Sync Clock and Alarm using Bluetooth only - no need for Internet

I notice that you need to have an internet connection and bluetooth in order to be able to change the time or enable or disable an alarm.

Very annoying especially if you travel a lot and want to change the time in an airplane (where Internet is not available or costs and arm and a leg!). I need this function as I normally adjust the time in the plane to match my destination time in order to eat, sleep and drink in the destination time zone and reduce jetlag as much as possible. (I know I could make the time change before I get in the plane...but most of the time I forget 😞

Simple change with big effect 😉

Please include in the next update.

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Added labels.

89 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Both of your requests are duplicates, asearch is great and suggested above. 

Set time and alarm without internet

Set time and alarm right on the Blaze.

JRandorff
Recovery Runner
Thank you both. I did run a search for "Alarm" before posting this, but came up with a ton of posts that had nothing to do with how to set the alarm without a data connection (most posts were complaining about alarms not going off, or alarms going off at random times)

It seems like this has been a problem on several Fitbit devices for over a year. We are also now three months gone by since the last Blaze firmware update.
Adityarao
First Steps
At least allow users to set silent alarms without having access to the internet
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That be wonderful @Adityarao

The suggestion has been made previously here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Allow-Offline-syncing-Store-data-locally/idi-p/8224...

Feel free to add your vote / comment.

NicolaA
First Steps

My husband would really love this feature. He's in the military and often that means there are changing time zones regularly without access to internet so the fitbit becomes practically useless as a watch which results in him not wearing it the majority of the time.

WShimet
First Steps
YES. I travel the world and this would be a GREAT feature.

Sent from Wayne Shimet
SnakeyNorway
Jogger
When using the blaze and other fitbit clocks, it's only usable as long as you have internet conection on your phone.
If you dont have internet on your phone, it's just as useful as any analoge clock from the other century.

I know alot of people that use fitbit, or have had fitbit and changed to pulsar and other brands. Just because of the fitbit and its need to be connected to www to work properly.

As a hunter, I often is out in the forrest where the nearest internet conection is about 1 hour drive away. And I often stay of the net for a week a time.

My suggestion is:
- Make alarms possible to change without internet conection. Just as countdown. Should be unessasary to be conected to www to set a morning alarm.
- Make the app on phone be able to buffer up and save data from heartbeat, sleeplog, step log and so on, for a week or two at least without internet conection beeing nessasary each day.
Adityarao
First Steps
I really fail to understand why Fitbit doesn't pay heed to its customers in spite of boasting about how they accept feature requests. And requiring an Internet connection for merely setting an alarm is ridiculous and an inconvenience. And many people here whose profession drives them to being away from the Internet have to shell out cash for mobile data for something that could easily be done without the internet.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend
I'm not sure how this whole thing works, so it might not be as easy as everyone assumes.
greaseswabber
First Steps
I returned my Fitbit and bought a withings activite pop. It is able to
update alarms from an app using only Bluetooth. So it's not impossible.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend
Without wing how Withings works I'm unable to comment, you might be comparing apples to oranges, yes they can do it, that doesn't mean iris a straight forward easy peasy feature for Fitbit to implement.
greaseswabber
First Steps
Both devices use the same tech to sync. Low energy Bluetooth. The
difference is that withings' app can store the data locally. Fitbit's does
not. The problem is not the hardware, it's the software.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Isn't that what I stated? I know they both use BTLE but this is his a path, it's what happens to the data after the sync. Fitbit would not have to store the data locally, just the settings. 

StumpyPaj
Jogger

Please separate the alarm sync from data sync in phone to device.
As i travel often and use my alarm to wakeup there is no guarantee of internet access for the phone client.
What it means is i can't adjust the configuration once i know what my workday needs

There is a version of this already, vote there as it has 70+ votes already

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Sync-Clock-and-Alarm-using-Bluetooth-only-no-nee...

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I suggest adding your vote to this existing request, which has over 700 votes. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Setting and adjusting alarms directly on the Blaze would be very helpful!

Demoneque
First Steps

I am disappointed that I cannot change the time and alarms on my Fitbit Surge without having an internet connection.  I am also disappointed that I cannot store my data locally on my phone and then sync it later.

I am in the Navy and serve on submarines.  I am without an internet connection for several months at a time and change timezones frequently.  Not being able to make basic changes such as time/alarms on a watch is unacceptable.  I recommend a firmware change that allows you to set the time/alarm directly on the device as you did with adding a stopwatch.

Since I go so long without having an internet connection, I dislike that I lose large amounts of historical data over the course of a submarine patrol since I cannot store my data locally.

These changes would make a big difference in the quality of the product and would convince me to continue buying Fitbit products.

WShimet
First Steps
How many people have to complain about this issue before fit it fixes it?

Sent from Wayne Shimet
vbcanuck
First Steps

I ran into the same problem while cruising.  My Surge was wrong more than it was right while we were on this ship.  If I didn't have international data, it would have been wrong almost the entire time.  Very inconvenient and frustrating.

jonno-
First Steps

when hiking u often dont have cell / internet access so the mobile app wont sync

hiwever you sometimes need to set an alarm ot change the time

at present this cant be done as the monile app foesnt allow offline sync

please add this

StumpyPaj
Jogger

unfortunately no update from fitbit probably means the end of my use and switch to an alternate product. I am about to head offline for three weeks and need flexibility of alarms, data saync etc as daya to day I will need to change my settings and cannot guarantee internet coverage. Seems a pity but I can't control feature updates

sgcaliboy
First Steps

I am a flight crew, and one of the main reason for me to buy this Charge 2 is that I thought I could set silent alarm in the plane when I am resting. However, it is very disappointing to know that I need internet connection to set an alarm, and which has limited its practicability. I am looking forward to seeing some updates on this issue.

staniere
Jogger

it is a shame to be unable to sync without network (which is quite often for me because of bad 3g reception or because my 50Mo data have already been used for a month)

Andrius77
Jogger

Camping and hiking season is coming up and I just realized how useless my Charge HR is without internet connection! I'm going to return this piece of sh*t!!!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.