Support Linux

PLEASE!!! We have been asking since day one that we can sync our devices through our linux systems. I can't even get my son's flex to follow our jury rigged path that synces my ultra. I'm very worried what will happen when my ultra breaks and I have to get a One...Smiley Frustrated

Moderator edit: Added labels 

81 Comments
LLaszlo
Recovery Runner
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

You've got my vote on this great idea. In the mean time, you might check out this article for some possibly sync methods under Linux.

Craig
Distance Runner

I know @Christine_B  has probably gotten wornout on hearing this. But please please on my knees begging get to where linux is usable with the fitbit. Team has been saying they are looking at it since I know at least June of 2010  and I would and could gladly dispose of Windows and everything windows related if thos one last product would work with linux. I have ubuntu on a test machine and love it but I am not really into swapping from machine to machine and tired of buying MS products. Bad thing is I used to be MCSE certified and I still dont like them.

Thanks

Craig

meg1038
Jogger

(edited)

I got my fitbit to work under linux / galileo. Had to log into windows to sync it the first time, though. Now it works great.

I really would appreciate some linux support from fitbit. It seems a poor decision to take what is really a cool tech device, and not make it accessible to some of the most tech-saavy people out there. (Hopefully that seems less confrontational than my last post)

LinuxVeteran
First Steps

Oh, come on.  Developing for Linux is easier than Windoze and Windoze phones, which you managed to do.  Linux is similar to Mac, and you managed that.

So stop making excuses.  Enthusiastic workarounds from users are fragile and unacceptable.  Until you support Linux, my family and I will never be using or recommending Fitbit products. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for posting this suggestion! We're always working to expand our supported systems. 

McBoffin
Jogger

"Thanks for posting this suggestion! We're always working to expand our supported systems."

Please work a bit harder 😉

As LinuxVeteran says, if you can do mac, you can do linux.

Tortugatorben
First Steps

I'm going to quote myself below, but I run Ubuntu (and OS based on the Linux kernel) and would have bought a Fitbit Surge today if my OS was supported. The post below is from a similar thread on the Chromebook, which should be linked with this one, since the Google's Chromebook uses the Linux kernel in its OS as well.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Sync-using-Chromebook/idi-p/150471

Basically, by ignoring compatibility with Linux users, you are alienating an estimated 74 million possible customers. I understand development is a business decision, but with more hand-held devices, tablets, and computer coming out with Linux-based OS, it seems crazy not to dive into that pool of possible customers.

"Chromebook uses the Chrome OS based on the Linux kernel.  While I don't use a chromebook, I myself, along with roughly 74 million others, use a OS based on the Linux kernel. That's a statistical estimate based on data from http://linuxcounter.net/main.html

Here is my information:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0

You can see that I use a version of Linux called Ubuntu with Firefox. I have bluetooth and much more capability, as I'm sure the Chromebook does. I would have bought the Fitbit Surge today if I knew it would work with my OS. Seeing the popularity of Google and Chromebook, I can only imagine the number of people using an OS based on the Linux kernel will increase exponentially. We would all appreciate it if you would consider making all Fitbit products compatable with our OS. Thanks!"

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

As an old Linux OS (Ubuntu) user and a Flex user, I ask you too for Linux support. Yes, Galileo is working but we need official support. Google, Dropbox etc have support for Linux OS.

f512dmx
Recovery Runner

LinuX OS please.

danp2630
Recovery Runner
Are there any plans to make fitbit work with Linux systems? I run Ubuntu on my laptop so I have to sync with my phone all the time.
Michael
5K Racer

@danp2630 While not a Fitbit provided solution, there is Galileo that allows you to sync your Fitbits on a Linux system. (I haven't personally used it, but I have seen a number of people that say it works just fine.)

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yep would love this, would love to plug my dongle into my linux NAS which is always on.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have a Fitbit Flex and would love to be able to sync with my Ubuntu 14.04 computer. Never have been able to get galileo to work. Time for Fitbit to recognize Linux users.

chernwernpao
Recovery Runner

Fitbit make an excellent product, I'm currently using Surge and Aria. If fitbit can port software to Android, surely a Linux port can be made available. I'm one of the many who has had no success with Galileo. 3.5 stars for now as I dual boot Windows and Linux (Mint). Build native Linux support and you've got five stars and recommendations to my peers.

DvorakUser
First Steps

Another request here for Linux support (or at least having someone work with the WINE team to get it working through there). This is one of just a handful of apps that is keeping me from switching over to Linux completely, and knowing that Fitbit devices will work correctly in Linux would help make the transition easier.

As has been mentioned before, with Mac OSX benig a BSD-based OS, there's not much work that would need to be done to make a port of Fitbit Connect from there to Linux.

linuxguy
First Steps

What kind of lame company doesn't support Linux at this point.  EVEN MICROSOFT DOES.

PaulaTaylor
Recovery Runner

I use Linux Centos and am unable to sync my ChargeHR. Linux (i.e. open source) is a rapidly expanding area. FitBit should support it. It is far easier to develop with Linux than it is Microsoft Windows and Mac, so come on FitBit, please get on and develop. Linux users do not want to be discrimated against.

trainer
Premium User
Hill Runner

Here is an update to my original post. I have had an Ultra since 12/2011, no linux support and a hacked together work around that 'mostly' works (Ultra still going strong so there is still a HUGE need for linux support!!). Now I have a chargeHR and S T I L L no linux support (seriously?) so I do nothing directly on the computer regarding fitbit and my HR (I thought we lived in the 21st century...My android tablet can interact with my fitbit better than my linux machine). As someone said above, I no longer recommend fitbit to my clients. So, fitbit, you told me YEARS ago that you were glad I gave you the suggestion, are you actually going to act on that suggestion?

hujraad
Stepping Up

@alileo s not a solution unles it get adopted. Linux users should have feature parity with other OSes. There are 3 major desktop OSes, not 2, Fitbit. Telling me to join a forum and vote is just a dismal way to placate those who use it to to prevent them from not talking about it in public. Especially on a social media forum populated by Linux users.

Not to develop for GNU/Linux means you have made a conscious request to go aftermarkets, not support your users.  You are now the leader in market share. You can afford to put some capital into supporting the GNU/Linux platform and extend this market share. Especially since you are ALREADY supporting android.

You have resources to develop due to low overhead costs. You already have a core set of features for the other platforms. Not having feature parity on linux and requiring Linux users to use the Galileo hack and STILL not have feature parity is NOT a solution.

ITChad
First Steps

To the developer:

I know that Fitbit is a commercial entity, you don't have support on Linux. As a Linux user, may I request that you should support and develop an application on the said platform.

Thanks!

uden
Jogger

and another vote for linux support !!! I hope it will be available soon.

TorontoDean
First Steps

Another vote for Linux, as I don't run windows or MacOS at all any more.  Looking to buy a Charge 2 when I see the software.

RBR
Jogger

My 3 kids and husband have Linux laptops.   As I research how to sync my daughter's new Alta, i'm not finding any good solutions for her.   Seems like the Gallileo code doesn't work for the newer fitbits and I don't see anything on PlayOnLinux.   I'll try digging through the WINE messages, but they mostly seemed to be pre-Gallileo.   So far, I'm having to log out of my account, and log her in to synch her on my phone.   That is really annoying me as a long-time fitbit user...

dowdle
First Steps

Just got a Charge 2 for Xmas and would really like to use it in Linux.  I'm one of those few left that do not have a mobile device and I don't want to use Windows.  I set it up initially on my wife's iPhone but would prefer not to continue to co-opt her phone.  I'll give galileo a try.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.