Track Exercise - Heart Rate Monitor Automatically ON!

Option to have the HR monitor turned to "ON" for the duration that one is tracking exercise. This way, you know your fitbit Charge HR / Surge is trying it's best to grab the best HR data that it can for the duration of the exercise.

Reasoning:

During the day I have my heart rate monitor off on the Fitbit Charge HR because I don't much care what my heart rate is while I'm sitting at my desk typing out this message, Fitbit doesn't quite do anything for me with my HR data during the day, and having it off saves battery.

When I want to log an activity, I obviously want the HR monitor to be on. For this I would need my phone, sync my fitbit, and then go for my activity. What if I forget to do this before I go to the gym? Forget my phone at home the day I want to go work out from the office? And the scenarios continue.

All those scenarios could be solved in what seems like simple software update with a couple of if statements in the programming when the button is pressed to log an activity.

Please consider for urgent update!

Moderator edit: Labels

39 Comments
MattSando_
Recovery Runner

I have turned heart-rate monitoring off because I want to conserve battery.

I would love to be able to turn HR on by simply entering the timer mode (by pressing and holding the button). This would allow me to view my HR throughout my workout and see the detailed step analysis.

However, when I work-out I turn HR on because that is when I want to know how many calories I have burnt and what my HR was throughout my workout.

bradw1
Jogger

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Countdown-Mode-for-Charge-HR/idi-p/636323

I think that could fall in with my suggestion. Really just an option in the app to choose long press functionality

Tucker-two
Base Runner

Think battery life could be lengthened with option to just turn on heart rate monitor when you wanted to check h/r. Not necessary to run all the time. In other words an option to just view heart rate at will. You would have auto, at will, on & off. Think the "at will" option would help save the battery and allow everyone the option just to view h/r from time to time. As I understand it (auto) and (on) options run all the time using up battery life.

In other words prior to a work out you could turn on h/r from the watch or it not in a workout and you wanted a quick h/r check you could obtain h/r from watch without computer hook up to change a choice if you selected the (at will) option.

Tuckertwo 

wahoowad
Jogger

Agreed.

I do not use all the 24x7 logged information. I only use my Charge HR for specific activities and I push the button to stop / start the logging.

Mary400
Recovery Runner

Need some way to turn Heart rate on and off on tracker.  I don't always carry phone. If I am outside and I decide to take a run, I don't want to come into my computer to turn heart rate monitor on and off. If battery had longer life I wouldn't be so concerned about the heart rate monitor being on or off, but my battery is lucky to last four days; not through the work week.

micheleannegor
First Steps

Would love to have heart rate stay on during excercise class so I do not have to constantly press button and cursor through.

RobRastelli
Stepping Up

I agree, when I push the button on my FitBit to start tracking an Exercise, turn on the HR monitor, when the exercise is over turn it off.

Jokkwang
Jogger

Hi. The scenario is such that I am already on GPS bike mode and FORGOT to activate the heart-rate feature (within SETTINGS). There is no way I can get to that feature without stopping the bike mode, getting in SETTINGS..etc. 

Ordinarily I do not use the heart-rate feature unless exercising.  

Muckgeist
First Steps
I have a Charge HR and need to be able to see heart rate at a glance, without tapping or pressing buttons. I would very much like to see either an always-on HR display option, or an option that would constantly display HR when above a certain threshold. This second option would allow for a blank display when resting, but an at-a-glance feature while exercising.

I'll be returning my current Charge HR, but will definitely buy another if this feature is ever implemented.
MRB83
Jogger

I agree.  That was the first thing I planned with the at-a-glance feature.  Tapping works, but not ideal when running.

Muckgeist
First Steps
And when biking, especially mountain biking, it's rather unrealistic.
btr1974
First Steps
I agree, this feature would be fantastic. It's annoying having to sync to change this one setting and most times I forget. Please add it to an already great product
aimhigh1970
First Steps

Hi, that's exactly I was looking for this morning. very good point.

Just wondering if you guys have any idea when it would be done.

Thanks,

andrecarlucci
First Steps

I really would like to have this!

airballoon
Recovery Runner

I really need this function!

Wholeheartedly agree! Charge HR.  Engaging Track Exercise mode should turn on HR monitoring automatically, and viceversa. If you do not have internet access - e.g. while hiking in the woods for a few days - you want to turn the HR off to save battery when you are not exercising/hiking, and turn it on otherwise. No internet, no chance to do this. Incidentally, why does one need internet connection on the phone to change the HR mode? Bluetooth should be enough. 

Sayab
First Steps

This is would be a great feature as well as easy to implement in the next firmware update. Please Fitbit team this could be a great deal for us and new customers.

Korte
First Steps

Please add this feature. Heart Rate monitoring was the only reason I purchased the Fitbit Charge HR. For health reasons I need to keep my heart rate under a certain number whilst exercising. I therefore need to constantly check my HR to stay within safe limits.

DrayerZ
First Steps

I also desparately need this feature. Please add the option to have the heart rate tracking off, but activates when manually activating an exercise session. Thank you.

zvjer
Base Runner

Why is this idea marked as "new idea"? It's not new, it's nine months old! Please implement this ASAP.

lilbrudder
First Steps

We really want this function!!! Please implement it ASAP.

Competitors like the MIO already have this function!!!

Just do it..! It only makes sense. This function should have been implemented when you launched Charge HR. Whoever missed it, has never wore a HR monitor.

Miguel
StephenB1978
Recovery Runner

This is a must as I like having the heart rate (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it) for bike rides but I do not want it on 24/7 that is just scary. That is definitely not healthy for anyone in the long run.

This is long overdue. Should have been since the beginning. FitBit is really very slow to react. Very disappoinging.

munsabin
Recovery Runner

@miguelacastano@StephenB1978@lilbrudder@andrecarlucci... I sometimes wonder if they have any logical people working at Fitbit? I've gone to twitter as well and all they say is ... "the top ideas will be reviewed" or the likes of it. So what they're saying is they'll take any idea that may not improve functionality of a fitbit at all and just go forward with it.

So in their opinion, having the clock displayed in 4 different ways is more important than the functionality of properly and automatically tracking your exercise.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.