Stream music during Premium audio workouts

Please allow us to stream music while playing a guided walk or run with a premium subscription. When I play audio coaching, it stops the workout if I try to pull up music or a podcast from an outside app.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and updated label
43 Comments
Hjvernon
First Steps

Sooo, a year later and still not addressed, FitBit?

Jdbax
First Steps

As others have said, this is a total dealbreaker. I was doing a run workout today and the coach was even saying things like “tune out and listen to your music”, “music is your coach” etc. when we can’t even listen to music whilst playing a workout! I can’t consider paying for premium in the long term as playing music is far more important to me, and I’m sure many others, than a guided workout would ever be. Please allow us to listen to music streaming services in tandem with workouts!

Bradl316
Jogger

2 years this thread has been going and Fitbit still haven’t done anything about it, you’d think that since Google took over Fitbit they’d up their game a bit but sadly this doesn’t seem the case. I think I’ll let this subscription run its course and go over to Apple

Bradl316
Jogger
Allow users to stream/listen to own music/playlists in guided video/audio workouts as opposed to just listening to a coach with silence in between each instruction
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Bradl316, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to play your own music during Premium workouts with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Naomi63
Recovery Runner

I asked and was refused to cancel a get a refund of my premium subscription as soon as I discovered this issue. This used to work  when I had premium previously. This should be challenged as it seriously downgrades the premium coaching experience. 

elraulo
Recovery Runner

This is great, two years and counting and not even a clue on anything being done about this. You would think this would be a first priority in backlog since it’s a very very very… very basic functionally when one is exercising. 

rufflesGomita
First Steps

The lack of such a basic feature is why I'm considering canceling my premium subscription. This feature should be in the product by default.

Fitbit, please change this. 

Slowtim
First Steps

I am on a trail and will not even consider paying for a subscription if this doesn't change.

2 years for something very simple to do is not a good look. And doing it will keep people on Premium, all upside, no downside.

Febbaby224
First Steps

Same. I tried an audio workout that had only the coach speaking, no music at all. Can you at least add music if i cant stream spotify in the background. Long breaks of total silence are a no ho gor me. 

FanEm
First Steps

Have just been chatting with support about this. Used to be able to stream music alongside workouts so was trying to troubleshoot it to get it working again. Have been told to update app, restart phone etc etc. However, it looks like there is nothing I'll be able to do to get it going! This is a shame. And I'm disappointed to see that Fitbit have been sat on this quite fundamental suggestion for so long. Especially as it was working previously. Silent background coaching sessions aren't really my thing. Sounds like they aren't really anyone's!

ruthiepg
Base Runner

I was streaming music on Spotify, and I really loved doing the workouts on the treadmill with music. Somewhere in the last few months (not sure exactly when because I had a running injury that sidelined me for a while) this stopped working. I have been able to get music to play using a different music player, but it really limits what I can listen to. I had really come to enjoy and rely on the Fitbit audio runs, and now it's gone. Obviously, many people would like to have this feature. Fix it!

AmyLouie
Jogger
Up until very recently, I could play my own music while using exercises on Fitbit, like coach assisted runs. I used this ALL THE TIME. Please bring this feature back. Fitbit changed a feature that allowed personal music to be played along side Fitbit workouts. I want that feature back.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @AmyLouie, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to play your own music during the Premium audio workouts with us. Because this product feedback was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Dwayne73
Base Runner

We need music added to the coach workouts- they are getting almost impossible to do without music. Two years later and no one is listening to customer demand on this? Why can't we just get the music added? 

Hjvernon
First Steps

Well, fitbit, you did it….in that you did nothing. You don’t seem to listen to customer feedback, whether it was on this issue-specific post or the general redesign of the entire app. I have put it off long enough. After about 3 years, I canceled my premium subscription today. 

jlaureano0615
Stepping Up

It's almost impossible to believe that this is not a function in Fitbit.  Puzzling thing is, it used to be.  I had been using my Versa 3, listening to music and playing workouts for years until probably this past summer (Jun/July 2023).  Then one day it just stopped working.  What could be the reasoning behind it?  

Additionally, the workouts don't have any music underneath them, at least the ones I am listening too.  I suppose I could understand if google/fitbit wanted users to only listen to licensed, 3rd party music that is recorded into the workouts.  But nope, just silence under the coach narration. Very strange.

I mean, listening to music is fundamental to exercising.  Almost as fundamental as movement.  Even Fitbit highlights the importance of listening to music while you exercise. 

https://blog.fitbit.com/workout-playlist/#:~:text=Since%20most%20people's%20hearts%20beat,better%20r....

Anyway, very strange choice.  Something to think about as my subscription for Fitbit Premium renews in a couple weeks.

jlaureano0615
Stepping Up

So...after doing some Google-fu on this topic, I found solutions.  There are third party apps that give you the ability to stream audio from two different apps.  I'm hesitant to give any specifics in fear of the fitbit app developers shutting it down with the next update.  Seek and you will find.  I was able to play music under my fitbit workout for the first time in months and boy, was it refreshing!  Good luck!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.