Sleep Challenge

There are challenges you can do based on steps or reaching your step goal, why not for sleep? There are recommended hours that people need and that should be a priority in our lives in order to keep our physical and mental health in top shape. Sleep goals and challenges with groups could be helpful in making that a priority. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels - Updated subject for clarity.

54 Comments

Introduce challenge feature for family and friends to compete on sleeping and improving their sleep habits as outcome of challenge.

PixieSticks
First Steps

Hello, I was directed to post this idea here after commenting on one of FitBit’s Facebook posts a few days ago. 

I would love to see a sleep badge that we can work on. I struggle with maintaining a healthy amount of hours of sleep, even with a bedtime reminder set. Badges and achievements help to motivate me, and I think an implementation of a sleep badge would help me work towards a healthier sleep goal.

It would be a challenge to make it for at least 6-7 hours a night minimum, but it would be a huge benefit for our health.

In short, I would love to see a badge update to include achieving X hours of sleep. Thank you!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @PixieSticks! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

StaceyLayne
First Steps

I would love a sleep challenge and accountability for this!

Epags
First Steps

I would love to see a “Daily Showdown” or “Workweek Hustle” type challenge for hours of sleep! The challenges are very motivating for getting steps but I never feel motivated to get enough sleep. I think a sleep challenge would be a lot of fun and just as competitive as the step challenges. 

BeckyK30
Jogger

Sleep is such an important factor in health, I think sleep challenges (in a similar way of the steps challenges) between friends would be a good idea. We already set ourselves an aim for how much sleep we can get, the challenge could be around the people who get the closest amount, or alternatively the most sleep. You could even score based on how much restful sleep experienced compared to restless/awake time. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @BeckyK30! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your idea. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

Lfreymann
First Steps

I would LOVE a sleep challenge option!! I've been wanting it for years. I would even pay for premium if that was part of the package. 

PeebzNation
Jogger

I would love it if my friends and I could participate in sleep Challenges together! Best average over a 5 day span, and also a 7 day span maybe? Maybe also like a "Sleep Mayor" where whoever has the best sleep average over a 30-day time period is the mayor of sleepy land. The more challenges the better and ones involving sleep like this seems like a no brainier.

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @PeebzNation, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about adding sleep challenges. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

Jyoutrippinbro
First Steps

My friends and coworkers work long and crazy hours sometimes. Proper rest can be just as important as exercise and we need to be able to compete with each other to achieve our sleep goals. Motivation to become healthier overall. 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Jyoutrippinbro, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about adding sleep challenges. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

Bestcat
Jogger
Fitbit should allow us to create a larger variety of challenges. I think challengers for sleep scores, sleep hours, floors climbed, or active minutes would make the app more interesting to use. Additionally, it would improve Fitbit’s social experience!
zaacckb
Recovery Runner

There are challenges that include active minutes on Fitbit Premium.

However, sleep data and floors climbed are not active challenges on the platform.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Bestcat, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see sleep challenge on the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about it here. You can read more about this other requests here: Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins. Keep adding these suggestions.

imits
First Steps

We absolutely need this. Sleep is probably the most important aspect of wellbeing, even more important than cardio, and much harder to cheat on.

Domi932
First Steps
Can we get a 5 Day and Weekend challenge for sleeping as well please?
This would be quite straight forward I guess, since you can just compare the average of the sleepindexes of every passed day.
Is it even possible to develop this in the fitbitstudio myself?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Domi932, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see sleep challenges on the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about it here. I hope to see you around.

Maraw4444
First Steps
Just as there are group challenges for steps, zones, and distance, add a sleep score challenge
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Maraw4444, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see "Sleep Score Challenges". I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

Amanda314
First Steps

I also came here to say having a sleep challenge would be awesome. Sleep challenges could be similarly integrated with heart rates too. However, both of these would need to be adjusted since the challengers may have different ages, genders, etc and would therefore have different healthy ranges. Please do this though. I need motivation in the form of a competition to go to sleep before 0400 on a regular basis. 

fuubuu
Jogger

The best thing about my Charge 4 has been the more-detailed sleep analysis, and it's also why I decided to maintain my Premium membership. I've often thought it would be great to have sleep challenges so I'm here to add my vote. Using sleep score would be fine but as some have already noted, there might be a real need for finer grained measures like Deep Sleep. That's why we pay you the big bucks, to figure that stuff out! And hurry please! 

max71
Recovery Runner

Hey all, I remember seeing this thread and some other ones a while back and my friends and I were really into the idea. One of my friends sent me this recently and looks like something was finally released on the App Store for sleep challenges/competitions. It's called "Sleepover" and we've tried it out a couple days- it works really well and looks great. Not a Fitbit exclusive feature but seems to actually be better that way since we can compete with our friend that uses Sleep Cycle with Apple Watch. I'll attach the link below in case anyone is still interested in the idea of sleep competitions!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sleepover-sleep-to-compete/id1556384666

Sea1098
First Steps

Sad to see it's been 3 years and challenges for sleep hasn't been pushed through yet.

Since getting my Inspire 2, my bf with his HR and his sister with her Versa 3, have been doing challenges every week. Steps, miles and active minutes are no biggie for us, but sleep is our biggest struggle. We actively keep track of our sleep but that can only do so much.

We are super competitive with these challenges and adding something for sleep will help so many of us who need that extra push. I believe there are many wonderful suggestions previous to this comment on how to get this up and running.

It's almost the middle of 2021, we need to up the anti. Currently got a year on premium and would love to see this come through to make continuing my membership worth it.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.