in trying to measure calcium intake.

jmcpatrick
First Steps

Agreed. Please add this feature.

Bkearns123
First Steps

Ditto

GailC
Premium User
Keeping Pace

I have subscribed to the United States Department of Agriculture website for many years. At their site you can track your food intake and generate a report that will tell you in excellent detail what is in the food you have eaten. It is the best site for this information I have ever found and I have tried several others like SparkPeople and nutrition data at Self.com. You can use it as a guest to try it out.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov

The Nutrients Report covers 14 nutrient catagories from Total Calories to Cholesterol, 9 Minerals from Calcium to Zink and 12 Vitamins from A to Choline. On the report you can click on any of the 35 items and view the details which include the food you ate that it included and the percentage of each of the foods that totaled that nutrient intake. The data detail is amazing and it is instantaneous. It includes the ability to view graphs and charts on your food intake. And thats not all. It also inculdes a detailed physical activity tracker, ability to compare foods, ability to set up a food plan, a coach function and more. 

Yesterday, I sent an email to Fitbit customer support to ask them if they would be adding the USDA food tracker. The reply suggested that I look for an answer at the Idea Exchange. I assume this means that I need to find other users to 'drive-up' the interest for them to add this feature. 

I hope you check it out the USDA site and let me know what you think. And more importantly if you like it let Fitbit know too. 

Thanks!

Connie9
First Steps

Being able to add a tile for Calcium and a tile for Phosphorus would personalize this tool for me. Others may like to track fibre, cholesterol, vitamin D, iron, etc. Seems to me, the program does have this information logged. The Fitbit is a new toy for me so I don't know if we are sent updates on a regular basis... I hope so!

SABDalen
Jogger

I like this on myfitnesspal, but quit using it. I didn't have the choice to sync foods only with fitbit and syncing actitivy would screw up all three of my trackers - runkeeper, mfp, and fitbit. I have vitamin deficiencies and this would be SO helpful. I also don't like having to use 3+ apps for things, I'd rather it were all in one place. 

mjcol50
First Steps

Just echoing this. Really wish I couls see a report on how my vitamins and minerals stack up. I will look elsewhere and hope FitBit adds this soon.

Baxter65
Jogger

Please, oh please, do include calcium intake as a category tracked in the food log. I used to have osteoporosis and try to track my calcium intake daily to ensure I am getting adequate levels. I love how FitBit's site shows the other categories, not only per food item but also per meal and daily totals. PLEASE ADD CALCIUM AND SUGAR AS WELL!

DA91507
First Steps

I totally agree. Need to track vitamin data.

caroled
First Steps

YES, please add a column where we can track sugar. SUGAR (Fructose) is the problem for weight gain, not calories.

FinnKick
Jogger

Absolutely!

Even those of us not on a strict medication regimen could absolutely benefit from this! I take natural supplements almost every day- being able to track vitamins that I take would help me to see what vitamins and minerals I can still use more of through my diet.

Even if it's not synced to the food log, just knowing what I took each day could be a huge help to keep up, and to be able to provide a true look at daily nutrition- a simple "Daily Medicine/Supplement Checklist" feature on the dashboard (think similar to logging water, just a simple "taken"/"not taken") would be better than nothing!

karenkaytaylor7
First Steps

This would be an awesome feature... I hope they add something like this soon.

Milena1112
Jogger

Yes! The premium feature lacks this option. It's great to see protein vs carbs vc fats, but what about all those minerals such as iron??!!! I'd also like to see the breakdown in fats...Saturated vs un-saturated.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.