Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
CarlFisher
Recovery Runner

Agreed. I miss this feature from my Jawbone UP3.

ftoons
First Steps

To me this is a deal breaker.

I don't think I'd buy another tracker unless it has a smart silent alarm feature. 

Sincerely hope its implemented by Fitbit

markom
Stepping Up

Oh thank god, they are still considering it!

I was worried, it's been over 2 years now. Phew thank god they are still thinking about it

Stancy
Jogger

How is it that this feature was suggested in 2013 and still not addressed? It doesn't seem that disintegration would be that difficult, what's the problem? Perhaps fit bit doesn't read these boards?

Avendarius
Jogger

I can't upvote this enough.  As it stands at the time of this comment, there are certain Fitbit devices that track sleep cycles.   There are apps that can do this as well with an alarm.   One of these apps could/should develop a link to Fitbit, but it would be better if Fitbit deliver the alarm themselves.  This can't be that hard to code.   Program a time range based on desired wake up time that, if need be, pings the phone more frequently to determine when in that range the wearer is in the desired sleep stage and then fire the silent alarm.   I would gladly give up extra charge time for this capability. 

DanielISR
Stepping Up

after waiting 2 years... bought Mi band 2 for 23 dollars 1/6 of Fitbit price. F this..

NickTheNewbie
First Steps

I'm number 3000 to thumbs up! I would very much like this feature.

YvanB
Stepping Up

I gave up. Fitbit don't even come here to read our comment and put an update time to time.

They care just to attract new customer but not to evolve their product.

Apparently the Voice of customer is a concept completely unknown for them or they are so selfish that they don't care.

It's unacceptable to have 3000 post in 3 years and no feedback , no update. It's so disrespectful for the customers.

I switch to Samsung Galaxy gear S2 and I have updates every month, the community is active and we have reply from Samsung representative.

I would encourage you to change for a company who care about their customer. Whatever product you choose but no more FitBit ... or FitBeurk I should say

Avendarius
Jogger

Update:  after doing research the API's made available by Fitbit are not useful in integrating with a sleep schedule app.  Therefore, the onus is on Fitbit to either make the necessary API's available or (the obvious, easier route...) incorporate the sleep schedule information into a silent alarm in their own app.   

Considering that I own my Fitbit primarily to aid in sleep tracking, this is a pretty high priority for me.   If a Fitbit associate is reading this, please share what you have on the roadmap in the way of sleep alarms. 

Robb92x
Keeping Pace

Yes please! Sleep as Android does this and I think it's the best feature. I was surprised to see this wasn't already part of Fitbit.

I know they just recently updated their sleep service at the start of this year. Now that we have the three sleep stages already being recorded, it should be no problem to wake us up during the most natural stage

mking480
First Steps

Since the Blaze can now track your sleep cycles it would be amazing to be able to wake up in a light sleep phase. So set an alarm for 7 am and the alarm on your Blaze goes off at the closest light sleep session to 7 am. That way you wake up refreshed! 

ACG
Veteran Runner

Smart silent alarm, this sounds cool. 

Hope fitbit is listening. 

YvanB
Stepping Up

@Robb92xit cannot be fully implemented as FitBit does not run Android Wear.

Unfortunately the Fitbit developers have 2 left hands, they are not capable to integrate this function or modify their API in order that others can develop the application.

* years under evaluation and no communication from Fitbit... They just don't care.

CharlieChatz
Recovery Runner

@YvanB How come Microsoft has it on their Microsoft Band 2 for all the phones (Iphones, Android and Windows Phones)?

I didn't expect Fitbit to be soooo much behind Microsoft on smartwatch features. Had My Microsoft Band 2 for over a year and replaced it with the Fitbit Blaze as the Band2 is discontinued but I am very disappointed so far. 

But as a Windows Phone user my wear choices are limited. 

YvanB
Stepping Up

@CharlieChatzMicrosoft made the effort to integrate their Band 2 to all platform.

Fitbit didn't made any major improvement even on the new band. I strongly believe they will disappear if they don't come with major new features. They are behind even of certain Chip China band.

On any community I'm part of, if I post something like that, in less than 24h I'm contacted by someone from the company. Here I post pretty rude message against FitBit. No reaction either on the post or in my mail.

They just don't read their own forum , they don't care about their customer.

I'm almost sure that they will never implement this function

VinC
First Steps

I agree and up vote this. It wouldn't be that hard guys.  It seems so obvious and not too difficult.  Please make this change.  

meakyl
First Steps

I really need this too

JennyBrown
Jogger

I commented on this years ago, but I have been following it. It is clear that FitBit is unwilling to adapt in the market with this feature.

When my current Charge HR dies (probably this year, BTW), I am most certainly buying a tracker that not only reads heart rate but also has a smart alarm. And, it will probably be cheaper than any FitBit and last longer. It will probably even integrate with my phone/computer better.

It really is so incredibly lame that FitBit hasn't implemented this yet. All the capability is there, but instead of making their product better, they just make more new products that do the same thing.

But, better is out there, and one day, they will probably need to catch up and adapt or close their doors. I encourage everyone to comment on this with their ideas for products that already do this, and then, plan to buy them when their current FitBit dies.

Avendarius
Jogger

Just curious, is there any way Fitbit can post a road map where this idea is concerned? It seems that there a quite a few owners that have or will move to another product due to this feature alone, and I might consider myself part of that group, as sleep tracking is the main purpose of my Fitbit. 

Robb92x
Keeping Pace

@YvanB

Right of course I'm not suggesting Fitbit somehow integrates "Sleep as Android" into their software. That's purely a smartphone app.

I'm just stating that that particular app had the feature, and fitbit needs to add the feature. The technology is all there for Fitbit. The fact that they added sleep stages Is perfect. Now they just need to create a smart alarm for the tracker that knows to wake you up within , say, a set half hour time time when it senses you are out of the deep sleep phase.

I'm not programmer, but certainly an "if, then" condition should be able to trigger an alarm based off of your sleep stages information.

pivica
First Steps

+1 on this feature request - this is the only thing i am missing to consider my charge 2 to be awesome product. Any idea when this will be added to roadmap?

Easterly81
First Steps

I'm done waiting I just bought a different device

Hoshiman
Stepping Up

When i slept enough (REM, Deep) i want to be woken up by an alarm. A nice feature would be to configure your fitbit to wake you up when you reached lets say 1.5 hours deep sleep and 2 hours REM. Fitbit observes how much time  you spent in which phase and can therefore wake you up when you slept enough. I don't want to sleep until noon but also don't want to set my alarm to 7am. On the weekend i just want to wake up when i slept enough and my fitbit can wake me up exactly then.

benab
Jogger

Every time I go to bed I need to set the timer and do all count (something like: now is 3.14AM + 7.30h = set the alarm at 10.44AM)... but we have a "smart" device, why do we need to get mad? Smiley Very Happy

I think that devs also appreciate public API for sleep and HR tracking (continuous) and all of us could use Sleep as Android or similar apps! 

With a feature like this, surely all FitBit community will appreciate.

Seferan
First Steps

Yes.  Microsoft Band 2 did this perfectly.  It would allow a sleep alarm to go off as much as 30 minutes before scheduled to "gently" wake you up.  That feature alone made the Band 2 worthwhile, even if you weren't going to use any of the fitness features.  Please implement in Blaze!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.