Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
idiotzoo
First Steps

Which is all fine until the Fitbit sync breaks, as it did for a few days last week.

michelle_md
First Steps

I have a Fitbit Charge HR and have recently started riding a bike to school and work. It's very frustrating and annoying that I spent all this money on an activity tracker only to realize it is basically a fancy step counter. It seems like such an easy thing to track considering most activity apps have this feature. It would be greatly appreciated and it sounds like widely used if at least biking was added to the list of activities to be tracked  🙂

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Are you guys having a discussion amoung your selfs, or are you trying present your case for mpbile trac to track riund

ndfootballfan
First Steps

I ride more then I run or hike, please fix this ASAP. Need GPS for better accurate reading. 

powdah
Base Runner

So many third party apps are so much more functional than the Fitbit app.  That and Fitbit is not accessible by other apps to receive direct information.  For example, with my previous wrist tracker (Mieo) I could use Mee Run to provide me data (ie - heart rate in through BT every 30 secs.)  I cannot find any app that can access Fitbit to provide the info I want.

If the Charger HR had not been a gift from my wife, I would return it.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

There are plenty of apps that can access your Fitbiy data, and Strava is able to receive your heart rate durring an exercise.

But yoir correct, no app is able to talk directly with your tracker except for Fitbit.

Shellster42873
First Steps

Please track Outdoor Bicycling. I'm using Flex 2.

Marije
Jogger

Totally agree. He does not recognize automatically when you bike. Netherlands is still a bicycle country! Very important. At least add to gps tracking.

Dutch support staff also very pleasant.

Skays
First Steps

Flex 2. Counts steps while it auto detects that I'm swimming or cycling outdoors. Ridiculous!  I want to track my bike rides with accurate distance and calories, please. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Seems like the thread on the cycling tracker stopped. I ride my bike everyday and would like to be able to track my bike ride, just like my runs, and walks on the fitbit app. It would be great if I can see my splits and how many miles I have ridden and also be able to see the map. Your consideration is much appreciated. Thanks.

sprudnikaw
First Steps

Please add cycling!

marc.blackman
First Steps

Got the new Charge 2 and was puzzled why I couldn't find an option in the app to track cycling, as I want the audio cues. Was then amazed and very disappointed to see that this feature was asked for in 2015 (!) and has yet to be implemented. Really Fitbit?? How hard can it be??

tob8843
First Steps

seems odd to have it for walking and running but not for cycling 

LindsayBy
Recovery Runner

They really need to add cycling as a tracking activity - I like to use fitbit to log heart rate an then sync that activity data back to strava with the appropriate HR for each segment. As I can only add activities of Run, Hike or walk (Charge HR) on my IOS phone - when the info hits Strava I need to manually change the activity in Strava. It also means that any information displayed on my phone during the activity is next to useless - dont really care about avg pace on my bike - do care about speed / distance / and heart rate. With these changes Fibit could be a useful tool - without them / Junk.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This request is not about tracking with the Alta HR but it is about tracking with the Fitbiy app.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Would just be nice if it would not count steps when cycling. I get about 2500 steps riding about 28km on a bike path.

Ethnic
First Steps

Hi LizFitbit, nice to hear that yderst finally got through to you all 😊 I Will be looking forward to your next update in the progress. Br Susan

LovelyLaCole
Jogger

@Rich_Laue Yes it is about the app, but there are other Fitbits where you can add this setting in the app. It does not apply to the Alta HR at this moment.

Trek-Rider
First Steps

Would it not be possible to simply add biking as one of the options for tracking while GPS logging manually like walking, running, and hiking?  Seems to be fairly simple to add that as an option for those of us that use that exercise type.

Wuselmouse
Jogger

Please add outdoors cycling and/or if possible an option to record other activities via heart rate monitor. I cycle a lot uphill but the GPS is automatically off, so distance is not recorded. Heart rate is not recorded either during cycling.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

If your asking about recording cycling in the Charge 2, this has always been an option

DressageDiva
Jogger

It would be lovely to have horseback riding!!! I bought Fitbit to track my trainings (i red before that it can track riding) i was so disappointed that i have to add my workouts manually..... 😞

nosfeCR
First Steps

Add cycling! I dont see any tech reason for not doing that

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add biking to the existing walk/run/hike options for GPS tracking while exercising using Mobilerun.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.