Smart Wake up alarm for trackers

I was excited to learn that after several years of us begging Fitbit has finally listened and Versa 2 will have some version of Smart Alarm that basically lets you set a latest wakeup time and then monitors your sleep for the 30 minutes leading up to that time and attempts to wake you up in the best stage for a happy wakeup.

I understand this feature will not AT THIS TIME be ported to other (older) devices, and I'm fine with that.  I'm even fine with the InspireHR I just bought a week ago never having the feature if you can't/won't implement it.

However I'd like to make dual suggestions:

1.  that you work to implement this eventually on all your trackers that can track sleep... because you have customers such as myself who would NEVER wear a Versa2, Apple Watch or other "smartwatch" and who might not be on board with spending $200 for a Versa2 just to use it at night as an alarm clock.

2. that you implement it to some degree ON PHONE.  This might help solve the processing power issue you might have that might explain why Versa2 has it vs. InspireHR and it would also solve another problem... the fact that unfortunately since the Flex the vibration alarm on every Fitbit I've tried (flex 2, alta, charge 2, altahr, inspirehr) has been horribly underpowered and absolutely unable to wake anyone up.

It shouldn't be a terrible stretch given that we can set the tracker for continuous update... to have a smart alarm feature where if I say "wake me up by 7am" the app starts making calls to my fitbit starting at 6:30, getting motion/HR readings and doing some processing ON THE APP on the PHONE to determine when is a good time to wake me.    Then when it decides it's time to wake up, the app should be able to do whatever I ask... for isntance "vibrate the silent alarm on the fitbit first... then vibrate the phone... then if that doesn't work play an alarm on the phone"

Thanks for your consideration.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

25 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Whitemiata! Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

We can see that you have shared two ideas here but we ask that you only post one idea per Feature Suggestion. That way we can keep these boards organized and searchable, in addition to clearly understanding which idea other members are voting for. We have chosen one idea and retitled and labelled your idea accordingly.

Please repost your other ideas as individual Feature Suggestions by clicking "Add New Suggestion"

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This feature will only be possible with trackers running the Fit it OS.. The older trackers do not actually live track sleep but the server calculates sleep after the first sync after waking up. 

asiayeah
Pace Setter

Please include it for Charge 3. If the old Pebble watch can support it, I wonder why Charge 3 cannot. Thanks. 

OanaB
Jogger

I would love a smart alarm on Charge 3; I have noticed that traditional alarms were a good way of waking up (tired or refreshed), no one was complaining about the way they worked.

Once I was able to check and track so much information about my sleep and activiry on the fitbit app, seeing that my alarm goes off while I am in deep sleep/REM (most of the times) it becomes frustrating, it makes me feel tired as it have a lot of influence on the way I feel (it works both ways). 
It seems like an easy feature with a lot

of impact on someone’s well-being. 

Pascallls
First Steps

Sometimes you wake up after enough sleep but are just tired in the morning. I saw that this could be caused by waking up in the wrong phase... So however I work in the office and I've got flexible workschedules so it doesnt matter if I'm in the office at 08.00am or 08.30am. If we could activate smart alarm who decides at which point in sleep it wakes you up that would be nice. There could be like a 20-30 minute span (or customable) after the alarm (or before). Or just go with a alarm window like in between 07.00am-08.00am 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Pascallls! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

inQuis
First Steps

I really would love to see this feature on my Inspire HR, even if it's just my phone ringing the alarm. In fact I bought my Inspire HR for this purpose; it never occurred  to me that this feature wouldn't come standard with a sleep tracking device (partly because I've had a cheap sleep tracking watch with this functionality for over 18 years). I know they don't advertise it as such and I was naive to assume this feature would come standard...

asiayeah
Pace Setter

It has been several months since this feature was released on Versa 2. If fitbit wants to implement this on older devices, it should be ready by now. So the chance is getting slimmer each day...

Catscherl
First Steps

Please implement this feature for the trackers! I just bought an inspire hr thinking it would have this feature. i really like it, but missing the smart alarm or being forced to pay double the price for a bigger model i dont otherwise want makes me think about just returning it and looking somewhere else. at least confirm if it will be available in the near future. thanks!

Yurai
First Steps

Please implement this for the charge 3. I had a similar app on my phone ages ago, and the value of waking up during light sleep stages just can't be overstated.

asiayeah
Pace Setter

Charge 4 is coming soon. It's likely it will have this feature. Will Charge 3 be forgotten?

kris88100
Stepping Up

The new Charge 4 has been revealed a couple days ago. Is it possible to add Smart Alarm feature? I'm tempted to order it for a family member as it's really good on Versa 2. It seems like both Charge 4 and Versa 2 have the same sensors. 

Status changed to: New
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @kris88100 Smart Wake will be released on Charge 4 - coming soon!

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Whitemiata this is currently planned for release on trackers such as the Inspire and Charge 3 and 4 later this year. 

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

Moe12345
Jogger

Inspire HR is a great smart watch and has a sleep tracking feature. However, it misses smart wake up alarm using the sleep tracking feature, so the alarm will start during the light sleeping cycle before wake up time. This will make it more useful since I already sleep with it to track sleeping activities.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@Moe12345. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about adding the SmartWake function to the rest of our trackers. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. The status of this request has been updated as "Under Consideration", so don't forget to add your vote to show your support! To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Nosspf
Recovery Runner

Yes! This would be so awesome. I actually wanted to post this. It's great to see that Fitbit is working on it.

I hope it also will be availible for the Fitbit Ionic.

jsoms
First Steps

This is a great idea, please add this feature to the Inspire HR. 🙂

SmolSnail
First Steps

I agree this would be a great addition to the Fitbit HR! A smart alarm clock is a feature I've been wanting to try out for a long time, especially one that could be paired with a "sunrise" alarm clock. Thank you for considering this suggestion! 

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released with Charge 4. You can find more details here. Smart Wake will roll out completely to all Charge 4 users later this year.

@Whitemiata, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

asiayeah
Pace Setter

Great. When can I try this feature on my Charge3, @YojanaFitbit ?

marleynyc
First Steps

This would be a great feature for the Inspire HR!

asiayeah
Pace Setter

@marleynyc They have already marked this as "Released" and Inspire HR is being left out. Maybe Inspire HR 2. 

JRoss234
First Steps

Has there been any news on an update for the Inspire HR fitbit?

Like many others, I am keen to get this feature for my fitbit. I just bought my tracker back in May and likewise was surprised this feature was absent on this tracker. I'm not going to go buy another one just for this feature since I've only had it for 6 months so far. I plan on having this fitbit for 2-3 years so I'm not very happy I have to wait that long to get a different model for such a simple but highly useful feature. I understand not having the latest feature like the O2 sensor, but this should be relatively basic to implement, right?

Patiently waiting....and eternally hopeful

Kiernla
Base Runner

Inspire 2 user here. Please add it for us too; it's not been released on this tracker.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.