Triathlon And Biathlon

Can you add a triathlon mode to the Fitbit ionic. This water proof tracker (ionic) would be great for it because while doing a triathlon, I do not want to switch to a different mode each time.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

49 Comments
mlindgren
Runner

This would be a big selling point for a lot of athletes. Garmin devices can do this - there's no reason the Ionic shouldn't be able to.

chriskaczmar
Jogger

An idea for an elite level fitness tracker such as the IONIC to consider is to accommodate a TRIATHLON function for race day.

1. Toggle to a new screen where you can hit start once when your swim starts and you are tracking in SWIM mode.
  2. a split time at start of transition 1
  3. a split at end of transition 1 that switches the data collection and watch tracking function to BIKE mode
  4. a split time at end of bike concluding the bike function for start of transition 2
  5. a split at end of transition 2 that switches the data collection and watch tracking function into RUN mode
  6. then of course you finish your race..and the data is compiled/recorded into the 3 phases of the Triathlon race giving you the different paces/average speeds, etc. for each discipline.

evicens
First Steps

Strongly agree with this. I will be doing the Chicago tri in August 2018 and would love to be able to track my race with my new fitbit ionic

khaenszel
First Steps

This was a big disappointment when I got my Ionic, that it doesn't have a triathlon mode.  It seems that the Ionic has all the pieces for triathlon, they just need to be put together.  Please count this as a vote for triathlon mode!  Thanks.    

lowdon
Jogger

Another vote for this!

I'm sure it isn't complicated to put together. Just GPS & timer broken into discrete events would be enough for me 

jomis003
Tempo Runner

What your asking for will consume A LOT of battery and will greatly reduce its retention. This will impact the length of race one can do. Nothing is more frustrating than having your watch die before the end of a race and not get any stats.

What are the most important stats to have?

Time with each split?

Run splits at each mile?

Distance?

Heart Rate?

Elevation?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to see Fitit support triathlon and other multi-sport events. It seems a simple addition to be able to cycle through events, including transition periods. This capability would make the watch viable as a go-to device for triathletes. As it is, I use mine for single-discipline training, but go back to Garmin for any multi-discipline training days, bike data, and racing.

twanderson41480
First Steps

There are a couple requests for this.  For me, this feature is the only reason I have not bought the FitBit ionic.  I will have to buy a Garmin watch instead if this option is not available by the end of May.  I would be willing to pay more for the ability to track all three disciplines on race day.  With Sprint Triathlons becoming very popular, there are many people in the same situation I am in.  

At a high level, we would need to be able to track our swim, then switch to transition 1, then track the time and distance for the bike, then transition 2, then time and distance for the run.   At the end it would be nice to have a result screen that has all of the times displayed in a per stage(5 of them) and the complete time.  There a probably many more features that can be added, but basically that is what is needed.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

lowdon
Jogger

Thanks for following up!

I concur with twanderson. Heart rate would be nice but times for each segment would be enough for me. 

(I'm also doing sprint & super sprint triathlon lengths)

chriskaczmar
Jogger

the battery comment is a good one. it might be worth considering an option that users could choose to turn GPS and/or heart rate actually OFF entirely if you want to just have the timers for the races. that would conserve a ton of battery. i'm training for an ironman and would really appreciate not having to buy a new device. thanks for considering!

jomis003
Tempo Runner

As it turns out, I am a 2X Ironman and Triathlete. I have an app ready to go with no GPS functionality but have not released it because I wanted to build in GPS functionality.  I’ve struggled with it for GPS capability because I was not sure if it was really that important or not.  I will submit the non GPS app for release and still add the GPS option for a later version. Look for it in the next few weeks.  

chriskaczmar
Jogger

great! hey be sure to reply again to this post so that we all get an email notification when it comes out. let us know the name of it too so that we can search for it. good luck wrapping it up! sounds great.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Glad to see some support for this.

I don't think the battery should be an issue -- as it is, depending on what apps you're using, the battery will last 4 days or more. Doing anything with music is a big suck on the battery, but I train daily with mine (swim, bike, run) and I only charge it every couple of days. So GPS doesn't seem to affect battery usage too much.

I race a lot: generally two half-Ironman, two or three Olympic distances, and as many sprints as I can get in. For cycling, I get my power meter data with my Garmin Edge; ideally, it would be great to incorporate that into the Ionic, too, but that's surely asking to much.

For me, the Ionic would be functional for racing with:

Swim: timer, GPS, heart rate
Bike: options of speed, cadence, heart rate, distance, watts

Run: what it has.

And a simple screen-tap to get from one event to the next, including timing and GPS record of transition.

I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know how complicated it would be to include those functions, but they seem pretty compatible with what the Ionic already has. I'm not sure what the hang-up is with OWS data, as other devices have it. I guess linking with a bike comp might be more complicated and result in a bigger device.

Still...so much of this seems to simply be a matter of connecting what it already does. We can always hope!

chriskaczmar
Jogger

COMPLETELY agree, it sure seems like this would be an easy item to coordinate and layer in to what they already have!! Thanks for writing. I hope they are reading these suggestions!

khaenszel
First Steps
That would work fine for me as I'm a newbie and will be sticking to sprint
triathlons. Don't really need GPS for that! Looking forward to the
release, and thanks for developing the app!

Kathy
jomis003
Tempo Runner

Ok everyone -  You asked for it and now it is available in the Ionic app store under Health and Fitness. The app is simply called Triathlon and version 1.0 is simply a timer for each of the legs with a finish screen that will list each of your times with a total race time.

Features mentioned in previous posts are being worked on for later versions, but I wanted to get SOMETHING out for the Tri community.

Please check it out and give me some feedback.

lowdon
Jogger

Amazing! Thanks Jomis003 😄

chriskaczmar
Jogger

I love that you did this!

I am a complete elderly dummy it seems, I have been searching for a while and just cannot seem to find the Ionic App store. I must not have downloaded something correctly or missed an update. I am looking forward to trying this out!

jomis003
Tempo Runner

@chriskaczmar

You can find the app store by going into the Fitbit app and then tapping on the Ionic watch in the upper left of the screen (iOS). Then tap on Apps - Then on All Apps at the top of the screen. Then go to Health and Fitness >> View All  and you can find it there.  

Jdykstra
Jogger

You have all the features already needed for this you just have to connect the dots!  Big audience..  just sayin'

jomis003
Tempo Runner

@Jdykstra

Agreed.  I have many of the features already baking into the next version and the dots are being connected.  This version is to just to get the ball rolling and let people Tri now with a basic feature set.  

khaenszel
First Steps
I had the same problem figuring out how to get the app on my watch. Turns out the App Store is on your phone - I was looking on my computer and couldn’t find it there. If you go to the Fitbit app on your phone, touch the little icon at the top right corner and then your Ionic, it will bring up the App Store. Hope this helps.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Going to use this app for the 1st time “in anger” today on my 1st of 7 triathlons this year. Really looking forward to some more functionality in v2 or an official version from Fitbit. As one of the leading sports trackers their flagship device should really have this function already, I mean it does them all separately so it seems like a no brainer!

jomis003
Tempo Runner

Yay! Please let me know how your Tri goes and how the app performs for you.  I am working on the GPS version of it with a lot more stats but it takes time test all of the moving parts. As a fellow triathlete, I am designing off my experiences but I also take in all of your feedback to try to make it the best possible.  Think of version 1.0 as being “better than nothing”.  Have a great race!!

@Pefet wrote:

Can you add a triathlon mode to the Fitbit ionic. This water proof tracker (ionic) would be great for it because while doing a triathlon, I do not want to switch to a different mode each time.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.