Use Sleep Patterns to Calculate Bedtime Reminder

My suggestion is specific to the existing "Sleep Goals" functionality in the app.

The current functionality is very manual and not very insightful or helpful. For example, I have to manually specify my Sleep Goal (time asleep in hours/minutes), and separately I manually specify my Target Sleep Schedule by entering Bedtime and Wake up Time.  Whatever you enter for Target Sleep Schedule isn't in any way connected to your sleep goal.

My suggestion is to make the app more helpful by incorporating logic to the Target Sleep Schedule functionality in the app in order to help you meet your sleep goal.  Specifically, the app should be able to calculate the Target Sleep Schedule Bedtime after you enter your Time Asleep Goal and Wake up Time.

For example:

Let's say I set my Time Asleep Goal to 8 hours of sleep per night.  I specify my Target Sleep Schedule Wake up Time as 7:00am. On average looking at my sleep data I spend roughly 1 hour per night restless/awake.

It should be smart enough to automatically calculate what time you should go to bed in order to meet your sleep goal.  The formula is very simple:  Wake Up Time - (Time Asleep Goal + Avg Time Awake/Restless)

Using my specific example above, I specify a Time Asleep Goal of 8 hours, and my sleep data suggests I spend an hour on average restless/awake each night.  That means I need 8+1 = 9 hours of time in bed in order to meet my Time Asleep Goal of 8 hours.  If I specify 7:00am as my Wake up Time, then to calculate Bedtime would be 7:00am - 9 hours = 10:00pm the night before. This means in order to meet my sleep goal for the night, I need to be in bed no later than 10pm. The app should be smart enough to automatically calculate 10:00pm as my Sleep Schedule Bedtime instead of forcing the user to manually do the math to figure out their sleep schedule.

9 Comments
user74
Recovery Runner

Hey there,

Totally agree about this feature. And it's gonna be easy to implement.

Btw, we have developed a Machine Learning chatbot that does the analysis of your health data to find insights in it (itslili.com). It does a similar job that the feature you have suggested above.

It's currently in public beta and I would love if you would be interested to try it out. Let me know if you are interested and let's get in touch.

Have a good day!

Žan

HOLDERS37
First Steps

I am not sure how my Fitbit actually knows when I go to sleep.  I actually go to bed around the same time 8:30 and get up around 5AM. I use a CPAP.  I know I go to sleep really fast like within five minutes, totally zonked.  My CPAP tracks my start and ending time from when I start until I end.  The time lines never correspond and Fitbit almost always is about one hour late to start giving me data.  Would love to see data in that first hour or two of sleep to see resting heart rate, REM and DEEP data. Perhaps there is a manual way to set the start time to record the sleep data when I go down?  If not it would be nice to have.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @bobby2478, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to use Sleep Patterns to calculate Bedtime Reminders. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Mmy7214
First Steps
Would be nice to set different sleep schedules for different days, similar to how you can designate which days to set your sleep reminder.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mmy7214, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use sleep patterns to calculate bedtime reminders. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

MYLAMEN
Base Runner

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Turn-off-Friend-Requests-to-avoid-romantic-reque...

WHY DO WE NEED TO VOTE JUST ADD THIS FEATURE PLEASE AND THANK YOU

HalfpintFarmer
First Steps
I'm trying to figure out if there's a common bedtime start that results in better sleep, but I'm having a hard time finding that on my own.
fxdfxd
Recovery Runner

Great idea, and probably not too difficult to implement 🙂

EstuardoFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @HalfpintFarmer, thanks for sharing this suggestion about suggested bedtime based on sleep data with us. This idea was already requested in the Product Feedback board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.