Weekly Calorie Deficit for Previous Weeks

I know this has been asked for before, but I don't understand why you haven't provided a way for users to see their weekly total calorie deficit for past weeks, not just the current week as you do now. If I miss recording the number at the end of the week, I have to then manually go back and calculate the calories in and out for each day. Please, please provide a way to see calorie deficit for previous weeks.  That is an important tool to weight loss, the longer term view.  Is there a way to download this data perhaps without it being displayed if you can't provide that (don't know why you couldn't though)  The "see more" option when you go from that tile, really doesn't give you the true "see more" for that statistic.  Thanks!

40 Comments
awifeyforlifey
Stepping Up

I'd like to be able to see my actual calorie deficit number in the mobile app. I want to be able to view this number for selected days/weeks/months so I can compare real-time weight loss with my calorie deficit. 

It would be great to have the option to see this scroll on the band as well! 

Sim123
Recovery Runner

When I click on the "Calories in ve out" tile, I would love to see the calorie deficit history for past weeks insteed of only for the current week. 

Because (unless there is something I don't know) I can only see the current week, unless I am awake at midnight on the last minute of the week, I won't know what the true number is for the week since it resets automatically for the next week.

Clicking on "see more" just takes me to my food log.

Moderator edit: Labels

patspatspats
Stepping Up

Hi, did you ever get an answer to your question?  Was wondering the same thing.  

Sim123
Recovery Runner

Hello - nope, no feedback yet...  Glad to know others want to see the same feature!  Thanks.

patspatspats
Stepping Up

Yeah it does seem like something you'd obviously want to see.  Surprised it's not in there...maybe they want you to buy the premium service?  

patspatspats
Stepping Up

bump

Sim123
Recovery Runner

What does "bump" mean?

patspatspats
Stepping Up

Bumping a thread helps put it back on the top of a messageboard and have an unanswered question get answered.   

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
HeydyF
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi there! I think that this could be very helpful so we can have a more detailed control of the calories in vs calories out. 

Thank you for sharing this idea! 

Status changed to: New
HugoFitbit
Premium User
Jogger

Hey there! What a great idea. This will aid many users that are striving to lose some weigth as having access to the calorie deficit will generate a clear idea of the effort towards achieving a goal. Robot wink

mattbatt
Jogger

Yes, I'm new to FitBit, been logging food for almost a month. I NEED THIS FEATURE! Right now, I'm forced to manually add up all outtake calories and then subtract the calories I took in and find the deficit.

This is extremely important because the leading industry ADMITS 3,500 calories does not necessarily equal a pound of fat. For some matabolisms, it can be closer to 7,000 calories per pound of fat. So we really need to see accurate deficit numbers to compare to weight loss numbers and see what is going on in our body.

Thank you.

uofmmom24
Jogger

Please include the capability to look at calorie deficits by week and month going back in time.  It is the best way to gauge calorie intake versus expenditure against weight loss goals.  You can lonly look at the current week's calorie deficit, which isn't enough.  Also you can't see the current week's calorie deficit on the phone app, only at the computer. Or at least I can't find it and I looked everywhere!  Thanks.

jennmo83
First Steps

I could not agree more. I am a Masters in Public Health in Nutrition from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and RD/CDE. Calorie deficit is the ultimate measure of weight loss. FitBit tracks this as a goal but does not provide any app statistics and progress beyond "day" for "weeks/months/year" like is does for the other units of measure. This is a short-coming of the application. What if I exceed goal one day--I should be able to make it up over the week. I traveled to Italy this past month and ate--I want to do my best before leaving and up on return to earn those calories over the month--please help me see calorie deficit over time.

I would like to recommend this product to my patients and I myself love it, but I am doing this math myself (total calorie expenditure over time - total calorie intake over time = calorie deficit progress. Yields weight loss if you meet/exceed appropriate goal!!!). Please help us track this goal!

SRen11
First Steps

I have been wanting this feature since I got my Charge HR over a year ago. In general, it would be really nice to be able to see summaries of all the stats for each week and month, not just the bar graphs we have available or the relatively useless weekly summary emails. What good is a weekly summary if you have to open a whole separate app for email and do all the calculations yourself to see what you have accomplished.

uofmmom24
Jogger

Dear FitBit Programming Engineers: It appears that FitBit users have been asking for the ability to look at calorie deficit progress over periods of longer than one week for a number of years now.  Since this is already calculated for a one week period, why can't that info be stored so that we don't have to manually record this or go back and calculate this by had for earlier weeks.  Please add this feature.  This calculation is really important to those trying to lose weight! Thank you!

JenTalaber
First Steps

I would like the calories in -v- calories out tile to show daily and weekly totals. At the moment it just shows the current deficit which does not really help as if you want an accurate weekly figure you would have to log on at midnight every Sunday! It would also be helpful if you could also choose a date range to see the same information so you don't have to keep a separate note if you would wish to see more historical data.

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @uofmmom24 !

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

uofmmom24
Jogger

We have been waiting for this very simple enhancement for years now. You already have the data, why do we keep asking for this with no success? Just saying nice suggestion year after year doesn’t help much! This is a basic piece of needed data that we have to go back and add up manually, and then can do so only for the prior week. Please make this change and make a lot of loyal Fitbit   Users happy and healthier! Thank you!!!

Beck.Leah.E
First Steps

I would really like for Fitbit to track and graph my calorie deficit (or surplus) similarly to how track weight, body fat percentage, sleep and sleep: By day, week, month, three months, year, and all.

It seems like I'm not the only person who would like to see this capability.  The good news is that this feature is 100% in the app, not the device itself, so it ought to be easy to implement across all trackers.

I'd love to see some progress on this.

TammyBoBammy
Jogger

Yep. Same here. It really shouldn't be that hard for the Fitbit app to calculate overall deficits for months and years. The data is already there. But for us to do it by hand would take forever!  

I want to see my overall deficit since I got my Fitbit and started tracking CICO and divide by 3500 to see how many lbs I *should* have lost. It would be motivating for me and could give insight into how CICO works and if there's more I need to do beyond just CICO.

Fysk
First Steps

Tile should display a amount of calories under per week so you can see if you're on track for your weekly weight loss goal

AylaDanielle
First Steps

I do HIIT and Resistance Band Training. However there are no options for that when logging my exercise for the day. It’s funny that there’s mowing the lawn, driving and other choices, but not HIIT, Resistance or even like “Core Workout” or any other options 

Lashes77
Recovery Runner

Hi everyone ! I think it would be great if we could see our total calorie deficit for the week ( as that is linked to weight loss). 

Cathsama
Jogger

Still no news?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.