Turn On Background GPS for SmartTrack Workouts

I don't remember to start an activity when I'm just going for a walk. Furthermore, sometimes my walks take hours as I go around visiting places or people.  Would love a way to turn on the option to track GPS when an automatic walk is detected.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

14 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
jamie1430
Walker

For auto recognized activities, it track your route if you are connected to your phone's GPS. I am always forgetting to select the activity when I go for a walk or bike ride since I know it will recognize the activity. I wish it tracked my route though. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jamie1430 thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

Clo111
Recovery Runner

Please could you have an option to turn on the gps mapping with smart track exercise (ie a walk)?  It currently only creates a map when you manually start an exercise. I know some people may be concerned about battery but could we at least be given the option so we can turn it on it off? 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Clo111, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about activating GPS mapping with SmartTrack. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Jsnkc28
Jogger
I would like to be able to have the GPS turn on for selected auto-detected workouts. Its frustrating that the watch can detect when I am doing a workout, but cant also turn the GPS on to record the workout on a map if I want it to.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jsnkc28, thanks for explaining why you would like to have automatic GPS connection when using SmarTrack on your Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Boondon2587
First Steps
For some reason the auto detected workouts don't log using GPS because it only turns on if you manually start a specified workout on the device, but it would be nice if there was a setting that would allow the GPS to turn on if/when an auto detected workout starts and logs.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Boondon2587, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to turn on background GPS for SmartTrack workouts. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

hulaworks
Stepping Up
Using Charge 4, the battery drains quickly when using GPS. When using the exercise function, you have to turn GPS on before starting and then remember to turn it off when you finish. It would be very helpful to have an option to have this done automatically when you start/end an exercise.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @hulaworks, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track GPS automatically when tracking your exercises. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

FUB168
Jogger
As it stands, the Fitbit app will only start tracking the GPS location when manually starting an activity through the exercise app. This seems inconsistent with the app's smart-activity feature, which automatically detects activities and adds them to the log. I want the app to, optionally, automatically start tracking the location.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FUB168, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about turning on GPS when an automatic workout is detected (SmartTrack). This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.