Updating the food Database

In my opinion, the food database is absolutely pathetic! I hate having to log in a custom food every single time I eat something different than I can find. Is there a way for us as users, to update the database for everyone, rather than just for our own use? I feel like the database would expand so much faster if we could all share and then notify Fitbit for a fix if we find an error in someone elses' logged food. I end up having to refer to MyFitnessPal for the nutritional information if I don't have the box/packaging with me. Even on MFP you can decide if you want to log it for your own use or add to the public database. Which is why their database is so much better than FitBits! Very frustrating and it limits the usage greatly. My goal is to get exercise and track my intake/burn. NOT sit on the computer spending 20 minutes logging what I ate for the day and finding all the packaging to add custom foods when necessary.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

27 Comments
lydia
First Steps

The food data base is pretty slim (no pun intended). The interface looks like livestrong's Daily Plate, yet does not have even 1/3 of the foods on there. It would be great if it was updated, anyone else agree?

oldbloke
Premium User
First Steps

Agreed. Also, very branded. Not enough generic foods as far as I can see so far...

JaneB
Recovery Runner

Some of the different apps include a QR reader for quick addition of foods that aren't in the database. You just scan the bar code on the item and all the info (serving size, calories, calories from fat, and various other things) all automatically populate into the food data base so you can reference it again in the future without having to manually add all the bits of info. That makes it really easy and fast to add to a food journal - I'd love to see something like that with this one.

Jim_M
Premium User
Veteran Runner

Many folks use MyFitnessPal to enter their food data (I'm one of them!)..  MFP links to fitbit, so the calorie data is automaticly transfered.  See the "3rd Party Integrations" section of the help forms for more data on how to connect MFP to Fitbit.

Jim_M
Premium User
Veteran Runner

Many folks use MyFitnessPal for food (I do like their DB!), and then have MFP linked to fitbit, so the data is in fitbit, and MFP also has things like label scan, etc.  See the "3rd Party Intergaions" system of the help forums her for info on how to do that.

tturbo
Recovery Runner

@lydia wrote:

The food data base is pretty slim (no pun intended). The interface looks like livestrong's Daily Plate, yet does not have even 1/3 of the foods on there. It would be great if it was updated, anyone else agree?

As mentioned, go to MFP, I just clicked on the Premium Free for seven days so I'll see how well the rest of the info (micronutrients etc.) is transferred over from them to here.

Tybee
Recovery Runner

I would also like to see an updated data base for food.  I use MFP but hate to go into MFP and Fitbit because they do differ on how much to eat.  It would be nice to have everything in one place.  The food data base is the only thing I don't like about Fitbit.

baggleflap
Jogger

I don't eat many processed foods so I have to input foods one item at a time. For example;  I have a smoothie every morning with chia seeds, hemp protein, coconut milk +/or oil, etc, etc. so I google the food (or look on Amazon) and add it to the database. I do soups the same way. A lot of estimating but so far, that's all I can think to do.  Does anyone know if there is a way to add various items and name it "fruit smoothie" or "chicken soup" so I can just click on that from now on?

annie53
Recovery Runner

I find the food database extremely difficult to manage. Depending on what you type you could receive different results.  Also, serving sizes are not specified so one serving could be anything anything. It would be more helpful if they were listed in cups or ounces.  Also, I rely on very few processed foods and often can't find the plain food or have to scroll to the bottom of the list to find how many calories in a mushroom for example or a peice of fruit.

fdaugherty
Premium User
Recovery Runner

The database is only as good as it's users.  I used SparkPeople before and their database is good.  Of course, if you take a couple minutes to add the complete nutritional facts of food that you eat, the database improves for everyone.  Of course, that requires people to be engaged in the process and input complete information.

I make sure I add things that I eat by brands to make sure I have the correct information.  I would be nice to be able to upload based on menu.  Most all restaurants have this information on the web.  I would think it would be fairly easy for Fitbit to capture the that information from the web sites and load it into their database. 

mentalward
Jogger

I don't think the food input process is that bad, and so far I've found the db to be mostly sufficient.  I'm not aiming for perfection; however, and I'm often willing to use close substitutes when specific brands aren't in the list.  I love the food entry process in MFP, but the ads and it's focus on social get in the way (visually) of what's important to me. Fitbit should buy MFP and incorporate its db and tech into Fitbit apps:-)

san27
First Steps

Absolutely agree.....I spend so much time trying to work out calories, I find the data base is full of store bought products excluding alot of staples & fresh produce

Michael
5K Racer

I agree. I'll even give you a hint: Nutritionix offers a database that you can use: https://www.nutritionix.com/api

It even includes UPC codes for lots of products so you can enable the barcode scanning feature so many people request. (And given your app is free I'm not sure how much it would cost, but it would probably be worth it.)

KIervin
First Steps

The entire reason I joined the discussion community was to advocate for the food database to be improved.  MFP seems to have the market on tracking food.  Fitbit should partner with them and do the same!  Barcode scanning is the bomb!

gabrielurbina
First Steps

I agree with saraw008 . This Food Database is not great at all. I don't want to install another app just to log my food and know the calories. I dont use it half the time due to the fact that it is limited. I never really know how much of what I eat burns. I was a Jawbone Up user and their app had that scanner with a great food database. I would always use it. I switched over to Fitbit Force because of the screen and the hopeful future caller ID and text notification. Hope FitBit is working on this still. March I read a bit ago....ANYWAYS FOOD SCANNER PLEASE 😃

edwardgr
Jogger

I agree that their should be a notify/update feature on Brand Name food items, because these do change over time.  I have a method for entering homemade food items that I am pretty satisfied with and it does not add to much time in my opinion.  I would like to see a sharing feature though so that my entered items are easily accessible for my family members.  Yes I can turn on friend access to my food log but it is tedious for them to have to open my food log and select each item.  There are definite improvements to be had here.

Kevalicious99
Tempo Runner

Why I never use the food thing here .. MFP is my friend when it comes to food. It syncs here .. so why bother with that here. Never have and never will. Just my 2 cents.

SplitRaindrop
Recovery Runner

Yeah I like MFP. They have a mobile app that includes scanning, allows me to enter recipes (this might only be on a computer)...The database is great and syncs with fitbit. I think it's pointless for fitbit to reinvent what is already out there 

LawsonPrincess
First Steps

I use Sparkpeople.com (it has an app for my phone to record food) and it interfaces with my Flex which I love.  I use Sparkpeople.com website because it has a substancial library of food.  What I would like to see is all the nutritional values that the Fitbit tracks come over from Sparkpeople.com.  An example is fiber is one that isn't interfaced to my Fitbit account.

ChrisCA
Sprinter

@sarahw008 wrote:

and then notify Fitbit for a fix if we find an error in someone elses' logged food.

Absolutely!

Look up banana.

Pretty sure Steak 'N' Shake@ does not have Banana, Large @ 900 calories or Banana, Medium @ 700 cals. They do have a banana shake though.

-> https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Banana+large+/39369

-> https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Banana+regular+/39370

Also, Country Inn & Suites & Denny's don't make bananas. 

A banana is a banana. Dont need 14 different/wrong entries for the same item.

Edit the names of restaurants so there are no duplicates/misspellings.

MOMommy
Stepping Up

I AGREE WITH EVERY ONE OF THESE ENTRIES!  Having to sit and log custom foods because you can't find something similar to what you are having under the current options is time consuming and so frustrating that one just stops tracking their food intake........WHICH IS WHY WE PURCHASED THIS FANCY PEDOMETER IN THE FIRST PLACE!  It is also ridiculous to have four different choices for "Sweet Potato", but NONE are for "BAKED".  Really?  Or six different choices for "Banana".  What have I been missing out on all of my life?   Also, the fact that it doesn't track SUGAR GRAMS in your DAILY TOTALS alongside calories, fat, fiber, carbs, protein, sodium, and water totals is CRUCIAL!  Sugar intake is JUST AS IMPORTANT as Carb and Fiber Intake !!!

Cousinanne
Recovery Runner
Agree with all! Need a fast update to this or I'm going to UP. They offer a barcode scan!
ChrisCA
Sprinter

@MOMommy wrote:
 Also, the fact that it doesn't track SUGAR GRAMS in your DAILY TOTALS alongside calories, fat, fiber, carbs, protein, sodium, and water totals is CRUCIAL!  Sugar intake is JUST AS IMPORTANT as Carb and Fiber Intake !!!

Sugar is carbs and to your body, carbs is carbs.

Doesn'tt matter if it is sugar or other carbs

and fiber intake is important because you can subtract it from the carbs

sarahw008
Jogger

So, I just discovered that myfitnesspal will sync with fitbit via their apps so this solves my issue for the time being. I still don't like having to log into 2 places, I'd prefer fitbit to update their database, but for now, atleast I don't have to enter each food as a 'custom food' on fitbit. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please either do at least as good a job as My Fitness Pall does with their food database or better sync with it.    

The biggest problem I have with having to use 2 programs is that they do not agree with each other when it comes to calories or goals. I would much rather be able to use only the FitBit program for everything but the food database never has what I am eating.

CM

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.